Short Shift similar to Dave's

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Short Shift similar to Dave's

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 10.08.2017, 23:26

I have had a lot of emails from owners looking for just the short shift kit and until now, I have discouraged anyone because with the high failure rate of original SE cables due to plastic fatigue, I feared that changing the mechanical advantage of the gearbox levers (increasing the pressure on the cables when shifting) would probably stress the cables and cause failures that might have survived longer if the kit hadn't been installed.

I always answered the request with that information and most of the time was asked to reconsider and let them know when a short shift kit would be available.

As I am again making parts for the cables/short shift bundle, I thought I might ask what interest there would be in a short shift kit alone (as long as I don't get letters from lawyers requesting settlement to replace any broken cables :bonk: )

The kits would be the same basic parts as I supply with my cables except the fore-aft adapter would have the required pin so the cable end has somewhere to attach.

Price would be $135.00 and postage to the US would be $13.00 and International would be $37.00.

If there is enough interest, I will design the modifications and should be able to start supplying kits in 3 weeks.

You need to know which shift cables are installed in your car so I can be sure to provide the correct fittings. If you don't know how to tell, you can EMAIL me and include a decent picture of your cables where they attach to the gearbox.

Since you will have to adjust your cables after installing a short shift kit (position of gear lever will move a bit) and you have AB cables but not the special wrenches, I can supply a pair of those for $15.00 additional.

wrench1.jpg

If there isn't any interest, then no problem, I just thought that maybe I was being a bit too conservative.

I have placed orders from my suppliers for more of the cable kit components and I have a few cable kits available now (with or without the short shift kits) as posted in my Cables posting: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

If someone else is offering a short shift kit, I am not aware of this, thus my offer. I will back off if that is an issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 13.08.2017, 13:55, edited 3 times in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: Short Shift similar to Dave's

Postby CalElan » Thu 10.08.2017, 23:55

As you know John, I'm interested in the SSK and am with your help trying to work out what cables I currently have.
I can definitely swing the cost of the SSK past my better half with no issues -- BUT the cost of replacing cables that already work may well provoke THAT LOOK!

However, if those cables were to break... then replacement would be a necessity wouldn't it?? No questions asked! :shock:
CalElan
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 11.08.2017, 00:07

Andrew, you hit it on the head. Going to my new cables after a failure would require swapping the M8 pin for a rod end stud but it is doable at your end, and except for the second postage, it would be about the same anyway.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Fri 11.08.2017, 00:12

Then I am in.. just depends which version of the SSK I need.. TBD
CalElan
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 11.08.2017, 00:17

Basically, ALL of the cables EXCEPT Bob B.and mine would be the same.

You need to take a decent picture of the shift cables at the gearbox and send it to me and I can tell you what you have.

SE, S2 and AB cables all attach and work exactly the same. Bob B. cables are like mine except the rod ends are metric not imperial.

I can also make a SSK for the Bob B. cables using rod end studs instead of pins which don't take advantage of the bearings at all. It would be a few dollars more, but nothing outrageous.

None of my cars have air cleaners on them so I am not sure how difficult it will be to get a picture. Maybe, hold your cell beneath the clutter and aim it at the gearbox and snap and see what develops?
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 13.08.2017, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby John_W » Fri 11.08.2017, 19:56

Just for information, I have been running a Dave Hall short shift kit (the one with the round counterbalance weight on an arm) since the start of 2007 (30,000 miles) on the original standard SE cables, and have had no problems with cable or cable-end breakage. I therefore wouldn't expect any problems with fitting John's short-shift to standard cables (apart from the fact that they are now 25 years old).

I only changed the original 1991 cables last year for a set of AB cables (that I had been keeping as spares for the last ten years) because one of the "e" clips pinged off the gearbox end in the middle of France last summer owing to a non-simpatico gear change into reverse when I was bullied by a french bus coming the other way at a narrow gap (quickly sorted with 2 tie-wraps). The original SE cables and plastic adjustment ends are still fine, but I haven't been back to France to look for the clip (or the bus driver). I always found the shift with Dave's kit very good, but I try to be mechanically sympathetic when driving, and don't employ the Stevo gear-change technique (well known to Stef and BigErch).

The AB cables were much stiffer when I put them on, and were still not perfect even after modifying one with a rose joint. That's why I decided to buy John's complete short-shift/cables package this year. (Of course it's still on a shelf in the garage because I've been driving the car all summer and guess what? The AB cables have become easier.)

Anyway my point is that a short shift kit is a good addition, and you can fit it to standard SE cables without them breaking. (Unless you're Stevo.)

John

PS John's kit is a lovely bit of crafted engineering.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 05.12.2017, 15:10

Due to the lack of demand and being unable to justify having any quantity of the parts needed to make different versions of these, I will not make any more for the STOCK or AB cables.

If you have a Bob B. cable kit, I can still provide a kit for them as they would basically use the same kit that I provide with my cables.

Sorry, it just ties up to much of my shop and money.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Tue 05.12.2017, 18:14

phew... I got in just in time.. thanks for the great service John..
CalElan
Fanatic

Postby RichardK » Thu 07.12.2017, 04:45

Me too, thanks John, the short shift and cables arrived this week.

:cheers:

R
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. Stock.
RichardK
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 07.12.2017, 05:00

I still make the short-shift kit that matches my cables (and the Bob B. metric cables), just not one for the old "OEM" SE, S2 and AB cables.

If anyone wants to keep their car absolutely original with a set of BRAND NEW "OEM" SE cables (Twist to adjust),
I just acquired a set in the "NEW old inventory stock" I picked up from a US Dealer.

I would want $280.00 + postage for the set of 2 cables.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Transmission, and Clutch