ALL CARS ON EBAY.

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: ALL CARS ON EBAY.

Postby simonbuk » Wed 19.09.2018, 18:50

Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Jamie N » Wed 10.10.2018, 08:54

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan/1 ... Swc1ZbuIGr . Bonnet vents :-D , car described as 'solid red' must
be one of those rare one off colours, and that must be the one off solid matt black rear spoiler unique to one example, thankfully. And that utterly grubby
interior :roll: .

You have to wonder what type of owner is going to choose that example, and what type of dealer would put it up for sale without trying to get it looking
presentable, at least valet the interior, paint the spoiler and get a set of standard SE wheels on it.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 10.10.2018, 15:50

Jamie N wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan/183472384126?hash=item2ab7ce687e:g:mVoAAOSwc1ZbuIGr . Bonnet vents :-D , car described as 'solid red' must
be one of those rare one off colours, and that must be the one off solid matt black rear spoiler unique to one example, thankfully. And that utterly grubby

You have to wonder what type of owner is going to choose that example, and what type of dealer would put it up for sale without trying to get it looking
presentable, at least valet the interior, paint the spoiler and get a set of standard SE wheels on it.

That car should serve as a good example for owners thinking of pimping out their Elan that they just shouldn't do it.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ecc » Thu 11.10.2018, 21:57

Oh my, that's incredibly ugly. The wheels I could tolerate, although they'd be top of the list of things to put back to stock. The bonnet vents are both pointless and unattractive, and the spoiler definitely now fits both definitions of the word. And yeah, who wouldn't at least drag the Henry vacuum cleaner out into the driveway and give the interior at least a cursory tidying up before putting the photos online?

The Elan is one of those cars which is best when left in its natural state when it comes to appearances. Otherwise it ends up looking like the automotive version of that "Monkey Jesus" painting where the lady thought she could restore it but ended up screwing it up. Leave the "pimping" to the Honda Civic crowd.
ecc

Postby Rambo » Fri 12.10.2018, 09:32

:shock: Looking at the colour scheme I think it must actually be based on the Henry vacuum cleaner :shock:

And, for our American cousins who are probably wondering what I'm on about .......

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appl ... 110%20(PLA)%20SDA%20FLOORCARE%20-%20Brand%20Numatic~0110%20Floorcare%20-%20Brand%20Numatic~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=t&ds_kids=92700029790315481&tgtid=0110%20(PLA)%20SDA%20FLOORCARE%20-%20Brand%20Numatic&&gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h20NtTX71zluRuqdmZOgnUsvF0cTtfsjCgv04Xl6JtikbZtOz3RYHxoCi_4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Jamie N » Fri 12.10.2018, 12:37

Rambo wrote::shock: Looking at the colour scheme I think it must actually be based on the Henry vacuum cleaner :shock:

And, for our American cousins who are probably wondering what I'm on about .......

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appl ... 110%20(PLA)%20SDA%20FLOORCARE%20-%20Brand%20Numatic~0110%20Floorcare%20-%20Brand%20Numatic~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=t&ds_kids=92700029790315481&tgtid=0110%20(PLA)%20SDA%20FLOORCARE%20-%20Brand%20Numatic&&gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h20NtTX71zluRuqdmZOgnUsvF0cTtfsjCgv04Xl6JtikbZtOz3RYHxoCi_4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The main difference is... wee Henry is worth more!, the buyer of that thing would share something else with Henry...both suckers :D .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby clemo » Fri 12.10.2018, 17:56

Justins IB10 car listed again ...

hes not selling it . Ive just phoned him again to let him know. Thos must be the second time in 2 months .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-T ... :rk:1:pf:0
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 13.10.2018, 17:51

[url][/url]
clemo wrote:Justins IB10 car listed again ...

hes not selling it . Ive just phoned him again to let him know. Thos must be the second time in 2 months .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-T ... :rk:1:pf:0

Yes, thanks for the call Clemo. I hate the thought of a potential owner being ripped off.

They are pretty quick at taking the advert down. Didnt get an answer from the mobile number on the ad. Certainly not selling and wont for a very long time.

Replaced Coil packs today which has fixed the stuttering on heavy acceleration. Feels like a new car and looks like one too :-D .

Piccie
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 13.10.2018, 19:44

Jamie N wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan/183472384126?hash=item2ab7ce687e:g:mVoAAOSwc1ZbuIGr . Bonnet vents :-D , car described as 'solid red' must

give him some credit... it could be so much worse.. trust me, ive seen some.. :oops:
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby RonR » Tue 06.11.2018, 19:12

Justin's IB10 is up on ebay again - Here...
Persistent buggers, aren't they?

I've reported it as fraudulent, I wonder how long it will take to remove it?
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.11.2018, 19:16

I have reported it too
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 06.11.2018, 19:54

Thanks gents. Unbelievable!

Links seems dead now to me. I think I’ve leaned I’ll put watermarks over any car pics I post now!
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:07

EBay seem to have acted very quickly and efficiently again

Shame they haven't acted in a similar fashion for Jeemy's wishbones and other products :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:16

RonR wrote:Justin's IB10 is up on ebay again - Here...
Persistent buggers, aren't they?

I've reported it as fraudulent, I wonder how long it will take to remove it?

im a bit confused about this.

being Justin's car. isnt the car in he's driveway ?
surely someone trying to sell he's car will get nowhere when the buyer comes to pay and collect and no car appears ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:31

Its in my locked garage...in a few bits at the moment too :-D

The pictures were taken from Dave Nobles advert he posted and the photos he was sending out in emails. 100% sure of that, Dave N took me to the spot he took the photos. I also have the originals. My guess is if you call they'll say there's been loads interested and coming to buy but first to put a £500 deposit down gets it. Or perhaps worse would be come with cash and I'll take it off you when you arrive.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:42

The usual way of doing it is to get you into a conversation off of ebay, then try to get money transferred by EBT (known as Push-Payment Fraud) into an account in their name (except it was opened fraudulently with false documents).... then withdraw the cash elsewhere (using an accomplice), and when you realise it's a scam, the cash is gone.....

... they will send you all sorts of 'links' to suggest that payments made by payPal are secure and that the Ebay 'buyer protection' will cover your transaction - however, if you look at Ebay & PayPal T&Cs they do not apply to vehicle sales.

Often, they offer to deliver the car to you, and tell you that if you aren't happy with it, no problem, you can get your money back from Ebay (except you can't, because it was either (1) a vehicle or (2) sold outside of Ebay.

I do a lot of work for a couple of Facebook groups (EVSA & Bankbusters) to get these people stopped, bank accounts closed and 'customers' their money back - it isn't a quick process, and can take years of persistence.

(There is a lot more to it than that, but thats the very short version).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:47

[quote="Tuga2112"
im a bit confused about this.

being Justin's car. isnt the car in he's driveway ?
surely someone trying to sell he's car will get nowhere when the buyer comes to pay and collect and no car appears ?[/quote]

But he will be able to "steal" the requisite down payment or good faith pre-payment.

Since it is gone as soon as reported, is it the same seller ID or is it different every time?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:53

i get the feeling theres a lot of people around who dont work hard for their money.

any purchase i do with more than 2 figures goes through some degree of fraud checking/security. even within the LEC forum transactions, i always ask around other members (who i personally meet in the past) if they know and would trust the character of the person im dealing with. which has helped me in the past to avoid entering a deal with jeemy when i was in need of a windshield

when i bought every one of the cars i own, i have seen then prior to handing out the money, all car parts i have purchased have been in person (none of this pay now and hope its posted)

i always assumed everyone else would be equally (or even "more") carefull with their hard earned money as i am.

in fact. surfboardfiller can confirm i have done more than 100 miles trips in the past to collect parts from him. also recently in the toyota community i have aborted a deal with someone who "cannot trust my address to someone else" in order to sell car mats.
if someone is not willing to let you meet them at their house to sell their parts. alarm bells go in my head.
also. if your selling me your car, and its parked "in front of my cousin's house" more alarm bells go on. i mean.. isnt it obvious ?
Last edited by Tuga2112 on Tue 06.11.2018, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 06.11.2018, 21:57

Not sure John.I'll start logging them.

The price dramatically varies. I think this is the cheapest I've seen it. You can see it still on an ebay search but no details behind it.

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 20.55.41.png

Interesting info Dave thanks. Should I report this to one of those Facebook groups?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Toys2 » Wed 07.11.2018, 08:00

JusNoGood wrote:Not sure John.I'll start logging them.

The price dramatically varies. I think this is the cheapest I've seen it. You can see it still on an ebay search but no details behind it.

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 20.55.41.png

Interesting info Dave thanks. Should I report this to one of those Facebook groups?

In most cases, they appear to be hacked genuine accounts with good feedback and trading history, which is why they invariably have a contact email within the listing - which is always a warning sign
Besides the obvious, another sure sign is click on "Sellers other items", there's normally Harley Davidsons, Motor Homes, Jet Skis, tractors and if you look carefully the contact email address is often slightly different for each of the 100 fake auctions. I've no doubt that these are often overseas sweat shops banging out 1000's scams

Just for fun, I set up a spoof email address and contacted one of these sellers, the car was "in Aberdeen", I replied that was lucky as "i'm working in the area" (I wasn't!) they came up with all manner of excuses why I couldn't see the car. I even tried a few obvious pun names, like "Ivor Biggun" these weren't picked up by the scammers

As ever, they rely on the buyers greed
Toys2

PreviousNext

Return to UK Elans - For Sale