ALL ELANS IN AUTOTRADER

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

ALL ELANS IN AUTOTRADER

Postby clemo » Thu 23.03.2006, 20:50

NOT seen this as a heading so lets use it for the good and the bad..

Unfortunatly i share to start with a bad elan...

M100 S2 no 159 medina green... m100 sp.
this vehicle has sustained serious accident damage to the front end all the way back to the bulkhead , including a dashbord change..
the front has been replaced without decent alining 1 inch gap between bumper and top clam.the engine bay is a sorry mess of badly sanded filler and grafted from a red car , which had not been sanded down properly so the paint was flaking off . the slam panel sticker is from a usa model ..the light pods were out of line and rubbing the paint off. there were 3 different colours of green paint on the front end(and red underneath). no lip spoiler, paint in the grills. silicon bathroom type used as adeshive on the wings x2 , a bulge in the driverside wing. both door gaps unbeliveably bad and the driver door drops by 1.5" upon opening..
the interior has had a dashboard change with mk1 fan assembly switches and no factory fitted alarm.. the hood is out of shape and the rubbers are average.
the boot has had some work to it , and a new rear light has been fitted , the bumper is miss fitted. the service book has pages 72 - 82 missing ( thats the pdi page , the vin page ) and the book does not tally with the paperwork.. it has 2 new wheels on the rear , which i guess is from where the front end has taken such a wack , they fitted them to the rear (ohh how that fooled me ) i didn't even drive it .. i had wasted enough time already..
this car is bad ... from the look of it , it has had a front and rear shunt and may well have been writtern off .... unfortunatly it has been put back on the road ... this is the sort off car the new VIC will protect us from...

i would not normaly unleash such a barage of information as i know what trouble it usually gets us into ..
however i did ask the seller "before i leave to drive 400 miles (round trip) for this car , is there anything you need to tell me as i don't want to get there and be really pissed off that its not the car you discribed"

and thus it was not so hence this...

newbies ...if you are going to buy an elan , try a well trusted dealer , or willb or mikey or infact anyone on here ... that is not going to totaly mislead you ..

soap box to one side..

clemo
Last edited by clemo on Fri 20.06.2008, 23:25, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby muley » Thu 23.03.2006, 20:53

:goodposting:
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

elans in autotrader

Postby yellowman » Thu 23.03.2006, 21:06

Come and have a look at mine it,s the norfolk mustard one in notts u won,t be disappointed i promise or ur money back ( petrol that is ) :-D
yellowman

Postby clemo » Thu 23.03.2006, 21:23

yellowman, log in .
or send me an IM...
clemo

Postby yellowman » Thu 23.03.2006, 21:25

Sorry dont know how 2 have tried 2 join but dont know how :evil:
yellowman

Postby clemo » Thu 23.03.2006, 21:26

no deleted due to daft calls (not yellowman)
Last edited by clemo on Sat 25.03.2006, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
clemo

Postby yellowman » Thu 23.03.2006, 21:30

I,ll give u a call 2morrow girlfriend want,s me !!! :shock:
yellowman

Postby Guest » Thu 23.03.2006, 23:33

well cant you call him in a couple of minutes, afterwards?

Postby Gazza » Fri 24.03.2006, 00:15

Clemo

The only Medina Green S2 I can find in Autotrader is #159. M10 OSP

Was it definitely #198?
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby clemo » Fri 24.03.2006, 10:00

gazza , yep your right .. thats the one .
original rant ammended..
clemo

Postby Gazza » Fri 24.03.2006, 10:11

Clemo

I saw this car at Stoneleigh 05 and it didn't look to clever then, also had a instument cluster change if I remember.

Which is why I thought they were the same car.

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby Snapper » Fri 24.03.2006, 10:42

Just had this email back from the lady because I was going to have a look at the car when asking about accidents.

"The previous owner said no when i asked him, and I haven't stuffed it in the last three years".
Snapper

Postby muley » Fri 24.03.2006, 16:54

So that's why 159 is so cheap...

I see SGTs have a yellow S2 #637 at a whisker under 11 grand - does anyone on here know anything about it?

Jim B
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Snapper » Fri 24.03.2006, 19:00

Went to see M100 S2 no 159 medina green... m100 SP that Clemof1 is talking about at the start of this thread.

I must say looking at the pictures on Autotraders web site it looked a bargain at £ 7000. Especially when the owner Stephanie said the car had a lot of history and talked up the car. I thought right I must view it because it sounds well looked after.

So I went to have a look at the car, now when I say I went to look at the car I should have said cars. :shock: There has to be more than one in this car. Because this is the worst car I have ever seen apart from ones in a scrap yards or that have been in a major pile up on the M6.

The front end is off a red car and hasn't been put on very well and looks like it has had a few knocks since. The geo/tracking is out and doesn't feel right at all. The front clams have more stress lines and cracks than Margaret Thatcher’s face.

The car shows 40,000 miles. Well I am sure that the dash has only done 40,000 mile, but the engine must have done far more than that judging by the state of it and the amount of money spent keeping it going.

I have been told that Elans "Fly". This must be because they have magic carpets. Because most of them were loose or hanging off. This must be so Sinbad can grab one out quickly, jump on it and fly off.

The sadist thing is the poor lady is still spending money on this car, not that you would notice.

Having looked through the history I asked if she had the receipt for the replacement front half of the cars! Because in my view she should take it back and ask for a refund.

I also pointed out a lot of other things that was wrong as well and the costs involved in putting things right. I think she was taken back a bit.

She claims that Club Lotus have been and done a valuation on the car and said it’s worth £ 11,000.00. Well I will have two pints of what ever that person was drinking at the time. :oops:

I can't believe that anyone from Club Lotus has ever seen this car. Because if they have I will ask the guy to come and value some of my Rottweilers artistic impressions that can be found in my back garden. Tate Modern here we come :wink:

I reckon that you would have to spend £ 10,000 to put this car right. As it stands I would say that it has a parts value only of £ 500 -£ 800 IMHO.
Snapper

Postby Gary » Fri 24.03.2006, 19:57

I saw the car at Stoneleigh too and it looked bad. Must be something about the owners name :wink:

As for club lotus valuation, they only need the documents and some photos, so I guess they wouldn't know it was two cars....
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby Trackside » Fri 24.03.2006, 21:50

Running an HPi check on the car reveals that M10OSP is recorded on the VCAR register (vehicle condition alert) under a previous reg no, M10TUS.

HPi that plate and you'll find out that M10TUS was subject to an insurance total loss payout (written off) in October 2004, just 1 month after the car was registered! Since then it's had 7 keepers under the plate M669RVY.

Buyer beware, as they say. :shock:

Incidentally, M10TUS is currently on a Mazda RX-8... :(
Trackside

Postby clemo » Fri 24.03.2006, 22:57

snapper...
i am (unfortunately) glad that what you saw is infact the same as what i reported.. we can sometimes be accused of exagerating the truth .. but in this case both our evaluations read the same...

this car has very little going for it and as you are looking for a 1st time elan for "er indoors" don't be put off by this 1st encounter of an s2... se, na's and s2's are usually in much much better condition than this and having spoken to you , you are no idiot .. you are well up to speed with lotus (nice exige by the way , good mag cover car) so you know those rather large gaps cannot be blamed on a"lotus parts bin friday car"... far from it .. however as you have mentioned "she should take it back and get a refund" 3 years too late means that some poor 1st timer might get sucked in by the "lady owner speech"...

the other thing that is sad to mention on this car is the " club lotus valuation certificate" this i think is a very bad advert for club lotus .. it sends out a very poor message to anyone thinking of buying this car and tarnishes the reputation of our marque ... £11,000.. you were more near the mark with a rather generous £500 - 800 ... it is only worth scrap value ...
Taking into consideration the front and back has serious cracks in the bodywork and as you mentioned on the phone that the engine the is knackered , leaking oil from the block this is probably one of the worst examples i have ever seen.. (and i have seen many)

As i said before and reiterate ..
there is a wealth of knowledge on here, as a non profit making, beer drinking organisation known as LEC it pays to share our knowledge..

paul matty, willb.,mikey, muley , sy and many newbies , tinkerers and gods ..... have elans passing through their hands quite often... these people know elans.. they our part of the club and one of us .. they are not going to stitch us up...
unlike those that go on autotrader , pluck a price out the air and think that is correct ...
clemo

Postby Snapper » Sat 25.03.2006, 09:39

I have emailed the owner Stephanie with the results of the HPI, so if she sells the car and the buyer turns up as a newbie on Elan Central, MLOC, and Seloc as a proud owner and finds out the truth. They can go back to the owner for the money on the grounds of misrepresentation.

The owner can't say I was unaware and sold the car in good faith because she now knows in on uncertain terms the full history of the car.

I will keep the email stored just in case need arises.

Copy of the email below for the record:

Subject: Re: The Lotus
Date: 23 March 2006 22:54:54 GMT
To: stephpeters

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for sending that picture. One thing I forgot to ask was has the car ever been in an accident?

Regards
Jamie

On 21 Mar 2006, at 15:28, stephanie peters wrote:

he previous owner said no when i asked him, and I haven't stuffed it in the last three years.

Thanks

Stephanie

To: stephanie peters
Subject: Re: The Lotus
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:54:54 +0000

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for sending that picture. One thing I forgot to ask was has the car ever been in an accident?

Regards
Jamie

On 21 Mar 2006, at 15:28, stephanie peters wrote:

Hi Jamie

I have had the car for three years and have a massive amount of receipts and history. It doesn?t have a full service history. I am owner no. 7.

The reason for sale is my partner died and I can?t afford to keep it anymore. It is in lovely condition apart from the passenger door lock is a bit temperamental. It has a superb stereo, fitted mats and Goodyear f1 tyres. I have loved this car and taken care of it for the last three years. I even hired a garage to keep it in. I think I have priced is as a bargain because I need it to sell. Any other questions, you are welcome to ask. I have never raced it on a track. It has a K & N air filter and greenstuff pads and a stainless steel back box.

I am in a village outside of Atherstone, north Warwickshire, if you want to view the car. All the bits and bobs I have had done on have been done by Christopher neils and my local garage.

Thanks

Stephanie
Snapper

Postby Snapper » Sat 25.03.2006, 10:09

Snapper

Postby Stef » Sat 25.03.2006, 18:51

Gary wrote:I saw the car at Stoneleigh too and it looked bad. Must be something about the owners name :wink:

As for club lotus valuation, they only need the documents and some photos, so I guess they wouldn't know it was two cars....

Watch what you say garage queen :poke:
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Next

Return to UK Elans - For Sale