Low Auction Result

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Low Auction Result

Postby MPx » Mon 11.09.2017, 23:28

Not sure where auction results should be posted so mods please move if this is the wrong place! Anyway....

I was disappointed to see what looks like a very fair SE go for only £5280 at a recent Auction in Dorset.
http://www.dvca.co.uk/sale-results-view.php?classic-cars=Lotus-Elan-SE-Turbo5359
I had thought that M100 prices were at last on the rise but this suggests not. Obviously depends on who was there on the day ... and it is the Autumn not late Spring ... but just £5k ... really?
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Re: Low Auction Result

Postby Saltire » Tue 12.09.2017, 10:11

Looking at other results from the same auction, it seems to me that they were all a bit weak, especially for convertibles. As you say, I suspect a combination of time of year and inactive bidders brought this about.

What's the betting this car appears on a dealer site in due course priced north of £9K?
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Postby muley » Tue 12.09.2017, 10:51

I'm not surprised, my sorted BRG achieved well south of that :(

closed loop Everest / S2 seats / recent hood / recent ABC service Inc. cambelt / Samco hoses / new rad / greenstuff pads / drilled and slotted discs / galvanised wishbones / tubular upper links

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby tb10 » Tue 12.09.2017, 21:05

+ buyers premium + VAT....... :poke:
tb10
Fanatic

Postby fillpoke » Tue 12.09.2017, 21:21

With regard to Muleys post about his 'well sorted' M100, well I was the guy who bought it and I wouldn't say it was well sorted. O/s window won't come up, hood not adjusted properly which together with poor seals causes it to leak like a sieve (I asked and was told it didn't!), poor gearchange, glovebox comes completely loose when opened, handbrake not working properly (failed test!), turbo gauge reading boost when turbo not boosting, temperature gauge hardly working at all (I know they all read low by the way), instrument lights on all the time regardless of other lights on or not, o/s seat won't adjust when there's any weight on it, several 'hollow' marks along top of o/s door just below window which will require rectification - and those are just the things that spring immediately to mind! So sorted I would say it was not.....
fillpoke

Postby simonbuk » Wed 13.09.2017, 07:35

I would say a reasonable price ? I just don't think BRG ones get top dollar - not it's most flattering colour.
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 13.09.2017, 11:00

fillpoke wrote:With regard to Muleys post about his 'well sorted' M100, well I was the guy who bought it and I wouldn't say it was well sorted. O/s window won't come up, hood not adjusted properly which together with poor seals causes it to leak like a sieve (I asked and was told it didn't!), poor gearchange, glovebox comes completely loose when opened, handbrake not working properly (failed test!), turbo gauge reading boost when turbo not boosting, temperature gauge hardly working at all (I know they all read low by the way), instrument lights on all the time regardless of other lights on or not, o/s seat won't adjust when there's any weight on it, several 'hollow' marks along top of o/s door just below window which will require rectification - and those are just the things that spring immediately to mind! So sorted I would say it was not.....

'Instrument lights on all the time' is not a fault, was standard on later ones and aTechnical Bulletin dealer mod on early ones - it's to stop condensation forming behind the glass.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Giniw » Wed 13.09.2017, 15:42

Really?
I didn't know that!
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Wed 13.09.2017, 17:05

fillpoke wrote:With regard to Muleys post about his 'well sorted' M100, well I was the guy who bought it and I wouldn't say it was well sorted. O/s window won't come up, hood not adjusted properly which together with poor seals causes it to leak like a sieve (I asked and was told it didn't!), poor gearchange, glovebox comes completely loose when opened, handbrake not working properly (failed test!), turbo gauge reading boost when turbo not boosting, temperature gauge hardly working at all (I know they all read low by the way), instrument lights on all the time regardless of other lights on or not, o/s seat won't adjust when there's any weight on it, several 'hollow' marks along top of o/s door just below window which will require rectification - and those are just the things that spring immediately to mind! So sorted I would say it was not.....

These are all fairly minor things and ones you would typically associate with a 25+ year old M100 which has had multiple owners

My cars, which I also consider to be "well sorted" always seem to have a handbrake and/or rear brake problem come MOT time. We all know that the seals can be a bit iffy by now, some cars can have a bit of a sloppy gearchange, some have poorly fitted hoods (probably replacements ??) the glove box always seems to be badly fitted, the temp gauge never seems to do anything until the fans come on about 2/3'ds the way up the dial etc, etc...

As I say, minor problems and ones that can be sorted easily over the late autumn/winter period when the days are short and the nights long

Have fun ;-)

PS My Black Beastie has instrument/dash lights on all the time irrespective of whether I have the light switch turned on. My yellow one has no instrument/dash lights on until I turn on the headlight switch. Yet another strange M100 anomaly
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Rambo » Wed 13.09.2017, 17:15

MPx wrote:Not sure where auction results should be posted so mods please move if this is the wrong place! Anyway....

I was disappointed to see what looks like a very fair SE go for only £5280 at a recent Auction in Dorset.
http://www.dvca.co.uk/sale-results-view.php?classic-cars=Lotus-Elan-SE-Turbo5359
I had thought that M100 prices were at last on the rise but this suggests not. Obviously depends on who was there on the day ... and it is the Autumn not late Spring ... but just £5k ... really?

Anyway, back on topic, that looks a nice car Mike and probably well looked after. Shame there's only 1 photo 8) Does the o/s door look like it needs minor adjustment and is the clamshell gap a little large to your trained eyes ? Or do I need to book a visit to Specsavers :shock:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby fillpoke » Wed 13.09.2017, 21:27

I agree Rambo, probably minor things. My point was, though, that since I was buying the car from a distance, and without seeing it, it would have been nice to be told the truth about its condition. Certainly if I'd been selling the car these are things which I would have pointed out to a prospective purchaser.
fillpoke

Postby clemo » Wed 13.09.2017, 23:34

Perfect time for me to be selling the red se ...
Doh.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby MPx » Wed 13.09.2017, 23:41

I take the point about Buyers premium / Sellers commission and VAT which I think means the buyer will have actually paid about £5900 and the seller receive about £4900. I thought good roadworthy versions of the M100 had climbed from these values that were being obtained before the current classic car boom. And I must say I'm disappointed that most of the ordinary family cars that I'll be seeing at the NEC Classic show in November will be worth comfortably more than an M100. Just seems odd to me....but that is the market.

Your standards are too high Mark! :roll: I didn't see the car in the plastic, but from the photo, I cant see what's wrong with the door. The clamshell gap is too big, but at least its straight. I think the nearside lamp pod looks a bit out of kilter....but then so is mine at the moment and my car is worth at least £12k! 8)
Last edited by MPx on Thu 14.09.2017, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Thu 14.09.2017, 01:10

lotusflasherman wrote:'Instrument lights on all the time' is not a fault, was standard on later ones and aTechnical Bulletin dealer mod on early ones - it's to stop condensation forming behind the glass.

Giniw wrote:Really?
I didn't know that!

Don't worry you haven't mist :roll: anything it was to " speed daytime demisting of the instruments" which it fails to do. Rather it cooks the black paint and you have stars at night.
Simon_P
God

Postby Giniw » Thu 14.09.2017, 12:06

OK :lol:
Actually I only have some condensation on the oil pressure gauge sometimes (or maybe it is the battery voltage gauge, I can't remember for sure)
Giniw
Fanatic

Return to UK Elans - For Sale