silver Ebay auction NO RESERVE

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

silver Ebay auction NO RESERVE

Postby tedtaylor » Mon 11.12.2017, 02:51

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Lotus-Ela ... 1438.l2649
Silver "driver" ebay auction with NO RESERVE.
no relation/no affiliation = FYI only
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Re: silver Ebay auction NO RESERVE

Postby lotusrepair » Mon 11.12.2017, 03:13

He has had it on before. I guess with no reserve it will sell this time.
Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 11.12.2017, 04:00

There was no reserve last time. Just another "nobody responsible" eBay auction.

Buyers have all the rights and sellers get screwed.

Shame, it was a deal at the last sale price - worth more than that for the most common parts.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 11.12.2017, 10:34

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:.......Buyers have all the rights and sellers get screwed.........

Not quite correct, but i know what you mean.

I rarely use ebay these days (only as an 'all-in-one' window shopping place - BIN, posted, job done!).

I can only talk for the UK site, but the big problem with the high-value ticket items (cars, plant machinery etc) is that probably 20% of the adverts placed on ebay are part of an organised crime 'scam' - a group I belong to have averaged just over 1000 scam adverts a day removed because of our actions - NOT because Ebay have found them themselves. The annoyance (apart from people losing £6K a time on a non-existant bargain), is that Ebay have the technology to stop this happening, but seem to lack the will, despite much pressure being applied.

This has the effect that the unscupulous sellers get away with murder (actually, litterally! - the head of the OCG is a Romanian national, hiding in Russia, and he has a $1m bounty on his head from the FBI, and the Russians want to ask him about some dead people).

The only losers are the genuine sellers who get messed about, usually by 'buyers' who know that the system is weighted in their favour when it comes to a dispute.

... a prime example being the grief that Clemo had when listing his red car recently - it's all about the profit for ebay - they aint running any form of public service.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 11.12.2017, 14:28

I agree. A friend was part of a "group" of buyers willing to pool their money for a high-end Corvette only to lose his payment to a fraud and eBay did nothing to help them.

When I was very active selling Thinkpad spare parts on eBay, I figure around 20% of buyers never completed their purchases and eBay still took my money as sales commissions & listing fees. Other buyers paid for their parts but then filed "not as described" complaints and got their money refunded without any way for me to complain. A lot of those parts were brand new, in sealed IBM boxes as I was buying excess stock from IBM at the time.

eBay is still a good place to get a bargain... If the buyer does his homework and confirms the seller is legit.

Anyway, the Silver car has some flaws, but $4,805.00 (£3,600.00) - last auction final price - for a running M100 was a bloody steal!

If it wasn't so expensive to have it delivered to me from New Jersey, I would probably bid on it since I have all of the bits needed to make it complete, but it will possibly go to a salvage company due to the value of the individual parts.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusrepair » Mon 11.12.2017, 15:41

I did not follow the end of the last auction for the car. Did not know it went so cheap. If $4500 would take it I would be very tempted. I am only about an hour or so away from there. As winter temps finally come in the price of convertibles goes down.
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby esprit888 » Mon 11.12.2017, 20:54

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I agree. A friend was part of a "group" of buyers willing to pool their money for a high-end Corvette only to lose his payment to a fraud and eBay did nothing to help them.

When I was very active selling Thinkpad spare parts on eBay, I figure around 20% of buyers never completed their purchases and eBay still took my money as sales commissions & listing fees. Other buyers paid for their parts but then filed "not as described" complaints and got their money refunded without any way for me to complain. A lot of those parts were brand new, in sealed IBM boxes as I was buying excess stock from IBM at the time.

eBay is still a good place to get a bargain... If the buyer does his homework and confirms the seller is legit.

Anyway, the Silver car has some flaws, but $4,805.00 (£3,600.00) - last auction final price - for a running M100 was a bloody steal!

If it wasn't so expensive to have it delivered to me from New Jersey, I would probably bid on it since I have all of the bits needed to make it complete, but it will possibly go to a salvage company due to the value of the individual parts.

Dammit John, i was trying to sneak in there ! :lol:
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby lotusrepair » Sun 17.12.2017, 06:09

The price has passed the last time it was on ebay. Looks like 2 bidders are going at it.
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 17.12.2017, 12:50

lotusrepair wrote:The price has passed the last time it was on ebay. Looks like 2 bidders are going at it.

Looks like 3 are going at it to me - which is good news for the seller .. :-D
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Sun 17.12.2017, 13:27

Looks like 3 semi serious bidders and 14 absolute time wasters to me :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 22.12.2017, 02:38

SOLD for $5,200 good buy! :)
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Fri 22.12.2017, 05:24

Note that eBay Motors sale are completely non-binding. The seller is under absolutely no obligation to sell the car if they don't want to.
lotos
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 22.12.2017, 05:28

He has been trying for a while.

If he wanted a better price, he should have given it a bit of attention and fixed the simple things.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 22.12.2017, 16:38

lotos wrote:Note that eBay Motors sale are completely non-binding. The seller is under absolutely no obligation to sell the car if they don't want to.

albeit at the risk of negative feedback. No doubt, selling on Ebay has become a challenge and I've seen the site evolve into a cheap import discount goods store of pirated items. early on in its life, Ebay was THE prime place to sell your classic car. Seems Bring-a-Trailer has stepped up, although I have some quarrel with them and their control over setting reserve prices.
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Return to North America Elans - For Sale