What's the deal with that £24k Elan on eBay?

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

What's the deal with that £24k Elan on eBay?

Postby Foo » Fri 23.02.2018, 23:34

had a dig around but couldn't find anything on here about this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-1 ... Swkr5Zjayb

Cat C writeoff, respray to different colour from the original, and non-standard parts used to replace various.

Props to them for bringing it back from the dead, and the work looks to have been done to a great quality level, but wow 24 grand!?
Foo
Enthusiast

Re: What's the deal with that £24k Elan on eBay?

Postby John_W » Sat 24.02.2018, 00:01

It’s the Elan from SW Lotus first advertised on ebay in August, as referred to in this post et seq:
forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4973&start=1985
John
John_W
Philistine

Postby MPx » Sat 24.02.2018, 00:11

As I understand it, this isn't really a rebuilt write off - although that is how it will always be recorded. The story as told to me...

The guys at the South West Lotus Centre had a wealth of M100 parts including a new chassis. Once M100 values had dropped significantly under £10k it became clear that no insurance company was ever going to pay out for a rebuild if the chassis was bent so that chassis was going to be a long long term stock item. They took the decision to use it to build a "new" M100 from new parts. It was on the front lift in their garage being worked on for several years as a fill in task. Once it was done Phil tried to get it registered as a new car, but the authorities wouldn't allow it and wanted to allocate a Q plate. He didn't want it on a Q plate so decided to register it as a rebuild of a write off and to keep an original plate. I'm not sure what, if anything, of the old car had to be on it to achieve that....but it is essentially a new car...although it has seen a bit of use over the last year or so since it was finished. I understand that the "retail" price of all the parts used was several times the asking price of the car...ignoring the hundreds of hours it took to build. An interesting venture and a nice looking M100 .... I certainly enjoyed watching it come together over the years. If its not been sold, it'll be at their open day in Sept if you want to pop down for a look.
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby Foo » Sat 24.02.2018, 00:35

Ah thank you both, that explains it!

Well, I hope they get what they're seeking back out of it, unfortunately it's well and truly out of my league :)

Sadly I'm out of the country again next month, so won't be able to take a look in person ;(
Foo
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Sat 24.02.2018, 13:40

Think I would have just stuck it on a Q plate and told the story about it being built out of new parts. They would no doubt have all the parts itemised and photo history of the build ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby clemo » Sat 24.02.2018, 18:46

From what i understand it is possible to get a category removed from a car if it can be shown that the car is as was pre damage ?
It is not well known ( and i would have thought that Phil would have known how to do this / so maybe it is too difficult or the car in question as already said would only qualify for a Q plate) .

I wonder with the new classifications if this could be changed again to clean or N or S ?
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 25.02.2018, 14:42

The advert does actually say "We then purchased the car in 2007 as the car had been involved in an accident resulting in a Category C insurance loss". So it doesn't sound like they told you the whole story Mike (MPx).

It looks a stunner from the picks but I'd be surprised if anyone would buy a Cat C M100 for £24k

You used to be able to remove cars from the CAT C/D register until about 1996, the rules are now different . You can get the cat c/d inspected and if it passes get it changed to a "Condition Inspected"....but it's still on the register so future buyers and insurance companies know something happened to it.

Here are the details....(apparently they renamed the Cats too, now S for structural and N for non-Structural).

https://www.autolign.co.uk
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Sun 25.02.2018, 16:53

Aside from the cat c, the color choices for the wheels and interior, while well done, are a little too personalized for a good resale. The dash definitely shows some shrinkage, so that was probably from the wrecked car and not a new old stock part.
Last edited by ElanBRG on Sun 25.02.2018, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Sun 25.02.2018, 17:01

If it is the one that they had at Donington, it's not great.

As any insurance company or valuer will tell you - it may have had a load of money spent on it, but that doesn't mean it's worth more.
Simon_P
God

Postby lotusles » Mon 26.02.2018, 10:13

clemo wrote:From what i understand it is possible to get a category removed from a car if it can be shown that the car is as was pre damage ?
It is not well known ( and i would have thought that Phil would have known how to do this / so maybe it is too difficult or the car in question as already said would only qualify for a Q plate) .

I wonder with the new classifications if this could be changed again to clean or N or S ?

Removal of the category was purely from some governance sites, it still remained on MIAFTR. The cat C indicated that repair costs exceeded the Pre Accident value (PAV).
With regards changing it, cat S & N is only applicable to vehicles inspected and entered on MIAFTR after October 2017.
lotusles
Tinkerer

Return to UK Elans - For Sale