SJ Gear Cables ?

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

SJ Gear Cables ?

Postby peteoddcar » Tue 18.04.2017, 13:40

My gear cable mount broke at the gearbox end circlip mount has disintegrated.
Temp repair to get me gears to get home was a few tie straps.
Anyone got experience of the SJ Sports cars " Steves alternative" ?

PM reply if preferred thanks
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Re: SJ Gear Cables ?

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 18.04.2017, 14:23

Pete:

I know my cables are higher priced than Steve's but compare the quality (SJs don't even have bushes at the gearbox end, just linkage clevises). The car will be completely different if you get the cables and Short-Shift Kit.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22461&p=329733#p329733

There is a lot of discussion and pictures as these developed and the design is greatly superior as well as the internal friction is greatly reduced. They are smooth, tight, center correctly and will last forever.

They are the next step beyond the earlier Bob B. replacement cables.

The Short-Shift Kit makes the shifter feel like it was designed for a real Sports Car. Please see all of the positive comments over the 10 pages.

You can always get a set of the remaining S2 cables from Lotus:

B100F0030F Gear Change Cable £144.50 + VAT
A100F0031F Crossgate Cable £117.81 + VAT
A100F0033F Abutment Bracket £19.91 + VAT
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Artaban » Tue 18.04.2017, 18:34

Pete,
Just go with John's. I can highly recommend them and its something I should have done when I first bought the car but left it until one of the last jobs. Much much better than the originals. Not that difficult to fit either.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby daveiow » Tue 18.04.2017, 20:42

Artaban wrote:Pete,
Just go with John's. I can highly recommend them and its something I should have done when I first bought the car but left it until one of the last jobs. Much much better than the originals. Not that difficult to fit either.
Andy

:agree:
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,PNM rear calipers,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!(oh and a new hood and paint) sold
Evora n/a
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone!
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby peteoddcar » Tue 18.04.2017, 20:55

Thanks for the advice - I will probably go for it.
However - I think I have engineered a reasonable fix to my current problem which is the failure of the circlip feature.I have made a 3/16 thick mild steel collar which is a good fit to the rear of the adjuster drilled two holes diagonal in the gearbox bracket, tapped M5 corresponding holes in the collar and two 50mm M5 cap heads. It holds the adjuster really nicely.when I have adjusted the gear cables properly, twist the locking ring, then I will tighten the two M5s locking everything in position hopefully.
We will see on Thursday when it goes back together.
Strip down was quite straight forward.
I like the idea of Johns solution but I need to find a way to build up the hobby car fund :(
I think I will be selling some bits on eBay! :D
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby peteoddcar » Thu 20.04.2017, 22:04

My mod is working just fine I think I will do the same to the cross gate cable ferrule / adjuster.
I also removed the nylon ball cups in the lever and reversed them so the worn part is now on the othe side - this has corrected much of th free play.
Gear change has never felt better in my ownership of the car
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 20.04.2017, 23:22

Pete: Find someone that has a short-shift kit installed and try that. You will be amazed at the difference in the shift feel and response. Basically, all you did was return the car to the original and lifeless design.

I really don't mind you not buying my kit, but you are kidding yourself if you think the shifting on a stock M100 is decent. My 100E anglia had a better shifting feel than my M100 did.

I am happy that you found a solution to keep you on the road. Enjoy the summer weather. :burnout:
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Fri 21.04.2017, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Steve A » Thu 20.04.2017, 23:34

It really is a must :bonk:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby rip » Fri 21.04.2017, 08:51

I remember when Dico drove my Elan when it had the original shifters. (His Elan had the original Dave's short shift fitted).
He changed gear & looked down in horror at how far he had to move the gearstick & how lifeless & imprecise it felt.

I since fitted AB shortshift & cable as well as shortening the gearstick by 1/2". This is a massive improvement over the original & was done before John's were available.
I suspect John's shift & cable may be even better too but have not compared them. If I bought another Elan, I would consider it to be an essential upgrade.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Steve A » Fri 21.04.2017, 09:47

The standard set up is likened to a stick of celery in a vase :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 21.04.2017, 10:14

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Pete: Find someone that has a short-shift kit installed and try that. You will be amazed at the difference in the shift feel and response. Basically, all you did was return the car to the original and lifeless design.

I really don't mind you not buying my kit, but you are kidding yourself if you think the shifting on a stock M100 is decent. My 100E anglia had a better shifting feel than my M100 did.

I am happy that you found a solution to keep you on the road. Enjoy the summer weather. :burnout:

A seriously huge improvement over standard. (Usual disclaimers except I have fitted them to mine!!)
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 21.04.2017, 10:21

I'm about to stick my head above the parrapet, and expect incoming fire for this............

........ When I got the red elan, one of the first things I did was buy a short-shift kit (Dave's Mk 2 design).....and never fitted it. I didn't find the gearshift too much of a problem, and it worked fine on road and track - I suppose I just got used to it.

Now, I'm sure some are thinking "You should have fitted it, you donb't know what you're missing"......

..... so when I bought the blue car, I fitted it to that one. (Both cars on Original SE cables).

Getting to drive both cars at various times, I found that whilst the short shift was quite nice, I actually preferred the distance of travel with the OE setup - and the less effort involved in making the shift.

Maybe it's my driving style (I went to the '3-second gearchange' school of motoring), but i just prefer it.

I find that on track, it is quite easy to rush the gearchange and 'force' the stick too far, risking damage to the cables/joints.....

I am totally sure that if I had Johns new cables, then that worry would dissapear and it would all improve - but I wouldn't fit another short-shift to my own cars.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.04.2017, 13:51

Hi Dave: I actually agree with you !

I experimented with the short-shift kit "only" option and on stock cables it increased the load significantly and I decided it was too likely to break the original cables, especially as they aged and got even weaker. The cable attachments actually come very close to hitting each other if you are trying to shift quickly (not a fault of Dave's design), so I decided to modify the design to work only with the Teflon sleeved, heavier duty, rod-end cables I was making. With the cable and all pivoting parts being lubricated by the Teflon and going from 3mm cables to 6mm, they are stronger, very quick to move and much stronger.

I caught a bit of flak when I announced I wasn't making the short-shift kit for the stock cables, but I still think it was a right decision as by then OEM cables were expensive and getting hard to find.

When Dave developed his design, the cables were much "younger" and stronger and less fragile AND the improvement was the best he could offer without completely re-designing the cables entirely. By the time I started making my version of his kit, I worried that I would damage buyer's OEM cables, not help them. By removing all (most, really) of the friction at the pivots, it is amazing how smooth (and short) the shift experience can be.

I know the cable/short-shift kits are not cheap. Believe me, extra money for car improvements is as tight or tighter for me. It only took an extra 8 years to get my project repainted after the first shop mucked it up.

I did offer Pete a good used "stock cable" from those I collected when I was experimenting, but he was able to come up with a way to support his broken cable ends and they should work until the actual cable breaks.

I appreciate the support and suggestions from those that bought my kits but I know that the fun is in driving and not having to destroy the home budget to get the car shifting again.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby peteoddcar » Fri 21.04.2017, 20:00

Hi all,
The response as always is amazing - the opinions offered are well founded and valuable. :bowdown:
My own perspective is that I want this car to remain as original as possible and that includes the drivability and feel. :bonk:
My biggest regret so far is dumping the front dampers for adjustable units I will return to OE dampers at some point. :banghead:
John - I did not receive any PM's or the offer of a used stock original cable. :?:

I have two other cars which are very modified - I can develop them in any direction I choose. :-D :burnout:
My Elan however, is the 100th prod car built ( chassis 099 ) there was one that GM had for the museum which never got a vin ID.
I just want it to remain as was intended by that great team that designed, developed and built it. :clap:
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.04.2017, 20:07

Sorry to hear you didn't get my email. I sent it to the BTconnect address in your profile on the 18th.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby peteoddcar » Fri 21.04.2017, 22:32

And yes I know I have seriously modified the seats and trim - but someone had already messed with them - I will buy a standard set of full leather red stripe seats and inserts if anyone had some for sale
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 22.04.2017, 22:46

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Sorry to hear you didn't get my email. I sent it to the BTconnect address in your profile on the 18th.

Got it now it went to junk for whatever reason.
I have replied
Thanks
Pete
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby JossElan » Thu 06.07.2017, 19:06

I've just fitted SJ cables. Two issues:

1) The cables are stiffer and the length between the two bracket mounts is too long (I think the main issue is with the cross gate cable). This results in the cables pushing against the engine block as they bend towards the gear box bracket; this, in turn, makes it very difficult to push the gear stick assembly far enough back into the tunnel to bolt back in. Solution: adjust the cross gate cable bracket connectors to reduce the length as far as possible. (However, if you do the gear stick end too much the assembly won't go back into the tunnel hole.) And a bit of brute force!

2) The length of the gear box end of the cross gate cable is too short - the section from the bracket connectors to the bell crack connector. My simple solution was get a 30mm M6 Distance male/female Bolt (£1.80 +p&p - eBay). This simply extends the cable a little.

You'll also need a few m8 nylon and steel washers for the gearbox end. And maybe some grease and new R clips.

With that all done they are now great. Happy to advise further if anyone needs a hand.
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 31.07.2017, 14:31

Just a brief note:

I have a few more cable kits (with or without short-shift kits) available. I haven't had an order for "cables only" since the original release and that was only because I didn't have the short-shift kits available then. Most of the "cable only" buyers have since picked up the short-shift kits for their cars BUT the cables alone are a huge improvement and a short-shift kit isn't required.

I can offer a short-shift kit for the original Bob B. cables if anyone is interested. It has proper metric rod end studs so the motion will be at the ball, not at the pin. Much smoother solution.

Buyers will not experience any issues during installation as the cables are the correct length and have been assembled, installed and tested on a real M100 prior to shipment.

Please see the development thread (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22461) and email me any questions you might have.

A heartfelt "Thank You" to all that have supported this project.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Tue 01.08.2017, 02:31

Hi John, is there an easy way to find out what cables are fitted to my car?
When I bought it there was a set of broken cables in the trunk - so I know they've been replaced, but I don't know if it was with stock cables or with yours.
Seems the cable diameter might be the easiest indicator?

I'd like to go to the quickshift - but I don't have the budget at the moment to replace working cables and a short-shift.

Thanks as ever for your help.
CalElan
Fanatic

Next

Return to Transmission, and Clutch