Last chance for a low priced M100

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Last chance for a low priced M100

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.10.2018, 13:52

Although the car is suspicious due to heavy wear and a low mileage KPH speedometer, this might help someone fix up a problem car or generate a lot of parts.
The listing ends in around 6 hours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-lotus-elan/
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: Last chance for a low priced M100

Postby ElanBRG » Thu 11.10.2018, 15:16

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Although the car is suspicious due to heavy wear and a low mileage KPH speedometer, this might help someone fix up a problem car or generate a lot of parts.
The listing ends in around 6 hours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-lotus-elan/

This is a reserve auction. With the seller believing it's only an 8K mile car, and seemly oblivious at the time of listing that its history would be questioned and the odometer looking out of sync with the wear, the seller could easily have put a reserve over $20K on it. So it's unlikely that this is a chance for a low priced M100.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.10.2018, 16:04

One could always hope.

Comparing this sale to your's, I see the difference.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby ElanBRG » Thu 11.10.2018, 16:29

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:One could always hope.

Comparing this sale to your's, I see the difference.

Thanks!

I think it's kinda too bad about this listing. I put a lot of effort into presenting my car, and my sale made a good boost in the visible recorded sale price of an Elan with over 100K miles. Asking prices are high in a lot of regular ads for M100's, but that means nothing compared to actual selling prices that are not often published.

I'm thinking this one is likely a no-sale at a low final bid price that will kill the momentum my car started.

The dealer should have put more effort into discovering the history and presenting the car more fully and upfront before putting up for sale on BaT where the comment section is also a permanent record that can quickly become a shark tank if you don't have it together as a seller. It's also not good to let long periods lapse before responding to comments, as can be seen in this auction. Sediment goes south very fast.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.10.2018, 17:24

I was interested in the provenance of this car so I abused my friendship with several people at Lotus UK and called them this morning to ask them to help provide any history or record they have for the advertised VIN.

Their email back to me from Andy Graham, archivist at Lotus UK, states the following:

"Thank you for your enquiry. The theory from some is correct. This is a Canadian 1992 Elan (2nd from last actually so quite a special car).

It went from the (UK) factory to Coiteux Autos LTEE in Canada and they would retain any further history once the car enters Canada. I am sorry but we have no further history."

I will post this in the other section discussing this car as well
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby esprit888 » Fri 12.10.2018, 05:59

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I was interested in the provenance of this car so I abused my friendship with several people at Lotus UK and called them this morning to ask them to help provide any history or record they have for the advertised VIN.

Their email back to me from Andy Graham, archivist at Lotus UK, states the following:

"Thank you for your enquiry. The theory from some is correct. This is a Canadian 1992 Elan (2nd from last actually so quite a special car).

It went from the (UK) factory to Coiteux Autos LTEE in Canada and they would retain any further history once the car enters Canada. I am sorry but we have no further history."

I will post this in the other section discussing this car as well

Wondering if that’s second to last Canadian M100 or second to last North American M100? Even then second to last ? Does that make it special? Last maybe, but you know what they about finishing second!
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 12.10.2018, 13:03

Not sure. Since there is no distinction between FED and Canada, I assume Fed model. Aren't they ALL special?
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Fri 12.10.2018, 16:57, edited 3 times in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby steve matthews » Fri 12.10.2018, 16:35

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Second to last Fed car as I understand it.

But the Vin is to low.
steve matthews
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 12.10.2018, 16:54

steve matthews wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Second to last Fed car shipped to North America as I understand it.

But the Vin is to low.

Sorry, Lotus keeps pretty good records. They are never sold or shipped in numerical sequence. I was thinking shipped or sold. I will ask Chris B. when I next see him.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to North America Elans - For Sale