Lotus Elan Development car IB10 (SOLD)

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Lotus Elan Development car IB10 (SOLD)

Postby Lotusman33 » Sun 24.09.2017, 12:49

Lotus Elan Initial Build 10 - Factory Development car - Last Elan to leave Hethel?

IMG_0720.JPG

Nearly 34000 miles
Registered in 1996 on a 'P' plate as new this very rare collectors Elan was one of the 10 initial builds, hand built to test the production line in 1989.
This example was removed from the line and held by Lotus until 1996 when it was sold off at the end of Bugatti's ownership.
During its time in Lotus ownership it was taken from the line by powertrain engineering and emissions where it was handed to Roger Becker and John Miles. It was then used to develop the closed loop system for federal export models along with power and suspension modifications, the car was built to press car standard and used at the factory to demonstrate the model to VIP's.
Later in life the car was used to develop the S2 and ended its factory life in the design studios dressed in prototype coupe set up.
The Elan has a modified factory ECU and wastegate, it sits on development suspension springs from its federal development days.

The Elan is in great condition with excellent seals, roof, interior and superb paintwork. The chassis is also very good with perfect outriggers and A posts. Chassis treated with Dynax S50 cavity protection.

Nardi steering wheel and original tool kit.

S2 Spec with very low mileage and recent MOT with no advisories.

This is a unique opportunity to buy a rare collectors car which can only appreciate in value.

Factory Heritage certificate included and letter from Lotus to DVLA confirming cars identity and development status.

Car will now be in storage from Mid October until spring where the suspension will be rebuilt with refurbished UK spec equipment and 4 wheel alignment, new tyres and fresh service/MOT.

Dave :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Development Car IB10
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Re: Lotus Elan Development car IB10

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 14.01.2018, 22:15

Hi Dave,

I'm looking for a M100 and saw your advert. I've sent you a message from car and classic but the guys here pointed out you're a member, & Rambo pointed me to this Ad.

Could you please send me some new pictures showing the UK suspension and aligned bonnet please? Could you please also send me a photo of the proof you have that it's special.

Are you and the car still located in Plymouth? Are you close to a train station? Trying to work out how I'd get down from Reigate to see the car.

Regards

Justin
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Re: Lotus Elan Development car IB10 (SOLD)

Postby clemo » Sat 27.01.2018, 22:30

I was lucky enough to be invited down by the now owner to have a look over this very special piece of Elan history .
It has been kept or brought back round by David to a very high standard with well documented history .

It looked amazing as i followed it back down the motorway off to its new home .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 27.01.2018, 22:49

Clemo,

Really long day and I'm absolutely shattered now :) but wow was it worth it. It was great to meet you and Dave N today and a very pleasant afternoon chatting to you both.

I had a great drive back.It rained all the way back and I didn't get wet at all :D The car feels really tight and was a pleasure to drive. I stopped for petrol on the a303 in Ash and can highly recommend the Fish & Chips - freshly made, lovely :-D

Cant thank you enough for your help today Clemo.

Justin
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Sat 27.01.2018, 22:57

I’m glad that this very special car has found a new home. It sounds like Lotusman33 really did a good job looking after it. Here’s to your ownership, Justin!

I guess the question is how much will you use it? It’s an important car, so should be looked after. However, Elans should be exercised and not left in the garage, so I guess it’s up to you to find that happy medium.

Enjoy your new sports car.

John
John_W
Philistine

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 27.01.2018, 23:19

John_W wrote:I’m glad that this very special car has found a new home. It sounds like Lotusman33 really did a good job looking after it. Here’s to your ownership, Justin!

I guess the question is how much will you use it? It’s an important car, so should be looked after. However, Elans should be exercised and not left in the garage, so I guess it’s up to you to find that happy medium.

Enjoy your new sports car.

John

Thanks very much John :)

I hope I'll get the balance right ;) I'll be using it as a weekend/summer car. As you say, a car like this needs to be driven. So I intend to potter around in it locally a few weekends a month (at least) and to visit the family 50 miles away (when I dont need more than two seats). I'll take it for longer runs a few times a year when we go on holiday in the UK. I'll also hopefully get to a few shows and meet some of you guys (wife not into that sort of thing :roll: ). It will be garaged and I'm obsessed with servicing and maintenance so it won't want for anything. I plan to keep it for a long time. I have a plan for very subtle improvements too, UV light underneath, lovely flames down the side and a 10k sound system :lol: :bonk:

Now to find a garage I can trust close to Reigate, Surrey. Lakeside look a good bet.

Regards, Justin
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Lotusman33 » Sun 28.01.2018, 00:52

Justin

Really pleased you had a safe trip home and glad the car is in safe hands, brought a lump to the throat seeing her drive away I must admit.
Great to meet you and finally Clemo who was highly entertaining and a true Elan fanatic, :cheers:

All the best and hope to see you and the car at shows soon

Silver Development Car IB10
Lotusman33
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Sun 28.01.2018, 12:08

Lotusman33 wrote:Justin
Clemo who was highly entertaining and a true Elan fanatic, :cheers:

= Nerd . ( just getting in there before the rest do .)

Cheers Justin i look forward to meeting you again too , probably in a dusty car park where i will be collecting numbers in my old British rail note book .
clemo

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 28.01.2018, 12:58

Well took her and the Mrs out for a drive. Seems to have got the wife’s approval. Got back and the Mrs decided she wanted to take it for a spin (on her own so I’m not telling her off).
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby clemo » Sun 28.01.2018, 13:12

JusNoGood wrote:Well took her and the Mrs out for a drive. Seems to have got the wife’s approval. Got back and the Mrs decided she wanted to take it for a spin (on her own so I’m not telling her off).

Good stuff .
The only downside with this is you will have to tell her to park 6" from the kerb to avoid damaging the S2 alloys.
This was not to successful with my wife . She parked so close and declared that is what i have told her 6" is .
clemo

Postby Rambo » Tue 30.01.2018, 10:38

JusNoGood wrote:Well took her and the Mrs out for a drive. Seems to have got the wife’s approval. Got back and the Mrs decided she wanted to take it for a spin (on her own so I’m not telling her off).

That's bad news :? SWMBO might decide she enjoys it and then you'll never get the keys back :(
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 30.01.2018, 22:22

Rambo wrote:

That's bad news :? SWMBO might decide she enjoys it and then you'll never get the keys back :(

Haha, nah it's good news. Got her stamp of approval and also got the agreement to a number of upgrades :clap:

She hated the brakes and stereo... so an A&C service, four pot upgrade and then later a stereo & Speaker upgrade is being planned :-D

(Stereo is a dodgy silver 90's thing not the original one).
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby clemo » Wed 31.01.2018, 07:03

JusNoGood wrote:[
a dodgy silver 90's thing not the original one.

So you met Dico then ?
clemo

Postby JusNoGood » Wed 31.01.2018, 10:37

clemo wrote:
JusNoGood wrote:[
a dodgy silver 90's thing not the original one.

So you met Dico then ?

:lol:
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Giniw » Sat 03.02.2018, 04:41

As for the brakes maybe they just need to be refurbished and a proper pads set? Our brakes have the reputation of being very poor but it's mostly because they were not properly maintained (seized, poor bleeding which is rather tedious at the rear, until you read it's better to unbolt them to tilt them to help the bubbles go out ^^). I am happy with stock brakes and my ebc yellow stuff at four corners. Some say that even after they are refurbished they need a constant attention to remain usable. I refurbished mines a couples of years ago and did nothing since so ...
Anyway, the stock brakes can probably be swapped for something better, and indeed a lot of people change them, but they are not that bad actually.
Giniw
God

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 03.02.2018, 10:07

Thanks very much for the advice regarding the brakes. I don't think my brakes are faulty. They are very firm, not spongy in the slightest. They stop the car nice and straight. Clemo took it out for a spin too and thought they were fine.

Its more the effort to get the brakes to bite and make it stop. I wouldn't mind it if I was driving a classic as I'd adjust my driving style, like my old previous 1959 non-servo assisted Triumph Herald or my old 70's MGB GT (etc). The Elan is so wonderful to drive but the brakes feel out of place. All personal opinion of course :D I will save the old callipers incase I want to return it to standard.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sat 03.02.2018, 14:00

JusNoGood wrote: I will save the old callipers incase I want to return it to standard.

A very good and wise policy, particularly with the history of IB10

I have also done this with my M100's as you never know, the next owner might want complete originality. And keeping those OEM bits and pieces could well be a good negotiating tool if/when you come to sell :wink:

PS I am slowly going down the route of Hi Spec fronts and PNM rears. This is only for requiring less maintenance. Oh, and slightly better braking performance. As others have mentioned, and I have always stated, there is nothing wrong with the stock/OEM calipers, providing they are regularly fettled and maintained. This is a very difficult thing to achieve with the vagaries of our Scottish weather :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 03.02.2018, 15:29

Giniw wrote:As for the brakes maybe they just need to be refurbished and a proper pads set? Our brakes have the reputation of being very poor but it's mostly because they were not properly maintained (seized, poor bleeding which is rather tedious at the rear, until you read it's better to unbolt them to tilt them to help the bubbles go out ^^). I am happy with stock brakes and my ebc yellow stuff at four corners. Some say that even after they are refurbished they need a constant attention to remain usable. I refurbished mines a couples of years ago and did nothing since so ...
Anyway, the stock brakes can probably be swapped for something better, and indeed a lot of people change them, but they are not that bad actually.

:wtf: Where did that come from? What's the point of that when the bleed nipple is already at the highest point of the caliper where the air will collect? That seems to me like a lot of work for no advantage.

I've never had a problem bleeding brakes but I do it 'wrong' according to some Lotus Manuals ... :lol: -

My elder sister's first car, a 1958 Ford 100E Anglia, came with a Ford Handbook and a Castrol Girling booklet that explained all about various engine, gearbox and diff oils, all made by Castrol of course, and a section on brake fluid and maintaining Girling brakes - drum brakes and slave cylinders in that era. For bleeding it said 'The efficacious method for bleeding brakes is to bleed the shortest run first (OSF), then next shortest (NSF) etc. Air in those circuits interferes with the efficacy of the master cylinder forcing fluid into the longer rear circuits and associated slave cylinders".

Made sense to me, after I'd looked up 'efficacious' in the dictionary :lol: , so that's how we did my sister's car and how I've always done it since. Still works on dual circuit systems though you could probably do OSF, NSR, NSF OSR without a problem... but my habit is still Girling's OSF, NSF, OSR, NSR.

I bought a Lotus Seven Owners Manual when I was running a Lotus 6 in the late 60's and saw Lotus said start bleeding at the rear. I reckon that's 'bleeding stupid' and they repeated that in the Elan+2 Manual. In the Eclat Manual it was 'bleed as usual'...
With M100 it's definitely best to bleed OSF and NSF and then deal with the rears that have the BPV's etc as an added complexity. Early cars had 3/15 Brake Proportioning Valves and a Pressure Limiting Valves mounted above the BPV's that also had bleed nipples. PLV was then replaced with 70/1 Proportioning Valves in the same location that also had a bleed nipple. (Wonder what's on IB10... :poke: ). Then things were simplified by just a 2/15 BPV in each circuit so no extra bleed nipples, just the rear calipers' nipples. If the extra bleed nipple is there use that to bleed the long pipe to the rear before doing the rear calipers. Open a rear caliper bleed nipple wide with suitable pipe* and fluid catching pot in place. ( * I use windscreen washer tube with a 20p aquarium one valve valve shoved in the end and held with a cable tie so I don't need any assistance.) Then a slow deep thrust all the way down (Yeah baby! :bananasex:) on the brake pedal is needed so fluid flows through the BPV without operating the shut off valve and into and out of the caliper. Stamping on the pedal is NOT the method. Up quickly with the brake pedal and repeat the slow thrust, up again. It's then time to check the mastercylinder fluid level and see if there's any air in the transparent tube. If there is air, seldom is, then 2 more slow strokes will usually clear it. Close the bleed nipple and do the other side in the same way. Simples. Don't know what all the fuss and pressurised Eezibleed kits is all about .. :smt017 and as for unbolting calipers ... :smt102
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Sat 03.02.2018, 22:07

Phil,

Gini's method has some merit, but not always necessary.

If you are simply bleading fluid through the system, then I agree that it isn't always worth doing.....

.... but if you have removed the calliper (and drained it of all fluid) - maybe a replacement, or rebuild - then there is a propensity for some air to get trapped behind the piston mechanism.

This 'bubble' won't always come out with 'normal' bleading techniques (whether you do it manually, pressurised with an ezibleed, or a vacuum pump) as it rises to the top of the housing and is higher than the fluid path to the nipple - or at least, doesn't get dislodged with 'normal' fluid dynamics.

As such, removal of the 2 caliper bolts, tilting it sideways (so the chamber in the housing is now lower than the fluid path), and tapping with a small hammer,spanner,stick etc whilst bleeding gets the remaining air out. This simple operation can make a huge difference to the rear ballance and efficiency.

It usually only needs doing once, unless the calliper is removed/drained again, as air is unlikely to accumulate in that area during normal leaking.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 04.02.2018, 01:15

Goodness me Dave, some people like hard work. I'll fill a rebuilt caliper with new fluid on the bench and get all the air out before plugging the hose hole with one of those plastic plugs that come in new calipers. Then I fit the caliper, remove the plug and connect the hose. Needs hardly any bleeding.
:offtopic: I also always prefill an oil filter on the bench before fitting it. Filled a new filter to the top this afternoon and just been out to put quite a bit more oil in it - amazing how it soaks it up. Just before fitting I'll tip it horizontal over a jug to save what would run out when fitting making a mess but what comes out is nowhere near what I've put in it. Once fitted, start up and oil pressure is there immediately, none of that agonizing wait for the filter to fill up before oil pressure starts to rise.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Next

Return to SOLD Cars