Guinness BoR @ Hethel - probably now Donington

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby Stef » Mon 21.11.2005, 13:56

I've tried to explain that LEC are not a company or an official club as such.

Therefore I don't know how we can get such insurance. Or do you purchase a general one and individuals have to sign a disclaimer agreeing to it? I always thought Hethel would have something we'd need to agree to.

I'm in the deep end here :?

Might need to start seeking other venues. I still haven't heard from Top Gear either.

Mumbles away feeling a bit peed off...
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby Nige » Mon 21.11.2005, 15:03

Fairly standard insurance requirements in my experience of organising events. Scenario they are protecting themselves against is something like this: One of us inadvertantly runs over or otherwise injures member of the public whilst at Hethel (doesn't need to be serious) injured individual decides to sue but reckoning that none of us are good for the many thousands or tens of thousands he/she thinks they are due sues Lotus instead. Lotus are insured but their insurers seek to recover the pay out from someone else, that s why we need insurance. The premium is usually related to the risk (low given the type of event we are talking about) and the probability (also low but more difficult to assess). One option might be to ask Lotus what insurance they already have and we pay the increased premium to push the cover to where Lotus want it to be. This should only be for Public Liability as I think it's worth arguing that employers insurance does not apply in this case. On an existing public liability policy I have been able to up the cover from £10m to £20m or £30m for a one off event (air day, or major Summer Ball) for an additional premium of £50-£60. I don't think Lotus are being deliberately difficult, just going through a fairly standard procedure. Anyone here in insurance should be able to help with more advice.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Stef » Tue 06.12.2005, 09:50

Sorry I haven't had much time to concentrate on this but my brain has been ticking over (just)

Hethel are not being helpful so I am more than likely going to not hold the event at their factory. This is sad as I am sure many people would have loved meeting at their Elan's birthplace and having their support.

The most probable idea at the moment would be to combine the GBoR with Donington but that won't realistically be untill 2007. Donny draws good numbers and is better located. We may even be able to have track access but I haven't spoken to them yet.

I hope this change isn't going to put people off. It may be further away but provides more time to get numbers up and the event right!

Please continue to bounce ideas around!

Cheers
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef

Postby Sy V » Tue 06.12.2005, 09:52

Stef

I think the enforced change is a good thing alround.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Nige » Tue 06.12.2005, 23:19

Stef,

With you all the way. We are sufficiently early to ensure that the change doesn't really matter and using Donington 2006 (and the other events planned by Club Lotus) as part of the publicity makes sense. I fear track access at Donington may prove to be as difficult as at Hethel given the self protection instincts of any organisation, but if you don't ask......... :)
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby bulldogsimon » Mon 02.10.2006, 20:56

how about 100 M100's doing 100mph all at the same time/same place?
bulldogsimon

Postby Stef » Mon 02.10.2006, 21:22

Hi there.

I have kinda sadly canned the idea now.

GBoR were not helpful or willing to accept the ideas put forward.

We still face the fact that many good ideas would involve costly track and marshall hire which will put most people off and be a nightmare to organise.

I've also got lots less time to work on this and can't get on LEC as I used to be able.

My idea of still doing the challenges and getting press coverage is still bubbling in my thoughts but again boils down to lack of time to organise.

If there was a kind soul out there willing to pick up the pieces I'm sure you will be greatly supported!
Stef

Postby chris.t » Mon 02.10.2006, 21:24

Yeah good idea but we could only do it on a track or some other legal place. Perhaps Donington could oblige if they have a long straight??
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Previous

Return to Guinness BoR