Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N (SOLD)

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N (SOLD)

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Thu 06.06.2019, 17:41

I just heard from my insurer that my lovely turquoise Lotus Elan S2 (nr 208) will not be repaired, as uneconomical, so they are putting category N on it. My local garage in London quoted a price of £6000 to repair it. I think after many years it is time for me to say goodbye to the car in one way or another. However, I feel bad if it simply will be used for spare cars as was a joy to drive, and is quite clearly repairable. My insurer lets me buy it for £2532 so if anyone is interested in taking this one they can have it for a price above it. I live in London NW3 and happy to show it to anyone, but this is not going to be advertised on any website. Condition of car was probably below average (window rubber not good and small tear in roof), although it has been well maintained, I have a service record book (mostly Morland Jones) and LOW MILEAGE at about 52,000 miles. (17000 miles less than the other one advertised) This car was actually on the cover of the Lotus Magazine quite a few years ago. M307COT. If interested call me on 07799 415788 Taco
Taco_Sieburgh

Re: Lotus Elan S2 Total Loss Category N for Sale

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 06.06.2019, 17:43

What exactly is wrong with the car that will cost that much? Why is your insurance involved? If someone hit you, then their insurance would be repairing it.

A description and / or pictures will make it easier to get someone interested in it.

If it was in the US, I would be interested, but transporting it across the ocean makes it unrealistic.
Shift Cable Prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Thu 06.06.2019, 17:56

You are right. Should have uploaded a pic....so here goes.

It was parked on the street and a white car driving at 2:36AM drove into it mine and a Volvo in front. We have CCTV footage but cannot see the licence plate when they sped off.

The garage quote of £6000 was made to the insurer. I would think that this can be done cheaper.... but they are good guys and took good care of the car after Morland Jones closed down...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 06.06.2019, 18:43

This is just my opinion, but if it only needs the bumper and paint, the quote to repair is significantly higher than reality.

If there is chassis damage (I would doubt it since bonnet, wing and the rest of the bumper are still aligned to the body quite nicely) then maybe they know more than I can see.

If you really want the car to be fixed, then you should take it to a decent body shop to get an accurate quotation.

The bumper (C100B0473J) has a current retail price of £1,155.08 although a decent used one would probably be available for much less.

It is your choice, but the car appears to be affordably repairable.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Thu 06.06.2019, 18:59

I fully agree with your assessment!

I live in Central London with basically two left hands, so not able to repair it myself, so a real enthusiastic will be able to do so at substantially less than the £6K my car garage quoted the insurers....and after repair and upgrade even make a handsome profit if resold in A1 condition. As I am also moving house in the next month, I decided to let go of the car which gave me much joy. Was not planning to do so, but with the idiots who drove into it, I guess this was the right time.

I was actually pissed off that the insurer decided to do a "not economical to repair" assessment and their assessor had no idea about values of S2, especially low mileage one. They are advertised at £12K or £13K (and a cheaper one at £10k), so even if you take a discount to ask, discount to A1 condition, or discount dealer v private price, the value ascribed made no sense....but made sense for them to stick on the "not economical to repair". Assessor did not want to budge, although I discovered had not even looked at PistonHead as I guess it would have meant a different assessment on the economics to repair...Anyway...can't win...so right time to let someone be the custodian of the car...I checked and it was on the cover of CLub Lotus News July 2007

I posted on here as there are real enthusiasts and knowledgeable Lotus Elan owners, so indeed already had a call. As you can seen I joined in 2007. He is coming on Sunday and unless someone is quicker of the mark for much more money, it will have a good new home by then. This is the part as a 3-time owner of a Lotus Elan (and this one for a decade) I really care about!!

Thanks for your comments
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 06.06.2019, 19:18

I am sorry it happened!

Best of Luck with your sale.

Also Best of Luck to the new owner!
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby alan e » Thu 06.06.2019, 20:13

If possible can you please post a photo of the N/S front wing taken from the side.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Thu 06.06.2019, 21:17

Hi Alan, If you text me your email I can send you some more pics. Also have some short videos I took, if they fit on email.
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 06.06.2019, 21:27

Please send them to my email as well. I would love to see what the other picture missed...

I enlarged the PDF picture and I can now see a crack in the front of the front clamshell, but that isn't a major repair either.

I just rebuilt the left rear corner of my car (rear of ns door to middle of the boot area) which had a private meeting with a guard rail around 20 years ago (before I bought it).
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby clemo » Fri 07.06.2019, 10:31

Poor thing . With a push like that i would also be looking at the intercooler housing bracket and surrounding parts .
I hope someone decent gets it to keep and love rather than break .

Do you have the car with you or is it still with the insurer ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby theelanman » Fri 07.06.2019, 11:36

mmmmmmmm

:smt017

:smt102
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby dapinky » Fri 07.06.2019, 12:03

Hi Taco,

As Clemo asks - do you actually have the car or has it gone to Canvey island (or a different insurance write-off graveyard)?

Is it legally yours to sell, or is it the property of the Insurance company? If it is the property of the Insurance, are they happy to allow this sale, or are you going to have them bring it back to you and you make the payment for it? (do you have this in writing).

When I was in a similar situation I was offered the salvage for my car for a good price, but was expected to go and collect the car from Canvey Island (Essex) - when I declined, they simply sold it at auction but would not allow anyone to buy it privately before that.

I only ask because I don't want anyone to turn up with the money, and then find that the car is somewhere else and they can't even get their hands on it.

Is the car in a drivable condition? (I don't mean with the bumper hanging off, but will it drive onto a trailer - or if the bumper is removed will it go a short distance).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Fri 07.06.2019, 12:38

The car is around the corner from my house in my possession. I live in NW3 London and it was serviced the last few years by Porshhe Worx, who live 50 meters from me, so I refused for the insurers to bring it somewhere distant to a garage I could not reach and probably would not trust. I actually just made a few videos, which I can send to anyone interested via WhatsApp. The insurers (admiral) are giving me three weeks to decide whether I wish them to salvage it, in which case I will receive an additional £2532. I will call them to get an email confirming the category N total loss (which is the old category D).

I have not tried to start the engine, so do not know. Did not want to do so and create problems without a proper mechanic looking at it and telling me it is safe. It was pushed for about 50 meters by my friends at Porshe Worx when my parking bay became suspended.

So far, I have been in touch with four members, who all seem to be keen in acquiring the vehicle and I have send them videos just now of car today, inside and outside and the paperwork. Mileage is 52627 I just saw.

By end today or latest tomorrow I will decide who to sell based on bids received. Difficult to figure out what the fairest way is to sell in these situations, other than sticking on Ebay, but that would enhance the chance that it goes so a bad steward of the car, who just wants to break it up. So I am not telling anyone what others are bidding, and people get one shot at it.

Give me a call 07799 415788 if you like more information, or WhatsApp me and easier to send the videos of today.
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:01

...just got the letter from insurer confirming it is letter N category for total loss (old D)...meaning not economical to restore.... which is pretty much nonsense based on all conversations here, and even bids. But they insisted on a relatively low pay out. £8440. Admiral super friendly and a pleasure to deal with...but they base it on a 3rd party assessor, who does not want to budge.

I think your point about cooling or surrounding damage may well be true. I took a video of the engine bay and the inside for those interested, so it may become more visible if there is anything. I am not an expert...despite this being my third one.

On the one hand I am talking about all fault and try to be as a transparent as possible and invite people to view the car, or instruct me how to video it. That way people can make up their own mind.

On the other hand, this is clearly a bargain for anyone who wants to do repairs. Starting bid is £3000, but already received one substantial above that. So everyone can do their own assessment what is worth to them, without me trying to oversell or anything or creating hype. I find it a difficult process, but expect anyone who buys it, to show me a video next year how well they repaired it. :)

I will probably make a decision whom to sell it to by end of today, or tomorrow afternoon. ...that way some members get the opportunity to visit on Saturday morning.

Hope I am fair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:11

clemo wrote:Poor thing . With a push like that i would also be looking at the intercooler housing bracket and surrounding parts .
I hope someone decent gets it to keep and love rather than break .

Do you have the car with you or is it still with the insurer ?

FWIW, I believe I have a good used UK Intercooler Housing and bracket from a car I broke up a few years ago while I was in the UK.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:23

I have a brand new unpainted front bumper I would be willing to sell to who ever takes this on.
nicowalker1
God

Postby clemo » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:34

nicowalker1 wrote:I have a brand new unpainted front bumper I would be willing to sell to who ever takes this on.

Thats going to be really helpful to whoever ( alan e ? who would restore it rather than break it ) I think he's eyeing it up as his retirement project .

The sad thing that could happen here is the breaker prices will out do the save it price.

If it is clam , bumper , intercooler , intercooler housing bracket , arch liner , wheel refurb , paint , removal costs + £3000 its getting there . Hopefully an enthusiast's labour of love rather than a quick strip for rear lights and wheels .

Though i must say , fair play to Taco who could have just walked away from it . Giving an enthusiast a chance is a very decent thing to do .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:41

Dear Clemo,

What do YOU reckon the cost of repair would be? My garage (Porshe Worx) quoted £6000 to the insurer, but I guess substantially less??

By the way, the purchase price is likely to be substantially above the £3000 given the serious interest received in such a short time frame from buyers who want to repair it. I received one bid, and was promised two more by end of day.

I will let everyone know when it is sold, but it will be up to buyer to disclose the price to his/her fellow members of course.
Taco_Sieburgh

Postby theelanman » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:55

Taco
Id think most of the price you were quoted would be labour........and if it is a Porsche garage than you'll be paying the very expensive rates........if you allowed say 3 guys 1 week at it....say 120 hours I reckon thatd do it.....with hours to spare....lol..........(or 1 guy 3 weeks).........
if youre charging £50 per hour then thats £6000 before you start........although looking at it I reckon there could only be about a weeks work for 1 bloke........most of that would be in paint prep if nothing structural is bent......
but you know what its like when its an insurance job..........the garage have 2 prices
if the labour is free then your only outlay is the parts..........if you can buy and fit the stuff for £3000 a paint job could cost about £1000....then you could have a £10k car........
so £4k + purchase price.......as long as its under the £10k then you're probably on a winner......

or something like that.......

man maths made sense in my head....... :-D
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Taco_Sieburgh » Fri 07.06.2019, 13:57

Hi Elanman,

What do you reckon a 52,627 mileage Lotus Elan S2 would be in mint condition?
I can see higher mileage S2 at a higher asking price £12 to £13K.

How much do you reckon it would cost to bring an average quality or if you are mean below average, as my insurance assessor claimed it was into mint condition?
My assessment it is mostly lots of small things and labour to go from average to mint, or is this a wrong assessment?

Am I missing something?

I think your views would be well appreciated from members who wish to make a bid.

Many thanks

taco
Taco_Sieburgh

Next

Return to UK Elans - For Sale