The Thrill Is Gone...

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

The Thrill Is Gone...

Postby sideways » Wed 12.12.2018, 01:40

Car is near Vancouver BC Canada, has 73Kms/45Kmiles has the Elanchip V5

New photos of the underside.

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpg

Grand daughter NOT included in sale!!!

Damage to prongeron(?) found/shown and a small hole is just showing on the muffler so price reduced to $19,800 Canadian which is $14.650 (approx) US.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sideways on Fri 18.10.2019, 21:09, edited 5 times in total.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Re: The Thrill Is Gone...

Postby sideways » Sun 30.12.2018, 23:39

As above.
Last edited by sideways on Fri 18.10.2019, 21:10, edited 3 times in total.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby sideways » Mon 31.12.2018, 21:23

Got the info on the chip.

Elanchip V5

1. Garage mode 1499 (0.4bar maximum boost)

2. Stock 1499 (as Lotus released)

3. Kilimanjaro 1499 V5 (0.8 bar maximum boost)

4. Everest 1499 V5 (0.9 bar maximum boost)

5. Elysium 1499 V5 (0.95 bar maximum boost)
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Mon 07.01.2019, 22:02

bowing out...
Last edited by tedtaylor on Sat 12.01.2019, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'65 Elan S2
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby sideways » Mon 07.01.2019, 23:59

tedtaylor wrote:are you saying your "chip" is adjustable to any of the 5 settings?
BTW, I think the side view is the best! :)

Yes, you simply select whichever mode you wish via the Moates EX switch which is mounted to the left of the12v/lighter thing.
Last edited by sideways on Fri 18.10.2019, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Tue 08.01.2019, 00:44

sideways wrote:
tedtaylor wrote:It seems ridiculous but that side view is my primary objection to the M100 - if it was a Plus 2 length I would probably keep it and sell the 964!

First world, I know... :D

I only lasted a little longer than you. It was maybe 6 months before I started down the road of selling it. The stubby, chopped off, side view seemed ok to me at times, but most of the time I looked at it as a missed opportunity for Lotus to make a much more compelling and sexy-looking sports car if it had been longer -- instead of something that looked more like a cute little toy car.

If Lotus had plans to elongate the car for their 4 wheel drive version and/or a 2+2, things could have been very different for the M-100 looks-wise.

Now what got me was that as I worked more and more on every part of the car doing repair and refurbishment projects, my attitude about what the M100 really is changed dramatically. You see, I love everything Lotus, and my goal of buying an M100 was to further soak in that Lotus 90's feeling that I got with my 91 Esprit SE. But I came to realize slowly until it hit me like a 2x4 one day that the M-100 is not really a Lotus no matter what anyone says. It's really a GM car, and worst of all, it's a GM car from the worst time in GM history -- the 80's. As I worked on the car, I could literally feel the struggle between the Lotus engineers trying to make a Lotus and GM management forcing them to make a GM car. Despite what anyone says, including Lotus engineers or Mike Kimberly, I really feel they were forced into doing so many things, like front wheel drive, like Isuzu drivetrain, like the interior, etc, with off-the-shelf GM parts and designs instead of doing it the Lotus way. And it wasn't Cadillac parts and designs they were forced to use. Heck, it wasn't even Oldsmobile, or Buick, or even Chevy parts and designs -- it was *gasp* the lowest-of-the-low Geo parts and designs! In my mind, the right way to look at an M-100 is that it's a Geo Metro "with handling and styling by Lotus."

With that said, and my 6 other cars (2 modern Jags, a classic E-type, Range Rover Sport, Esprit V8, and a Lamborghini) vying for my maintenance and driving attention, there was no way I was going to continue spending time and money on something I really hate (80's GM) when I was intending on spending time on something I really love, the Lotus magic that made the world-beating Esprit SE.

Fortunately, I was able to sell my M-100 for a lot more than I paid for it!

Good luck with your sale!
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby steve matthews » Tue 08.01.2019, 02:15

ElanBRG wrote:
sideways wrote:
tedtaylor wrote:It seems ridiculous but that side view is my primary objection to the M100 - if it was a Plus 2 length I would probably keep it and sell the 964!

First world, I know... :D

I only lasted a little longer than you. It was maybe 6 months before I started down the road of selling it. The stubby, chopped off, side view seemed ok to me at times, but most of the time I looked at it as a missed opportunity for Lotus to make a much more compelling and sexy-looking sports car if it had been longer -- instead of something that looked more like a cute little toy car.
If Lotus had plans to elongate the car for their 4 wheel drive version and/or a 2+2, things could have been very different for the M-100 looks-wise.
Now what got me was that as I worked more and more on every part of the car doing repair and refurbishment projects, my attitude about what the M100 really is changed dramatically. You see, I love everything Lotus, and my goal of buying an M100 was to further soak in that Lotus 90's feeling that I got with my 91 Esprit SE. But I came to realize slowly until it hit me like a 2x4 one day that the M-100 is not really a Lotus no matter what anyone says. It's really a GM car, and worst of all, it's a GM car from the worst time in GM history -- the 80's. As I worked on the car, I could literally feel the struggle between the Lotus engineers trying to make a Lotus and GM management forcing them to make a GM car. Despite what anyone says, including Lotus engineers or Mike Kimberly, I really feel they were forced into doing so many things, like front wheel drive, like Isuzu drivetrain, like the interior, etc, with off-the-shelf GM parts and designs instead of doing it the Lotus way.
And it wasn't Cadillac parts and designs they were forced to use. Heck, it wasn't even Oldsmobile, or Buick, or even Chevy parts and designs -- it was *gasp* the lowest-of-the-low Geo parts and
designs! In my mind, the right way to look at an M-100 is that it's a Geo Metro "with handling and styling by Lotus.

With that said, and my 6 other cars (2 modern Jags, a classic E-type, Range Rover Sport, Esprit V8, and a Lamborghini) vying for my maintenance and driving attention, there was no way I was going
to continue spending time and money on something I really hate (80's GM) when I was intending on spending time on something I really love, the Lotus magic that made the world-beating Esprit
Fortunately, I was able to sell my M-100 for a lot more than I paid for it!
Good luck with your sale!

You sold your M-100 why are you still babbling on this web sight may I ask. I love the little Lotus have owned 2. :poke:
steve matthews
God

Postby sideways » Tue 08.01.2019, 03:22

"You sold your M-100 why are you still babbling on this web sight may I ask. I love the little Lotus have owned 2."

WebSITE matthew.

:!:
Last edited by sideways on Sun 02.06.2019, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby ElanBRG » Tue 08.01.2019, 05:38

Don’t be angry guys. I tried the M-100, gave it a really good go to learn all about it and treated it like gold, and personally didn’t like it. Why does that have to make you so angry? We can’t give our honest impressions on here?

If the guy selling his M-100 after 3 months really loved it, he wouldn’t be getting rid of it so soon. Actually you kinda have to hate it to do that, unless you’re a flipper. He’s not.

Automobiles are all very different, and not everyone likes the same vehicles. If you like 80’s Geo’s, more power to you because that doesn’t make you a bad person. Attacking me for giving my educated review of the car does though.
Last edited by ElanBRG on Wed 09.01.2019, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Tue 08.01.2019, 11:25

Okay, I have read the above comments, and feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion - mine sides with Steve M on this one - I LOVE my little Elan.......

...... but I have to accept that 'some' say it isn't a real Lotus....

..... and more importantly, it isn't the ideal car for them to own/drive/look at. That's fine - I wouldn't probably even say "thank you" if i was offered a Porsche (yes, I've driven many of the different models over the years, but just don't 'get' them)

A couple of points about the M100 history (and I'm no great expert, only going on what I've been told from many sources over the years) - I think it's unfair to describe it as a Geo Metro in disguise (or any other Geo for that matter). The power plant is shared with the Isuzu Impulse (which was imported into USA from Japan as a ready-assembled, buy-it-now car, and re-badged as a Geo Storm - but with a slightly different engine), but the running gear isn't. The brakes are shared with some Oldsmobile cars, and the interior switchgear is Vauxhall Astra/Cavalier/Calibra/Carlton.

So, basically, we have a car designed/styled by Peter Stevens for Lotus, and designed/engineered by Mike Kimberley for Lotus - but using some parts from the shelves (much like Lotus has always done). The main difference here is that they were possibly 'told' to only use GM parts, or it may be that the GM parts will do the job, so why look elsewhere and make life harder for yourself.

The whole FWD (raft) suspension system is pure Lotus.

The engine tweeks are pure Lotus.

The build quality is DEFINITELY Lotus :lol:

Basically, it is a 'real' Lotus, but maybe it's NOT a 'sportscar' - which is another arguement altogether.

So, lets all buy/own what we want - peace & love etc etc etc
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Giniw » Tue 08.01.2019, 14:00

I agree with you dapinky.
No problem with someone who doesn't like the M100, possibly because it has not a lotus engine but in that case pretty much all Lotus are not real Lotus except the Esprit ... (good bye the 7, good bye the Elan (ford based engine), good bye Elise/Exige/Evora (Rover/Toyota), etc). I really don't understand what is wrong with Isuzu (especially when it has proved to be quite reliable)
As for the rest, it's a backbone chassis with a GRP shell, like most Lotus.
And as for trimming parts shared with other manufacturers (GM for instance) well, it's in Lotus DNA too (and the Esprit makes no exception)
It's FWD. Indeed. And so, what is the issue with that? Maybe you don't like it for some reason and that is perfectly fine, but why woulnd't it be a proper Lotus when it is widely recognised as a very, very good handling car?

Anyway, it's perfectly normal some people don't like it, but why woulnd't it be a proper Lotus I don't understand.
Last edited by Giniw on Tue 08.01.2019, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
God

Postby par » Tue 08.01.2019, 14:15

If only they could have grafted door handles from a Marina onto the M100 it could be considered a real Lotus like the Esprit :wink:
par
Fanatic

Postby steve matthews » Tue 08.01.2019, 14:21

par wrote:If only they could have grafted door handles from a Marina onto the M100 it could be considered a real Lotus like the Esprit :wink:

Now that was uncalled for. Im going for a ride in my (Ford Jag) to think about these posts. :-D
steve matthews
God

Postby donsladek » Tue 08.01.2019, 15:45

par wrote:If only they could have grafted door handles from a Marina onto the M100 it could be considered a real Lotus like the Esprit :wink:

I kind of like the Fed high mounted brake light from the Buick parts bin :smt078
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 08.01.2019, 16:00

Personally I like the black rocker switches from a washing machine in the original 60s S4 Elan. Hotpoint, Bendix Hoover? Who knows?
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby Giniw » Tue 08.01.2019, 16:01

:lol: (did they keep the rotary controller too? :-D )
Giniw
God

Postby ElanBRG » Tue 08.01.2019, 17:02

I accept and am ok that Lotus uses a lot of parts from other car's parts bins. Heck that's a good thing in general. Lamborghini does it too, and thank god they do because I can find parts for literally 1/10 the price of factory prices when I am able to get a cross reference for a part. And in the case of my 91 Esprit, that GM parts bin made that car much more reliable than the pre-GM era.

For me, it's just that the Elan has too much the DNA of a Geo and I personally hated those cars.

My 2 modern Jags, that we use as daily drivers, are really 2000's Lincoln at their core that the Jag people worked over extensively. The difference related to the Elan is that I personally like and respect the core of the 2000's Lincolns after driving them and working on them.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Enthusiast

Postby sideways » Tue 08.01.2019, 20:16

I really do like the car, honest but length matters and the wee car just comes up a little short for me.

I haven't asked the wife because I already know what she would say! :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 11.01.2019, 01:32

bowing out...
Last edited by tedtaylor on Sat 12.01.2019, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'65 Elan S2
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby sideways » Fri 11.01.2019, 02:34

tedtaylor wrote:"to each their own" ?

I can only say, my M100 makes my eclectic Lotus collection over the years very complete. My wife likes it the best since it is the most civilized SPORTS car we own. We can get in and out with ease. It has a large trunk. It has air conditioning. It is a convertible. It is nearly maintenance free and VERY reliable. It is zippy quick and handles superbly. On spirited Lotus drives with other Elises and Esprits, I'm right on their tail. What more could one ask of a Lotus????

Hey, there's probably only 300 left (i'm guessing) roadworthy here in the states, and I own one of the best. Anyone can have a mass produced Porsche, Jag, etc., or any of a number of other sports cars out there, but I know I have a rare and significant example of Lotus history.

You cause me agony, I know, I know, I know, he quietly sobbed - its not you, its me...

But I still have to look at the car every day (okay I don't have to look at it every day but I typically do) and now that I have focussed on that side view I cannot see beyond it.

Its a bit like the Mona Lisa, beautiful, enigmatic, a little mysterious and always showing the promise of much more - but the first time I saw Mona...same problem...WOW!, err, it is a lot smaller than I thought it was. :D

No regrets and when I win the lottery, assuming I buy a ticket, my first project will be to fashion a kit which turns the M100 into an M102.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Next

Return to North America Elans - For Sale