BAT Auction Norfolk Yellow 17k miles

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: BAT Auction Norfolk Yellow 17k miles

Postby Rambo » Wed 11.07.2018, 17:07

ElanBRG wrote: In the UK, this car would have sold for a lot less

A lot less. I don't think so :shock:

$14,750 equates to approx. £11,000

For such a low mileage, mint condition M100 in a very sought after colour that is cheap. Here are some examples currently on the market with similar low mileage....

23k miles in red for £15,995 (UK Sportscars)

30k miles in yellow for £15,000 (Pistonheads, private sale)

6.6k miles in yellow for £21,995 (Pistonheads, SW Lotus)
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 11.07.2018, 19:46

Rambo wrote:
ElanBRG wrote: In the UK, this car would have sold for a lot less

A lot less. I don't think so :shock:

$14,750 equates to approx. £11,000

For such a low mileage, mint condition M100 in a very sought after colour that is cheap. Here are some examples currently on the market with similar low mileage....

23k miles in red for £15,995 (UK Sportscars)

30k miles in yellow for £15,000 (Pistonheads, private sale)

6.6k miles in yellow for £21,995 (Pistonheads, SW Lotus)

Those are asking prices, which aren't very interesting. Lotos would have probably had a $30K asking price. Do you have any published auction results for comparables over there?
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Wed 11.07.2018, 23:26

Randy, you didn't answer my question about WHO set the reserve. I will bet it was BaT and that bothers me big time!
it's a shame you didn't get near your fantasy price, although we all realize that was pie in the sky, however you practically gave this car away and it's not necessarily your fault. the market values are what they are. M100's are clearly undervalued. Hopefully someday, they will come into their own.
This was easily a $20K's car.
I know i won't be selling mine for less. If that means i'm stuck with it, so be it, but i don't consider myself stuck with such a beauty that can never be duplicated.
i know family and health issues force owners into a corner and force them to do what they do not like doing..... i'm sorry for your Randy that you didn't get big bucks for your pristine example.
i'll get off my soapbox now....
:-D
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby donsladek » Thu 12.07.2018, 04:07

I agree with Ted:

tedtaylor wrote: M100's are clearly undervalued. Hopefully someday, they will come into their own.

Hagerty Insurance provides valuations on a variety of collector cars in the US, and their latest evaluation of the M100 is:

#1 - Concours condition - $25,500 - Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 - Excellent condition - $19,300 - Condition #2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 - Good condition - $14,800 - Condition #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 - Fair condition - $9500 - Condition #4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

In my opinion, I'd say Randy's car is between #2 condition and #1 condition, but as they say, opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one. :D

Randy - best of luck to you and your family, and we hope to see you back in a Lotus in the future.
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Fri 13.07.2018, 18:32

A few key people worked really hard to keep the price down, unfortunately. It's okay, I'd gladly pay a Ross Tax just to not have to deal with him, honestly. I know the buyer is getting a great car, and he's already an M100 owner so he's going to care for it.
lotos
God

Postby tedtaylor » Sun 15.07.2018, 19:43

"Ross tax" ???? I'm confused, even though I know who you're talking about.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby lotos » Mon 16.07.2018, 01:59

It means I gladly took less money to not have to deal with him.

When my mom died, her husband was a real piece of s**t about everything. We got a very small life insurance check, barely enough to cover funeral expenses, and he kept harassing me about it, saying it was supposed to be for him to start a new life. In the end, I gave him money just to get him the hell out of my life and it was the best money I've ever spent as it's been almost 20 years and I've never heard from him again.
lotos
God

Postby ElanBRG » Mon 16.07.2018, 05:17

lotos wrote:A few key people worked really hard to keep the price down, unfortunately. It's okay, I'd gladly pay a Ross Tax just to not have to deal with him, honestly. I know the buyer is getting a great car, and he's already an M100 owner so he's going to care for it.

Can you elaborate for those of us that don't know your backstory?
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 18.07.2018, 16:18

lotos wrote:A few key people worked really hard to keep the price down, unfortunately. It's okay, I'd gladly pay a Ross Tax just to not have to deal with him, honestly. I know the buyer is getting a great car, and he's already an M100 owner so he's going to care for it.

Still curious if Lotos is insinuating that there is something very crooked about BaT, or he was just being personally targeted. Who are these "few people."

Does anyone know the story here? I'd like to use BaT to sell cars, but I'd like to know the gotchas first.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby lotos » Wed 18.07.2018, 16:35

Oh I think BaT is great. I've used them before and will use them again.
lotos
God

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 18.07.2018, 17:23

lotos wrote:Oh I think BaT is great. I've used them before and will use them again.

If BaT is great, how did a "few people" manage to keep your price down? I don't understand how they did that. The comments section didn't have anything too damning of the car or seller.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby applesaint » Sat 21.07.2018, 20:07

I presume he is referring to Ross's commentary, which may have scared away buyers, or lowered perceived value.
applesaint

Postby tigerdog » Sat 21.07.2018, 20:57

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:The history is strange with a "Factory Buy-Back" included.

I knew that car and talked extensively with the owner previous to Randy - turns out he had it stashed in a garage within a few blocks of where I lived. The factory involvement was exactly due to a leaking top. According to the owner, the car was bought back by Lotus, who proceeded to fit a modified top that was built to avoid the leak issue. He claims to have been a friend of someone at Lotus US, and this car was the first to have the modified top assembly. Of course, it spent most of its life in a garage in San Diego, so the top was probably never tested. :)

If the new owner is lurking here on LEC, PM me if you'd like photos of what it looked like when it rolled out of its slumber. I have a few shots around here somewhere.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby sideways » Fri 24.08.2018, 05:06

applesaint wrote:I presume he is referring to Ross's commentary, which may have scared away buyers, or lowered perceived value.

I am as confused as pretty much everyone else. I saw two comments from a Ross, one asking about the clutch and another saying he would have paid more for the car.

What did I miss (other than this car :D ).

PS, I am still impressed with my 1991, just recently bought...just waiting for the collector plates to arrive.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to North America Elans - For Sale