Elan at Brightwells on 12 July (SOLD)

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Elan at Brightwells on 12 July (SOLD)

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 04.07.2017, 22:14

Here is the catalogue

It looks like quite decent one from the pictures.

The star of the sale, though, must be the Sinclair C5.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Re: Elan up for sale at Brightwells on 12 July

Postby muley » Wed 05.07.2017, 07:37

Shirley the AC has to be the best car there?

Elan looks good, can't see interior so I suspect it is cloth..

(I know where two C5s are stored so if the mood ever took me I could recommission and sell on :). )

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby John_W » Wed 05.07.2017, 09:00

Lots of lovely stuff. Just as well I'm not in England with a cheque book.
:lol:
John_W
Philistine

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.07.2017, 09:02

muley wrote:Shirley the AC has to be the best car there?

Shirley the AC sounds a bit of a girlie name for a boy's toy :twisted:
Rambo
Underage drinker

Postby theelanman » Wed 05.07.2017, 14:59

muley wrote:Shirley the AC has to be the best car there?

Im with you Jim......
always fancied a AC3000M.........

:-D
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby HJ2 » Wed 05.07.2017, 15:40

That AC...... Woooooooowy! I'll take it please! :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 05.07.2017, 17:48

Let's be honest though - the AC is probably a really pants drive ?

Did it have the Ford Essex V6 in it or something ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Rob P » Wed 05.07.2017, 18:05

Ford 3 litre V6 transversely mounted and matched to a custom made Transmission.
Sadly the performance doesn't match the looks with a top speed of 120 and 0 - 60 of 8.5 secs. Only about 100 made but a car that I really like. the one at Brightwells doesn't have the customary Wolfrace slotmag wheels that the vast majority had but it is a nice looking motor car.
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Wed 05.07.2017, 20:51

That Elan would be perfect for Gee21. Graeme! :poke: . Says it was originally registered in Bradford but the plate (MS) is a Stirlingshire registration code :? .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby M100_DMM » Fri 07.07.2017, 14:19

simonbuk wrote:Let's be honest though - the AC is probably a really pants drive ?

This article might answer some of your questions on the 3000ME.
Serial Elan owner: 2002 - 2012. I may yet buy another one...
M100_DMM
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 07.07.2017, 16:59

On the :offtopic: subject of the AC ... I ran a couple of Scimitar GTE's from '74 to '90 and founder and Chairman of the Reliant Scimitar and Sabre Owners Club was Robin Rew who operated from a Unit on Silverstone Circuit, (Eddie Jordan's F3 outfit was couple of doors away). Robin had turbocharged the Ford Essex V6 in his Scimitar coupe and did a similar conversion on his AC3000ME. I went to buy a GTE rear axle with LSD from him on an exchange basis and he had a couple of customer's AC 3000ME's there to convert.

I'd been thinking returning my old axle would just be a boring drive, offload it and drive back but when I arrived he was just about to set off on a 'shakedown run' round the Silverstone perimeter road in one of them and said 'jump in'... let me have a drive too, a very memorable 1/2 hour. Nice car to ride in and not 'pants to drive' at all but his Rooster Turbo conversion produced around 200 bhp so a bit more fun than standard ... think SE compared to NA and you won't be far out . :lol:

This site mentions 17 with turbo conversions ... ac3000me.com - buyers guide
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby alan e » Fri 07.07.2017, 19:53

I had 2 Scimitar back in the 70s one had a reg BOY 25H how I wish I still had it Quick car in its day but a bit tail end happy if you pushed it to hard.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Fri 07.07.2017, 21:10

M100_DMM wrote:
simonbuk wrote:Let's be honest though - the AC is probably a really pants drive ?

This article might answer some of your questions on the 3000ME.

Good write up David.

Was down in Leominster last week (my home town) to have a look. Cracking car and I might be bidding on it for a client if I can talk his bottom price up a bit :( Mind you, that lift off oversteer on a greasy Scottish Borders road would take some handling :burnout:

I didn't see the M100 when I was there so it is maybe a late entry ?? Looks nice from the photos so may be tempted to press the button :twisted:
Rambo
Underage drinker

Postby Steve A » Fri 07.07.2017, 22:11

alan e wrote:I had 2 Scimitar back in the 70s one had a reg BOY 25H how I wish I still had it Quick car in its day but a bit tail end happy if you pushed it to hard.

:oops: I was also once an owner of what was commonly known a "plastic pig", has anybody mentioned princess Ann yet :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 07.07.2017, 23:37

Oh, Sod it... trying not to go off topic about GTE's so sent a PM to Alan but what the hell ... Steve, never heard of 'plastic pig' but was in Letchworth in one when the man who designed it introduced himself to me... and told me Princess Anne and Charlie often had 'conversations' with Speed Cops...

PM to Alan was ...

When I gave up racing Mini's at end of '74 I looked at secondhand Elan Plus 2's and GTE's. A lot of Plus 2's I couldn't afford said '£600 spent on driveshafts' and those I could afford and test drove had ominous clunks from the rear so bought a SE5 GTE in Ford Pacific Blue - a deep torquoise, nothing like Elan P.B. Nice car until the gelcoat started cracking like crazy paving after a couple of years. Having a 17 gallon fuel tank behind the rear axle certainly made it tail happy in the wet on a full tank. Great fun though, very predictable and an all round useful car, cheap to run and great for camping holidays too. If the weather was dreadful you could empty the car into the tent, put the seats flat and sleep in the car, warm & dry! Then I came across a very nice Highland Purple SE5A with full length Webasto sunroof, tan leather interior and bent valves due to 'the fibre camwheel broken' problem but at a bargain price I couldn't resist :lol:

Used my connections with Oselli Engineering, who were doing a 3.1 conversion of the Essex V6 with 227 bhp , to help sort out 'an interesting engine' to go in the SE5A. Didn't increase capacity and don't know what power at the wheels was but it needed the LSD rear axle I got from Robin Rew. Came in useful in Suffolk in the early '80's when we had several winters with a lot of snow. LSD and chains on the rear and that steel chassis plate underneath the rad' back to the sump meant I could charge through snowdrifts like a snowplough. B roads in Suffolk seem to zigzag along the edge of fields so lots straight followed by 90°right, straight followed by 90°left etc and you could look across the fields to see nothing is coming and enjoy a bit of 'tail out' with the GTE ... Next car I bought was an Eclat Riviera and then realised the GTE was really just a 'high speed Ford tractor' ... going through corners I knew at much higher speeds and nothing was happening until I eventually found the Eclat would 'drift' beautifully at a cornering speed that seemed unreal, no tail out, no understeer, just a little drift ... but Eclat is a much lighter & wider car, bigger tyres, and much lower C of G when compared to the GTE. I ran both for a while as the Eclat wasn't very reliable and GTE certainly wasn't quick compared to the Eclat. Good value for money though...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sat 08.07.2017, 16:32

lotusflasherman wrote:Oh, Sod it... trying not to go off topic about GTE's so sent a PM to Alan but what the hell ... [/i]

As initiator of this topic, feel free to head off in any direction you wish :D

There is a whole auction of interesting cars to pore over.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Sat 08.07.2017, 19:23

Rusty Wishbone wrote:There is a whole auction of interesting cars to pore over.
:agree:
You are certainly right there. I have locked my cheque book away.
I was at the Glamis show today and there was an Austin Healey 3000 mk3 that had me twitching to let the moths out of my sporran. :wink:
John_W
Philistine

Postby M100_DMM » Sat 08.07.2017, 21:34

Rambo wrote: Mind you, that lift off oversteer on a greasy Scottish Borders road would take some handling :burnout:

I didn't see the M100 when I was there so it is maybe a late entry ?? Looks nice from the photos so may be tempted to press the button :twisted:

Modern tyres and a small tweak to the suspension geometry work wonders, Mark.

The Elan looks nice, but I'd be inclined to give it a fairly thorough once-over (in so far as permissible) before throwing my wallet in the ring.
Serial Elan owner: 2002 - 2012. I may yet buy another one...
M100_DMM
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Sun 09.07.2017, 00:50

Steve A wrote:
alan e wrote:I had 2 Scimitar back in the 70s one had a reg BOY 25H how I wish I still had it Quick car in its day but a bit tail end happy if you pushed it to hard.

:oops: I was also once an owner of what was commonly known a "plastic pig", has anybody mentioned princess Ann yet :lol:

I found an old picture of my "Plastic Pig" :D BTW I also had it sideways :-D
Even the incidental background cars are classic's :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Saltire » Sun 09.07.2017, 07:37

Now that's what I call a "courageous" car colour (the Minor convertible in the background). Or has the film faded somewhat? I certainly don't remember it being a standard factory colour.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Next

Return to UK Elans - For Sale