Elans on Ebay

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Elans on Ebay

Postby geohawk » Sun 14.07.2019, 16:48

Good morning:
There are three Elans currently on Ebay...
geohawk

Re: Elans on Ebay

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 14.07.2019, 16:56

There have been quite a few over the last several months.

I would strongly suggest that anyone looking at ANY M100 for sale should get it checked out by someone qualified before purchase.

At least 3 of those listed over the last months in the US have had serious issues that were not disclosed and the new owners are now struggling to get them roadworthy again.

Just my two cents...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby esprit888 » Sun 14.07.2019, 17:51

geohawk wrote:Good morning:

I'm only seeing two? the red one and the white one, both needing love, where is the third? There is also one on BAT which at first glance looks nice but look at the pics and cracks in the rear fenders, obviously been hit but is represented as no accidents.
esprit888
God

Postby sideways » Sun 14.07.2019, 20:19

esprit888 wrote:

I'm only seeing two? the red one and the white one, both needing love, where is the third? There is also one on BAT which at first glance looks nice but look at the pics and cracks in the rear fenders, obviously been hit but is represented as no accidents.

Seller of the green one on BaT has been very open about the damage to his car, both in the comments and the photos - Carfax only reports accidents which have been reported/processed hence the 'no accidents' shown by Carfax.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby esprit888 » Mon 15.07.2019, 02:20

sideways wrote:
esprit888 wrote:

Seller of the green one on BaT has been very open about the damage to his car, both in the comments and the photos - Carfax only reports accidents which have been reported/processed hence the 'no accidents' shown by Carfax.

Not sure why the third red one didn’t show on a search, but now there is only one and the two that ended don’t bode well for M100 pricing in North America even when requiring love. I would respectfully disagree that the BAT seller, who is a dealer, has been very open on the damage. The description downplays how they got there ( ‘cracks in the trunk sills can be seen in the photo gallery’ is the extent of the explanation) and omits to mention that both rear lights are damaged, not just the left one. The dealer purchased the car in this condition so is trying a quick flip, nothing wrong with that as BAT tends to draw more out of a car than EBay or Craigslist, just that in my opinion she has been rear ended and stating that is my idea of being very open.
esprit888
God

Postby sideways » Mon 15.07.2019, 04:21

esprit888 wrote:
Not sure why the third red one didn’t show on a search, but now there is only one and the two that ended don’t bode well for M100 pricing in North America even when requiring love. I would respectfully disagree that the BAT seller, who is a dealer, has been very open on the damage. The description downplays how they got there ( ‘cracks in the trunk sills can be seen in the photo gallery’ is the extent of the explanation) and omits to mention that both rear lights are damaged, not just the left one. The dealer purchased the car in this condition so is trying a quick flip, nothing wrong with that as BAT tends to draw more out of a car than EBay or Craigslist, just that in my opinion she has been rear ended and stating that is my idea of being very open.

The damage to BOTH rear lights is as clear as can be in the photos, the comments are also clear and the fact that the seller is a dealer is wholly irrelevant.

"The description downplays how they got there"

Do we actually know "how they got there" - I certainly don't but I can surmise, guess, make assumptions, put forward an opinion but that won't be anything other than opinion/guesswork/conjecture etc.

You can also guess etc and also apply your learned knowledge as you wish and as you have done on BaT but you are still guessing.

Me, I don't care how it happened as I am not bidding here but if I was bidding I would insist on an independent PPI.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby esprit888 » Mon 15.07.2019, 18:09

Wow, opinion rage :lol: Not sure this forum needs your wordy explanation on what an ‘opinion’ is ( FYI an opinion is a belief, whilst conjecture is guess or speculation) without 'opinions' this and all other forums would not exist, and as much as I appreciate your permission to express my ‘opinion’ on other forums I don’t need it. You are stating, not guessing, that I am allowed to apply my learned knowledge here ( thanks for that) and to BAT, perhaps if you had taken the trouble to research this lotus Elan, as I have, your ’opinion’ would be based on more than the fact that someone else’s ‘opinion’ doesn’t align with yours. You could have researched the previous owner (Doug B---d) or even run a local DMV search on the VIN, or, god forbid, paid the $100 to search all claims in all states this vehicle was registered in, something tells me you haven’t. As for saying that the difference between the seller being a dealer or a private party is ‘irrelevant’ (unrelated to the matter being discussed) I would again disagree, but that’s just my 'opinion'. Let’s ask the forum to express their learned wisdom, read the description and look at all the pictures in the link below, based on the rear end, does this M100 look, in your ‘opinion’ to have had impact? (look at the boot/trunk alignment, broken rear lights and RH crack at the rear fender/trunk area) Remember, it’s just your opinion, guess, conjecture, dream, Wild ass hallucination :lol: Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I may yet bid on this car, and i am continuing to research the cars History. I would like to ask the moderators to note that I have refrained from using the ‘opinions are like assholes’ line and am not calling anyone an asshole, :-D thank you https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-lotus-elan-16/
esprit888
God

Postby sideways » Tue 16.07.2019, 00:11

esprit888 wrote:Wow, opinion rage :lol: Not sure this forum needs your wordy explanation on what an ‘opinion’ is ( FYI an opinion is a belief, whilst conjecture is guess or speculation) without 'opinions' this and all other forums would not exist, and as much as I appreciate your permission to express my ‘opinion’ on other forums I don’t need it. You are stating, not guessing, that I am allowed to apply my learned knowledge here ( thanks for that) and to BAT, perhaps if you had taken the trouble to research this lotus Elan, as I have, your ’opinion’ would be based on more than the fact that someone else’s ‘opinion’ doesn’t align with yours. You could have researched the previous owner (Doug B---d) or even run a local DMV search on the VIN, or, god forbid, paid the $100 to search all claims in all states this vehicle was registered in, something tells me you haven’t. As for saying that the difference between the seller being a dealer or a private party is ‘irrelevant’ (unrelated to the matter being discussed) I would again disagree, but that’s just my 'opinion'. Let’s ask the forum to express their learned wisdom, read the description and look at all the pictures in the link below, based on the rear end, does this M100 look, in your ‘opinion’ to have had impact? (look at the boot/trunk alignment, broken rear lights and RH crack at the rear fender/trunk area) Remember, it’s just your opinion, guess, conjecture, dream, Wild ass hallucination :lol: Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I may yet bid on this car, and i am continuing to research the cars History. I would like to ask the moderators to note that I have refrained from using the ‘opinions are like assholes’ line and am not calling anyone an asshole, :-D thank you https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-lotus-elan-16/

Your fulmination is noted, your choice of language, also.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Return to North America Elans - For Sale