Lotus Elan Development car IB10 (SOLD)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Lotus Elan Development car IB10 (SOLD)

Postby dapinky » Sun 04.02.2018, 11:58

I also always pre-fill any parts with fluid before fitting - but I was simply trying to say that IF you have a stubborn air bubble, then normal bleading may not get rid of it, so therefore, there is some merit in the method of removing the calipers......

......and if I am fitting a new unit anyway, it isn't any more hassle to bleed it before I bolt it on, rather than afterwards - it all depends on which bits of the system have been replaced as to where the air gets in, and how much fluid is needed to remove it.

As brake fluid is about 1/3 price of engine oil, i can't understand why some people are so loathe to change it regularly, and avoid other issues - but that is another argument.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 04.02.2018, 16:15

dapinky wrote:... As brake fluid is about 1/3 price of engine oil, i can't understand why some people are so loathe to change it regularly, and avoid other issues - but that is another argument.

Couldn't agree more ! Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from air) so old fluid will boil at a much lower temperature because of water content. M100 Maintenance Schedule has 'Renew brake fluid' every 12 months or B Service item.
Wonder how many M100's get that done... just looked at photos of fitting HiSpec on mine and see was Oct 2016 so I'm a few months overdue for fresh brake fluid too ... :bonk: Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?

Alternator I changed in April 2016 and renewed a lot of the PAS fluid when I removed the reservoir for that job. PAS fluid renewal should be every 2 years or C Service so need to move that up the things to do list...
Complete fluid change seems very involved and has a warning about damage to pump if air gets in so change majority at more frequent intervals is my preferred option.
Not unusual as we never do complete engine oil change anyway as there's always some left in the oil cooler and pipes.
On that subject ... Just put even more oil in my filter before fitting - it's like a flipping Tardis. I'm sure I've put more in than the external volume of the canister .. :smt017
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby clemo » Sun 04.02.2018, 21:29

off topic but in laymans terms are saying the rear , rear offside or nearside should be raised ... should we perhaps jack the car or put the car on an incline or decline and a camber to assist the brake bleeding ?

BTW about to change my B master cylinder . 20 years old ... do it now whilst I'm on strip down . having read the upgrade your brakes for cheap thread is enough to scare anyone .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Previous

Return to SOLD Cars