My Elan Going on Bring-A-Trailer Soon

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

My Elan Going on Bring-A-Trailer Soon

Postby ElanBRG » Fri 14.09.2018, 16:38

Just a heads up that my Elan will go back on Bring A Trailer in a week or two, with No Reserve. That means it will sell to the highest bidder, even if that's only $1!

A quick history: I purchased this Elan on Bring A Trailer in January this year from Otis in South Carolina. Otis is the original owner from brand new, and is a real nice guy that is a long time Lotus enthusiast. He has owned 8 Lotus of various vintages. I have stayed in touch with him and let him know about the progress of the car as I fettled everything (hey, it's a legit hobby).

To be honest, I bought this Elan on a whim from my phone while sitting in my Jag in the parking lot of a Range Rover dealership. I bought a Range Rover Sport on that same day, so all of sudden I was up to 6 British cars in my household, which confirms my weakness for Lotus and JLR products.

I always wanted to own an Elan after driving my friend's red RHD when I lived in Hong Kong back in the mid 90's. Since I enjoy working on all my cars, and learning about the in's and out's of different cars mechanically, 6 British cars are just too many to sustain with my work and family schedule. So after a lot of wrenching and learning about this car, and enjoying 800+ miles of top down fun during the summer, I am now selling this Elan and counting the itch as scratched.

The next owner will benefit from a lot of work done to this car as I prepared it for long-term ownership. This car has basically had a frame-on restoration. Major work by Otis and me includes: High-end repaint, new convertible top, refurbished interior, new windshield, new exhaust, new sound system, new shocks, refinished wheels, and new tires. And these key maintenance items have just been addressed:

New timing belt in Feb 2018, 800 miles ago
Water pump, tensioner, and accessory belts changed at same time as timing belt
All fluids just changed: Engine, Gearbox, Coolant, Power Steering, and Brake Fluid
New thermostat and header tank at same time as coolant flush
New spark plugs
New fuel filter
New heater box seal
Recently rebuilt headlamp motors
New wiper blades
New flexible brake hoses, refurbished calipers, new front and rear pads
Fresh battery
Upgraded metal shifter cables
Fresh wheel alignment
New outside and inside window trim across the top of the doors
Updated CAS sensor
K&N air filter

Car has no accidents, buy backs, floods, or any of those types of issues. I have the clean and clear title in hand.

Even though it has 134K miles (an average of only 5K miles/year), the Blackstone oil analysis came back great for the engine, and the transmission shifts very well.

Hopefully the auction goes as well as this car looks and drives!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ElanBRG on Sat 15.09.2018, 15:17, edited 17 times in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Re: My Elan Going on Bring-A-Trailer Soon

Postby ElanBRG » Fri 14.09.2018, 16:46

A few more pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ElanBRG on Fri 14.09.2018, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Fri 14.09.2018, 17:11

A couple of videos:

Driving: https://youtu.be/Udhy70wW0XY

Walk Around: https://youtu.be/Lr9VjuZfbKY
Last edited by ElanBRG on Wed 19.09.2018, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Fri 14.09.2018, 19:48

A few more...
Last edited by ElanBRG on Fri 14.09.2018, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Fri 14.09.2018, 23:46

Let's have a contest - winner gets a new set of floor mats from SJs!

To win, post your guess below as to the winning bid price of this upcoming online auction. The closest guess to the final bid price wins!

A few more details to help with your guess: I bought it for $13K on BAT in the middle of winter, and the white one with similar miles that sold before it sold for $14.5K. A super low miles one sold closer to $15K after mine, but had a lemon buyback on its record that seemed to hurt its final bid price.

This one has been improved in significant ways since I bought it, such as new timing belt (was below the miles but over the time limit -- 5yrs/60K miles), new windshield, wheels refinished and new tires, and many other maintenance items and little items. My total spend making these improvements and maintenance was about $4K, not counting any of the many hours of my labor. This car has no stories, only 2 owners, and is very original. I'll have over a 100 high-res pics on the auction listing with even more videos so bidders can see everything about the car.

So post your guess here to officially enter to win the floor mats!

Contest Rules:
The closest guess to the final bid price wins.
You can't guess the same amount that someone else guessed.
Guesses must be in round US dollars.
Guesses must be in this thread to count.
To avoid ties, if two guesses are equally lower and higher than the final bid price, the higher guess wins.
You can only enter once per forum user name.
No cost to enter.
Once the auction starts, all guesses will be locked in.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Sun 16.09.2018, 00:28

$15,000 even though I think it is worth much more, i'm just saying public market values are light due to ignorance of the general public.
GLWTA
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby sideways » Sun 16.09.2018, 02:50

"I bought it for $13K on BAT"

And that will be the reference point for the many mouth breathers of BaT.

Look forward to the flipper/dealer comments from the ignorati, none of whom ever bid - or if they do - they do so knowing that their feeble gesture of $1991/$1588 (depending of the date/cc of the car in question) will never get them the car.

They will then go on, with this example here, to decry the FWD and then go further to relate the tale of their uncle's brother who knew someone who had one of these which broke down on the way to their pregnant sister's wedding which caused them to missed the open bar...

Still go on it every day so, what does that say about me? :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Postby ElanBRG » Sun 16.09.2018, 04:52

tedtaylor wrote:$15,000 even though I think it is worth much more, i'm just saying public market values are light due to ignorance of the general public.
GLWTA

I’d be happy with that number. I have to accept that I was going to lose money with such a short ownership when considering sales taxes, shipping, BaT fees, maintenance, and repairs.

But I’d lose a lot more money driving a new car for such a short period of time, so it’s all relative.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Sun 16.09.2018, 04:53

sideways wrote:"I bought it for $13K on BAT"

Look forward to the flipper/dealer comments from the ignorati, none of whom ever bid - or if they do - they do so knowing that their feeble gesture of $1991/$1588 (depending of the date/cc of the car in question) will never get them the car.

They will then go on, with this example here, to decry the FWD and then go further to relate the tale of their uncle's brother who knew someone who had one of these which broke down on the way to their pregnant sister's wedding which caused them to missed the open bar...

All so true.

So your guess is 13k or ?
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby lotusrepair » Sun 16.09.2018, 16:29

Do you have a verification from BaT or hoping to get it listed? My friend had his car rejected for the auction.
What are you really hoping to get for it?
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Sun 16.09.2018, 17:05

lotusrepair wrote:Do you have a verification from BaT or hoping to get it listed? My friend had his car rejected for the auction.
What are you really hoping to get for it?

Yes, it has been fully approved and I have paid the BaT listing fee. I am just waiting for them to create the listing since their journalists do that, unlike eBay where you do it. It’s been a week, and they said 2 weeks, so expecting it to go up at the end of the month.

I hope to get at least what I paid for it being realistic about not getting back the money I put into it during short ownership. The Elan at this point in history is not a good car for making any money from "flipping," not that I expected to sell it so quickly.

The original listing had pretty poor pictures and no video, and Otis was not quick to reply to questions. It was also the middle of the winter, which is not as good as the fall for selling convertibles, but still not the ideal Spring weather time. All said, I think getting at least $13k is doable.

Of course, since it’s looking so good and now up-to-date on maintenance, hopefully it will do better than $13K and boost the values of everyone's Elan in the US. Aside from the mileage, it's the best presented one with only 1 previous owner, no black marks on the history, up-to-date maintenance, and looking so good. A lot of ratty ones have been on the market lately that are way overdue for cambelts, lots of owners, bad histories, and poorly presented that have been bringing the values down IMO.

So what’s your guess?
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby sideways » Sun 16.09.2018, 20:44

ElanBRG wrote:
sideways wrote:"I bought it for $13K on BAT"

All so true.

So your guess is 13k or ?

I'm hoping you see $13,750+ - you paid $13 then you have fees, taxes (?) etc - I know that shouldn't factor in but...

Good luck with it anyway, looks like a good buy at $13K+ to me, we need to educate the BaT crowd who do NOT know these cars as to how good they are and, more to the point that, in common with virtually all Lotus - the value is going up.

(course, I would not be saying all that if I was still on the hunt :D )
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Postby ElanBRG » Mon 17.09.2018, 07:13

sideways wrote:
Good luck with it anyway, looks like a good buy at $13K+ to me, we need to educate the BaT crowd who do NOT know these cars as to how good they are and, more to the point that, in common with virtually all Lotus - the value is going up.

Thanks for the good luck!

To your point, I hope lots of people on here post educational comments about how good the Elan is in my upcoming BaT auction. It's would definitely benefit the Elan community as BaT gives good exposure to car enthusiasts that would otherwise never visit an Elan forum.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby Sleeka » Tue 18.09.2018, 07:22

My guess is $14,500 just because of the mileage.

Good luck and I hope in brings more.
Sleeka

Postby ElanBRG » Tue 18.09.2018, 14:54

Sleeka wrote:My guess is $14,500 just because of the mileage.

Good luck and I hope in brings more.

I agree about the mileage holding this car back.

For some people, it doesn't matter that the engine oil analysis shows the engine is doing great, that there's been a ton of restoration to make the car better than a low mileage example, that the car looks like new, and has zero rust, they just won't bid because of the mileage.

That's just the way it is in the car world.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby Kipperozzy » Wed 19.09.2018, 22:39

She certainly looks great from the photos, I reckon $15001 , good luck
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 19.09.2018, 22:44

Kipperozzy wrote:She certainly looks great from the photos, I reckon $15001 , good luck

Thanks, Kipperozzy! That would be a great final price, and I think it would boost values of both higher and lower mileage Elans.

Aside from the pictures, I updated the videos that show the car in more detail and in motion with these new links:

Driving: https://youtu.be/Udhy70wW0XY

Walk Around: https://youtu.be/Lr9VjuZfbKY

I updated the links in my above post because the old ones have been deactivated.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Return to North America Elans - For Sale