Clutch cable gone

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Clutch cable gone

Postby B_land » Sun 06.08.2017, 12:48

Well I write this waiting for recovery lost clutch pedal so think the cable has gone It's a Sunday so no one will b open so will have to get recovery home then I cannot drive it to a garage, how easy is it to replace the clutch cable I see sj sports sell them

Thanks
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Clutch cable gone

Postby B_land » Sun 06.08.2017, 14:21

Well looks like the cable does pull the clutch lever but will not disengage drive so I think something in the clutch has failed. Any thoughts? :banghead:
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 06.08.2017, 15:49

B_land wrote:Well looks like the cable does pull the clutch lever but will not disengage drive so I think something in the clutch has failed. Any thoughts? :banghead:

Just pulling might not be the answer. It has to pull "enough" to open the gap between the cover and the disc.
Here are the pages from the service manual. Verify all the bits are where they belong and the adjustment is correct.
Clutch Cable.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby B_land » Sun 06.08.2017, 16:56

Thanks BCN
All bits are in place and have adjusted slightly to achieve 3mm gap between trunnions and lever. There use to be some resistance in the pedal but now there is none. Before today I had noticed on occasions some pedal judder at the top when changing gear.
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.08.2017, 18:47

From what you say it sounds like something is definitely broken - without removal of the gearbox it will be difficult to acurately guess what it is.

There is a possibility that it could be the operating fork (the bit that bears on the release bearing) - that *should* give you an extremely light clutch pedal - and a lever that you can move by hand at the bell housing (where the cable attaches).

If it is still too tight to move by hand, it is more likely to be a failure in the cover plate (if the pedal is lighter than it used to be).

If the pedal feels as it always did, then the springs in the plate(s) are possibly okay, and it is a failure of the bearing.

In any event, by the time you have stripped it all down to find the problem, it is probably false economy NOT to replace the 3 parts of the clutch as a whole unit.

If at all possible, I would suggest not running the engine until it is done, as any moving parts will probably be out of alignment and can cause wear to the solid castings. :(
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby B_land » Sun 06.08.2017, 20:16

Thanks dapinky
Ok so the clutch bite was high and a new clutch was due soon, does a clutch kit provide all the bits needed and where's best to get it

Thanks
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.08.2017, 20:48

I have always got mine from Rock Autos - usually when they are on a 'close-out' offer - but not something which is needed very often.

Bear in mind that you need to ensure that you get the right size - some of those listed for the 1.6 turbo Impulse are the wrong size for an SE (but correct for an NA) - you need to look for the 1.8 Impulse (for extra options), and check that it is 8 7/8" diameter, not the 7 7/8"....

... at the moment, the Exedy (8 1/2" diameter, but close enough!) or the Sachs are the ones I would choose.

Also, due to the weight, shipping is quite high, and also they seem to be using DHL for a lot of their European stuff at the moment, this goes via Germany and you are likely to get hit with a bill for VAT and handling.... it may be worth trying some of their more expensive shipping options which allow you to pay the VAT up front and get it sent direct to UK....

...eg, for the Sachs unit it is listed as £115.73 - then you can choose cheapest shipping at £18.40, but VAT will be collected by Parcelforce on behalf of DHL on behalf of UK C&E....along with a £12 "handling fee"..... but if you choose the next shipping option it costs £23.77, BUT you get to pay the VAT with the order, so you have no "Handling fee" this end - so you save £7 and there is no 4-day wait for customs clearance.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby clemo » Sun 06.08.2017, 21:14

At least 4 days customs wait if it gets pulled ..
Whilst my order from rock autos was as required , all 3 of my boxes got pulled at they came from different dispatch locations ( even though i said 2 it was actually 3 boxes) thus costing me a further wack on handling .

if its close on price then i would take away any chance and buy one UK based . Sj's are very quick to dispatch items .

Im having my gearbox reconditioned at a place in stafford . This guy used to make F1 gearboxes ...
If you want a full strip down and rebuild then i can pass on his details .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby B_land » Sun 06.08.2017, 21:55

Thanks Clemo
I'm not in a hurry, sj with shipping comes in at approx £195 so have taken the chance with RA (sach) at approx £160 shipped. I'll have to think about the gearbox another time as its ok at the moment but who knows I didn't expect complete clutch failure. Timing belt / water pump is also due soon.
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Clutch gone

Postby B_land » Thu 24.08.2017, 21:11

Clutch received from RA with no extra customs or handling charges, now fitted (garage) and running sweet. The garage said they had not seen one fail like this, checked everything and all okay. :bonk:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Fri 25.08.2017, 08:43

Wow! Impressive. That deserves some sort of LEC prize.

Glad you're back in business.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby tb10 » Fri 25.08.2017, 09:07

Thanks for the picture. As John says, impressive, so I've now uploaded it to phone and I'm sure that it can be used to say: "Sorry I'm late darling.........you should see what happened to my clutch........!" :lol:
tb10
God

Return to Transmission, and Clutch