Jackshaft support bracket came loose...TIFU

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Jackshaft support bracket came loose...TIFU

Postby RichardK » Tue 14.06.2016, 08:42

If you have had your RH driveshaft out or loosened the two bolts that hold the jack shaft bearing support bracket then PLEASE check to see if they are still tight, I am pretty sure that two years ago when I replaced the front wheel bearings they were properly torqued up. No locktite though,

TIFU - in the middle of nowhere on a long fast run from Cape Town & made the decision to limp home until I couldn't..... :cry:

Rich
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. Stock.
RichardK
Fanatic

Re: Jackshaft support bracket came loose...TIFU

Postby chrisP » Thu 22.09.2016, 10:56

I have only just seen your post, I had exactly the same problem a few years ago, the bolts worked loose and the shaft came out of the gearbox, I now double check them each time I change the oil filter!
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Artaban » Thu 22.09.2016, 12:34

:agree:
I check them regularly now as well. A few years back I had only one of the two bolts holding it on. SJ's thankfully spotted it in time while servicing the car. Ross at SJ's thought it might be a non standard thread on the bolt. Does anyone know what it is as the parts guide is no help at all in identifying the spec of the bolts? They don't appear to have a part number?
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 22.09.2016, 14:12

They are part number A100F6034F. I will try to remember to pull one and get the thread size/pitch. I don't think it is weird, but they DO have a short shoulder.

Most short bolts you can buy locally are fully threaded. These are short but with a shoulder so the threads don't wear the hole in the jack shaft if the bolts were to come loose.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 22.09.2016, 14:57

Again, going from memory (because i was in the same boat with loose bolts!), the thread is fairly standard, but the spanner size wasn't what you'd normally have for that thread....

.... my (failing!) memory seems to recall that it is a 14mm spanner size, but an M10 thread???? (M10 normally has a 17mm head)....

...but I could be totally wrong :? )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Artaban » Thu 22.09.2016, 16:03

It would be useful to know as I want to be sure I've got the correct bolts in there. I think Ross was referring to the thread pitch at the time as not being standard but I'm not sure what he meant by that. Maybe standard for Isuzu but non standard for Lotus. Is anything standard on a Lotus.
I did take one off to the local fasteners but they couldn't match it.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 22.09.2016, 23:06

Bolt2.jpg

Still a good part number. £3.60 each + vat from Lotus Dealers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Thu 22.09.2016, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 22.09.2016, 23:18

John,

Not sure where the specs came from, or if you measured them yourself from one in your stock, but it doesn't look right in all dimensions....

...the picture indicates an M10 thread, but also a 10mm head (which it clearly isn't from the picture).

Probably just a typo - but if that is wrong, and it came from an 'official' source, then are the other dims correct?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 22.09.2016, 23:21

dapinky wrote:John,

Not sure where the specs came from, or if you measured them yourself from one in your stock, but it doesn't look right in all dimensions....

...the picture indicates an M10 thread, but also a 10mm head (which it clearly isn't from the picture).

Probably just a typo - but if that is wrong, and it came from an 'official' source, then are the other dims correct?

The thread is 10mm 1.5 and the head is 14mm. Sorry for the typo. Now fixed.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Transmission, and Clutch