Preferred idea for the Record attempt

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Preferred idea for the Record attempt

Headlight Mexican Wave
61%
Short distance relay
39%

Total votes : 36

Postby Stef » Wed 23.11.2005, 13:44

I don't think they will do it. According to their rules they won't break down marques into models so therefore it would have to be Lotus not Elans. That's how the parade rules were set.

Here are the stipulations for a 'First' record of it's kind

A 'first' is not necessarily a record. Records are, by definition, feats that are breakable, measurable and comparable. Because firsts do not meet these criteria, we don’t generally recognize them as records. At our discretion we do make occasional exceptions to this rule, but only for feats which are, in our opinion, of international and lasting historical significance. Examples of such feats include the first man on the Moon, and the first successful ascent of Mt Everest.

Such firsts are also 'absolute', meaning that we will not generally consider firsts that are qualified in any way. Thus, for example, while we recognize the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic in a fixed-wing aircraft, we do not recognize the first such flight in various classes of fixed-wing aircraft.

Examples of firsts that we will not recognize:
First British woman to walk to the North Pole
First trans-Pacific flight in an aircraft weighing less than 500 kg
First person to travel around Times Square on a unicycle

Examples of firsts that we recognize:
First woman to walk to the North Pole
First trans-Pacific flight
First colour television broadcast

However if we are copying an idea but using different cars is it a first?

Maybe I have been looking at this the wrong way and a simple 'gathering' would be possible.

I need a frikkin person to speak to to clarify this!!! GBoR are not easy to contact as their general enquiries section has been closed due to the high number they get :? So I have tried the business enquiry route.
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby Stef » Wed 23.11.2005, 13:49

These are all the largest gathering records:

YOU SEARCHED FOR: largest gathering
WE FOUND : 4 records.
LARGEST GATHERING OF CLOWNS
The largest gathering of clowns was in 1991, at Bognor Regis, West Sussex, UK, where 850 clowns, including 430 from North America, gathered at their... more

LARGEST GATHERING OF TWINS
"We beat the last record set in the United States by a thousand pairs," the Taipei city mayor told the huge crowd of twins. "If, in the future, some... more

LARGEST GATHERING OF SIKHS
More than 8 million Sikhs gathered at the Anandpur Sahib gurdwara (Sikh temple), Punjab, India, from April 13-17, 1999, to celebrate the 300th... more

LARGEST GATHERING OF VW CAMPER VANS
Westfalia International Camping-Car Club, based in Quebec, Canada, arranged the largest ever gathering of Volkswagen Westfalia camper vans on June... more

You know, I think this may well be our simplest and best route. And even have the possibility of combining it with other record attempts at the same time! :D

Maybe I need to speak to Donington. (eagerly thinks of track use also... :-D )

I'll also contact Cancer Research UK to see if they have any assistance available if we have them as our chosen charity.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef

Postby theelanman » Wed 23.11.2005, 15:10

who said it couldnt be model specific???....
coz I'm just wondering about the VW camper vans record in that case......surely that should, if its not allowed to be model specific, just be vw's and should have included golfs, beetles, etc etc etc
I think a gathering would be the most simple......KIS principle...Keep It Simple......the next thing is where?.....
as it would be a static thing Hethel could be a venue or could be a date at donny.....
whatevers decided I'm up for it
cheers
Gareth :lol:
theelanman

Postby Stef » Wed 23.11.2005, 22:32

Indeed. I think the model specific restriction must have related to something else. They can't have one rule for the VW's and a different one for others.

If we can do the gathering thing then Donington would be excellent. However I don't think we will have time to get the record agreed and ready in time for 2006 Donington.

Do you think people will be able to wait a year on from March 2006?
Stef

Postby Doug » Wed 23.11.2005, 23:01

how about "Lotus convertibles" :wink:

that is not model specific, but since there are few other true convertible Lotuses it almost is -- just don't tell them that . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Stef » Tue 06.12.2005, 09:54

As posted in the other GBoR thread it is likely that Hethel will not be our chosen venue and the event will more likely be aimed at Donington 2007.

I have also been thinking further on the record attempt and figured the 'gathering' idea must be acceptable and an easy one to organise. However, why limit to one record? We could do the wave and other feasable suggestions also, as long as GBoR will accept them as a record.

I will still try to get record proposals sent before Christmas but my time is restrained.

Sorry if these changes are a bit disapointing but hopefully we will get better support and more time to get the event right!

Thanks!
Stef

Postby Gary » Tue 06.12.2005, 20:23

It would be nice to have some sort of event next summer though (rather than Donny and Stoneleigh which are both in the Winter)
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby Paul.P » Tue 06.12.2005, 21:32

Must admit, find the idea of the mexican wave quite cheesy myself, but havn't any better ideas , although did like Sy's idea of Lands End to John O Groats, but don't think it would be practical.
Actually agree with Gary, & do fancy a gathering in the summer months !
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Nige » Tue 06.12.2005, 22:58

Club Lotus intend to celebrate their 50th Anniversary next year with a summer gathering somewhere in the Midlands. Details yet to be announced.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Sy V » Wed 07.12.2005, 09:51

I know that they're exploring the Malvern County Showground as one possible venue.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Nige » Wed 07.12.2005, 11:29

If I use the NA for a Mexican Wave it'll be a Mexican wink!
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Gary » Tue 10.01.2006, 08:55

How about 'the fastest mass roof removal' ? 100 cars all take their roofs down in 5 seconds ?
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby chris.t » Tue 10.01.2006, 10:44

yeh a mexican wave of roofs going up and down :?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Stef » Tue 10.01.2006, 13:25

Don't knock any ideas!

If we have several achievable ideas which we can submit, have accepted and break/create on the day all the more glory to us! Could even go for highest number of records involving a single make of car then! :-D

However I wouldn't want too much organisation to do for each record or people will lose interest. It's meant to be easy, fun and pride in taking part.

I hope to finalise some ideas and have them submitted in a month or 2. Will of course run everything by on here first!
Stef

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 20.03.2006, 00:21

Stef,

Reading the GBoR posts, I got this brilliant (bizarre/stupid/crackpot/deranged) idea for a contra-rotating mexican (LECsican?) wave. :smt115

Basically, combine the headlamps and roofs ideas into one - headlights clockwise and roofs anticlockwise. I can see it, but I don't know if it could be done! The success (or otherwise) would obviously be inversely related to the number of beers sunk the previous day, so it would pay to keep the heavy drinkers away from the crossover points.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.03.2006, 14:59

geoffsmith wrote: it would pay to keep the heavy drinkers away from the crossover points

Well, judging by the events of Friday night at the Melbourne Inn curry house, that's about half the LEC members !!

Mark
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 26.03.2006, 22:24

Stef,

You either haven't seen my post above :shock: or you've treated it with utter contempt. :smt098

Oh well, I thought it was a good idea as it might keep the potential non-Elan interlopers at bay. But I'm a man - what do I know? I know my place! :chair:

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Stef » Mon 27.03.2006, 17:47

Twas an oversight. :oops: I have however already sent off submissions to GBoR.

Can I have a general opinion as to what people think of adding this to the attempts?
Stef

Postby theelanman » Mon 27.03.2006, 18:54

silly hats and a wig????....
lol.....
needs to be something credible I'd say....something involving driving???....there are only so many things you can do in a stationary elan that are allowed into the record books!!!!! :lol:
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Stef » Mon 27.03.2006, 20:37

Driving involves risk which involves liability which usually involves high insurance costs. :(

However, I do think Mexican hats will have to be a must for the Mexican wave! :-D :smt028
Stef

PreviousNext

Return to Guinness BoR