Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N (SOLD)

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Re: Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N for Sale

Postby lotusles » Sat 15.06.2019, 23:05

All, this is a case of a claim that has gone wrong.
If a garage estimated to repair the vehicle for £x then that would have been the contract with the insurer. If the garage could not estimate because new or replacement parts were not available, and the vehicle was clearly repairable, then the insurer has to offer the last known list price of the non available part.
Therefore assuming the estimate was genuine and the vehicle could be repaired at that cost to reinstate the vehicle to its pre accident condition and will be insurable again, and the repair costs were less than, equal to or more than the pre accident or agreed value then repairs must commence. Where repairs are more than the PAV then a discussion should have taken place with the owner to determine the outcome.
Dont forget that a brand new car will lose circa 25% when it leaves the forecourt, so if you have an accident with a .vehicle replacement policy or GAP insurance, that repairs could easily be quite high and the total loss value will lot met the new vehicle cost if you have finance
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Mon 17.06.2019, 21:11

alan e wrote:Who got the car in the end ?. :poke:

I have a good idea ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby alan e » Mon 17.06.2019, 21:36

Rambo wrote:
alan e wrote:Who got the car in the end ?. :poke:

I have a good idea ;-)

Starts with A and ends with 6 ? :poke:
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby LRS7 » Mon 17.06.2019, 21:55

:cry:
Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Range Rover Evoque
M100 1991 Lotus Elan Se
M100 1994 Lotus Elan S2 #498
LRS7
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Mon 17.06.2019, 22:14

Hopefully we won't be seeing too many turquoise parts on EBay in the near future :(
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby apollo996 » Tue 18.06.2019, 12:06

Yes I did buy it in the end so its SOLD. I wasn't the top bidder or I think even the second, however. The seller advised me he was let down by the highest bidder and knew I wouldn't mess him about so I got it in the end. Definitely not a parts car and I will be getting it back on the road. I will add pictures elsewhere on here when its completed.
apollo996
Tinkerer

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Tue 18.06.2019, 16:51

From my side I like to confirm that the car was sold. I like to thank everyone for their interest and comments.

In the end I had four bids. The highest bidder, a member here, when I called him that I was willing to sell to him, contacted me after a day saying that he had changed his mind. Apollo had said he could arrive with a trailer pretty much a few days later. So despite his bid being the third (by £40), I went for it, not in the least his assurances he could fix the car, and backing that up by accepting to sign an extra contractual clause that a very substantive extra payment will be due to me if not back on the road in a year. From my conversations not really needed, but it was satisfactory to me.

He did acknowledge he had broken up an old Lotus SE, which could not be repaired, but clearly had repaired many others. I do have to say that I think it is easy to criticise someone for breaking up a car, but in reality we all need the spare parts. So those who criticise should never buy a spare part.

When looking at the car more in depth he actually realised that the repairs would not be as difficult as some of you described, while possibly also able to do in a cost effective manner.

I am sure he will do a good job and like to thank him

Again also many thanks all others, who called me, who I had very pleasant phone conversations with, who send over messages via the forum. You all are GRRRRRREEAT
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby tb10 » Wed 19.06.2019, 15:56

So much for the Dutch auction..........it turned out to be a Saudi World Cup / Michel Platini bidding process....! :poke:
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Wed 19.06.2019, 16:20

Witty....but rather insulting. No need for that.

I know your bid was less than Apollo, so not sure what you are referring to. Sour grapes??

Apollo bid less than someone else, who then dropped out. I have been polite about the person dropping out, but of course to some extent … please do not send me a text message with a price you are willing to pay, just to have me a chase up over the phone two days later, and hearing "I have changed my mind". You could even argue that the text message was legally bidding....but that is talk for the lawyers and not so relevant.

Apollo bid £40 less than the second bid, but Apollo had already said before the bid he could pick up immediately and pay immediately, which that other bidder had told me would need to be organised.
Taco_Sieburgh

Re: Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N (SOLD)

Postby apollo996 » Fri 25.10.2019, 19:38

Just back from the paint shop :D
apollo996
Tinkerer

Postby John_W » Fri 25.10.2019, 19:44

Well done! Looks nice. Is it Medina Green or Aqua Blue.
And how much work and time was involved in getting it back to health? Is it MOT’d?
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby apollo996 » Fri 25.10.2019, 19:48

Its in the project (minor) section of the forum.
apollo996
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Sat 26.10.2019, 23:16

Always good to see a car come back round to its former glory
Nice one apollo
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Previous

Return to UK Elans - For Sale