Clutch Cable - Removal & Replacement

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Clutch Cable - Removal & Replacement

Postby par » Tue 07.08.2018, 23:49

I think I may have discovered the worst possible job to do on an Elan :(

Had a go at changing the clutch cable after the plastic adjuster part broke on mine and after a few hours, scraped knuckles and many swear words I have given up!

Sounds nice and simple from the workshop manual: "Unhook the cable from the clutch pedal, and withdraw the cable through the bulkhead".

Unhooking the cable from the pedal was tricky enough as you are working blind while lying in the footwell but trying to get the cable through the bulkhead has beaten me so far. It sits behind the wiper motor so you cannot get at the grommet from the engine bay side and so far have not been able to push through from the interior side as I cant get any implement into that are to push the grommet. I think the grommet has gone hard and is going to need some real force to squish and push it though at the same time.

I need a pair of thin nose pliers about a foot and a half long that can get into a space about the size of a 50p to try and grab the grommet from the engine side and pull out, either that or may have to consider removing the wiper motor which looks a pig of job on its own :roll:
par
Fanatic

Re: Clutch Cable - Removal & Replacement

Postby Jamie N » Wed 08.08.2018, 10:04

Like I said to you before Steven the fact that we have worked on Honda's for so long puts you in a position
whereby you become accustomed to everything being beautifully thought out and engineered in such a way
that its rare to come across anything inaccessible, then when you come to work on the Elan its often just a
catalogue of horrors :D .

Think of how long it would take to swap the clutch cable on a CRX SiR, 4 minutes, maybe 5 !.

If the Elan didn't have such a good looking shape there is no way on earth I would entertain owning one :-D .

Let me know if you need any help and I will pop up later ;-) .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Rambo » Wed 08.08.2018, 12:14

Jamie N wrote:Let me know if you need any help and I will pop up later with a pair of thin nose pliers about a foot and a half long that I have just made up in my workshop -) .

:lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Wed 08.08.2018, 12:30

Jamie you are spot on regarding comparison to Hondas.

I replaced a clutch cable on an 1985 CRX which only took minutes as you say, this lulled me into a false sense of straightforwardness with the Elan!

Would certainly appreciate if you could pop up and I am sure you wont need to fabricate the foot and a half long pliers as Rambo suggests :D
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 08.08.2018, 23:34

Thanks again Jamie for you help in restoring the function of the clutch on my Elan and not a Honda part in sight this time :clap:
par
Fanatic

Return to Transmission, and Clutch