Anyone seen this car? (BRG EBAY / SOLD £5600)

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Anyone seen this car? (BRG EBAY / SOLD £5600)

Postby Dom » Wed 19.04.2017, 17:32

Evening, All.

I've spotted this car for sale: item number 222472144958 on a well know auction site. I wondered if any members had owned it or come across it and what people think.

Many thanks,

Dom

CLEMO EDITED TO REFLECT STATUS
Dom

Re: Anyone seen this car?

Postby Artaban » Wed 19.04.2017, 18:05

Dom,
Check out its MOT history here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk
Its got the usual handbrake problems and the good news is he's replaced the tyres anyway. You could ask him to photograph the "Nearside Rear Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim" just so you know how bad that is. Rear discs could probably be skimmed as the pitting is probably down to lack of use over the past 10 years. Otherwise it looks like a genuine OK example to me that will no doubt benefit from a bit more use.
I bought mine blind from eBay. I figured that I'd get what I paid for it in parts if it turned out to be a dog. This car is an S2 (No:195) so those wheels alone are worth trillions; well somewhere between £1200-£1600 on eBay. If it comes with the full toolkit with penknife.......well then we are into the big money. :-D

Is S2 Number 195 on the register? Anybody close to it?
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Wed 19.04.2017, 20:25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222472144958
Aren't the water marks out of the engine coolant tank a bit suspicious? I'm afraid the water doesn't look very clean?
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby Artaban » Wed 19.04.2017, 21:23

Aren't the water marks out of the engine coolant tank a bit suspicious? I'm afraid the water doesn't look very clean?

I noticed that but later on in the description it says its had a new radiator and full set of silicone hoses so i presumed that any issue on that front might have been sorted. Obviously another question to ask as its an odd colour.
Andy
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby chipp » Wed 19.04.2017, 21:49

Well spotted.
Usually you change a radiator out of necessity.
If there was excessive pressure/temp in the system, that could be a symptom or cause of HGF hence the discoloured coolant.

chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
chipp
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Thu 20.04.2017, 10:00

Get a head gasket tester .
well worth the money .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-2-2x50ml-C ... SwImRYi7-F
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Dom » Thu 20.04.2017, 14:00

Thanks for the input so far. The car is a long way from me, so checking it over in the flesh is not going to happen due to family and work commitments. I'll watch how the bidding goes as my speculative bid has been exceeded. I'll also fire a few more questions, as suggested here, at the buyer and report back.

Thanks again, Dom
Dom

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 20.04.2017, 14:28

My first thought about the header tank overflow was "somebody didn't open the bleed valve on the new radiator when they first filled it" - (trapped air expands on warm up and pushes fluid out.)
Second thought was "coolant looks very mucky, wonder why ... would have been so easy to flush the system out".

If you do buy it watch out for the Green Stuff pads if they are early ones - great when hot, dreadful delay when cold.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Dom » Thu 20.04.2017, 21:22

Right, update time. The seller informs me that the wheel had an issue last time he owned the car, but the owner after him may have addressed it. He's going to confirm. About the coolant he said,

'Well spotted on the water , I know I'm intending to flush the system and give it waterless coolant before the end of the week, doesn't look like they put anti freeze in when they replaced the radiator and all the hoses.'

I don't really know what to make of that!

He hasn't commented on the colour. Could it be BRG and look odd due to the light/photography?

Many thanks,

Dom
Dom

Postby Artaban » Thu 20.04.2017, 21:42

Dom,
I was referring to the colour of the gunk from the header tank. If you can't see the car just buy this one, I think its a bargain now he's dropped the price to £4,750 and it won't have any nasty surprises. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25637&start=20
I think its very close to you anyway.
Andy
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Dom » Thu 20.04.2017, 23:00

Hi, Andy.

Yes, I've been to see Jim's car and it is indeed a good'un. Jim was kind enough to show me around it and talk me through Elan ownership.

All the best,

Dom
Dom

Postby Artaban » Fri 21.04.2017, 17:38

Yes, I've been to see Jim's car and it is indeed a good'un.

So are you buying it? :poke:

If you are looking for something cheaper then that is definitely false economy. What would be your ideal Lotus M100 and whats your budget? You never know someone on here may part with their pride and joy if someone comes round flashing a fat wad of fifties. :D
Andy
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Dom » Fri 21.04.2017, 19:05

I fancy an S2, ideally. I know Jim's car is sorted out and he is an enthusiast through and through, so it would represent a good buy. As for budget, it depends on how much I want the car!
Dom

Postby fillpoke » Fri 21.04.2017, 20:39

It's my understanding that the car in question (NOT Jim's car but the S2) is a former Cat C writeoff!
fillpoke

Postby Artaban » Fri 21.04.2017, 22:46

It's my understanding that the car in question (NOT Jim's car but the S2) is a former Cat C writeoff!

I just asked the seller the question and he confirmed it as a Cat C write off. My understanding was that he had to make this known to any potential buyers as it can seriously effect the value of the car. Does anyone know what the law on this actually is? He has disclosed the nature of the previous damage in his description but is this enough.
Andy
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Sat 22.04.2017, 11:11

fillpoke wrote:It's my understanding that the car in question (NOT Jim's car but the S2) is a former Cat C writeoff!

That is a very harsh* category for just some rear lights .

*Buyer to make further investigations.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Jamie N » Sat 22.04.2017, 12:10

The whole Cat C / D system is a nonsense, I saw a Ferrari go through a salvage auction last week, it was absolutely mangled, looked liked something that should have been crushed, but because its value was more than the (estimated) repair it was a cat D.

So effectively a mangled Ferrari worth 90k and needing 89k worth of repairs is a cat D, and a Honda Civic worth 500 quid but needing a bumper and a bit paint costing 501 quid is a cat C, It makes little sense, I have seen stacks of cat D cars that were very badly damaged, and loads of cat C's that had a scuff or a scratch or a lightly dented panel, the system needs seriously changed.

I would ignore whether some dude in a suit with a pen and clipboard had deemed something to be cat C or D and judge it solely by the actual damage.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Artaban » Sat 22.04.2017, 14:53

Dom,
There are comments from motoring journalists that suggest the S2 is the most sought after but in my opinion its only the most sought after because they perpetuate the myth that its better. It may possibly have been when it was brand new but in reality it was slightly slower and the chassis rumoured to rust more easily. The left over chassis from the SE run were left outside in all weathers until the S2 run in 1994. However the differences now between a 23 year old car and a 27 year old car will be fairly negligible and it will be down to how the car has been looked after. I've seen some real dogs, both SE's and S2's, and likewise some real head turners of both types. Again low mileage is no guarantee of good condition, it often indicates neglect and these cars like to be used. The difference is down to whether its been loved or not and purchasing from an enthusiast is going to minimise your problems and maximise your enjoyment of the car.

Take a tip from someone who learned the hard way. I thought I was buying a bargain that had been reasonably well looked after but after 6 years of ownership and with over £20k of receipts over that time my advice is buy the absolute best you can possible afford regardless of SE or S2. By the way not much of that £20k was labour as I did a lot of the work myself. In hindsight I wish I'd found this forum before I bought the car because I'd have had much more time driving the car and far less time underneath it swearing profusely as the car ripped the skin of my knuckles. I now would never buy from anywhere other than this forum; unless you have a big wallet and like living dangerously.

This is only my opinion so please feel free to ignore it; I won't be offended and good luck with the search. They are great little cars.
Andy
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Dom » Sat 22.04.2017, 17:36

Andy, your advice is definitely sound. I have a Defender and didn't join a forum before buying. I have been relatively lucky with it, but have still had to put my hand in my pocket to get the basics sorted out. The eBay S2 car sold for £5600, but not to me. Although it was probably all right, I can't countenance the prospect of buying something old, complex and expensive without seeing it! I've seen Jim's car and met Jim, and for sure buying from an enthusiast who has cared for his or her vehicle is the way to go. If I can placate my wife, I think I'll be back in touch with Jim very soon!
Dom

Postby alan e » Sat 22.04.2017, 18:28

Take your wife to see the car and take her for a drive in it, job done she will then let you buy no problem.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Next

Return to UK Elans - For Sale