Well Known Elan For Sale "Blackie"

Elans for sale in North America

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Well Known Elan For Sale "Blackie"

Postby tvacc » Wed 02.10.2019, 19:57

Lotus Elan M100 For Sale

Selling for fellow LOONY

Doc Bundy's Lotus company car
"BLACKIE"

Blackie was the first M100 brought to the USA by

Lotus Cars. Driven by Doc Bundy, it was sold to a friend of the then President of Lotus USA, Car was completely rebuilt with the original motor put back in the car as a special motor was installed for Doc.

Car was recently purchased by my friend Ron and resides in Florida. Due to health issues Ron has to sell the car. $18000

Edit, Oct 3. I just spoke with Ron. We have lots of documentation that does go with the car. Car currently has 130,893 miles on the car. The new original rebuilt motor was installed at 117,000 miles. That is also when the timing belts were replaced. It appears from the paperwork that work was done in 2003. Yes, that is a lot of miles but the car has had lots of things replaced.

Obviously black, hence the name, please contact me if interested.

You can contact me at tvacc*at*lotusowners*dot* you know where/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tvacc on Fri 04.10.2019, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.lotusowners.com LOONYs (Lotus Owners of New York) 91 Elan, 71 Elan, Elan GTS, 66 Elan Coupe, 99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 93 Caterham, 74 Europa, President of Lotus Ltd, USA's largest Lotus Club.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Re: Well Known Elan For Sale "Blackie"

Postby Rambo » Wed 02.10.2019, 21:13

You might need some more details for Lotus lovers in the States. Such as....

Mileage
Service history
Details of cambelt replacement etc..
Any mods ?

Good luck with the sale
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 04.10.2019, 19:08

what kind of engine was in it for Doc Bundy??? would like to know more about that. racing spec engine?
why is it not still with/in the car?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'65 Elan S1.5
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby donsladek » Fri 04.10.2019, 19:39

Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 04.10.2019, 19:42

Doc wore out the original engine so Lotus US put in a replacement. It was STOCK, but brand new and thus the engine number on the VIN Plate no longer matched the one on the engine.

When Dave S. bought the car from Lotus, they agreed to give him the original engine and the parts needed to rebuild it so he could return it to original condition... It was the first car brought over to the US - before the first "for sale" car.

Nothing "high performance" or otherwise, jut put it back to the original paperwork.

BTW, that is the second M100 the owner (in Florida) has disposed of fairly quickly after purchasing it. He had a Red one before 'Blackie'.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Fri 04.10.2019, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby donsladek » Fri 04.10.2019, 19:58

Is this the original engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 04.10.2019, 20:31

Nope!

That was a "show" engine that was part of the "press release" dog and pony day for the M100. I have the engine that was used at the US Car Shows in the "rolling chassis" that was on display.

As best as I can see, it is a NEW engine with some "used" external parts (Alternator, Starter and Turbo) installed to make it look authentic. It is a Turbo engine since the dipstick and tube are different between the NA and Turbo.

I also have one of the "mule" Isuzu test engines that has some extra temp sensors and a fuel pressure outlet line on the fuel pressure regulator. No idea what kind of mileage it has on it though.

Lotus was selling off a lot of display and test components back in 2007 and I was offered a lot of it.

I have a brand new NA gearbox on the shelf. It would be great for someone that was seriously running the "autocross" circuits. It has a final drive ratio of 4.118 instead of the Turbo's 3.833.

The regular gear ratios are the same in both model gearboxes: 1st is 3.333:1, 2nd is 1.917:1, 3rd is 1.333:1, 4th is 1.027:1 and 5th is 0.829:1.

I don't know what Dave did with the engine he pulled from "Blackie" to reinstall the original (rebuilt) engine.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tvacc » Fri 04.10.2019, 21:36

I don't know what is implied by the statement that this is the second M100 that Ron has sold.

The first one he bought before he moved to Florida from New York. I sold it for him. Dean G in Virginia bought it. It was sold before he moved to Florida. I also sold this Nissan truck and trailer for him. He did not want to take any of his New York cars to Florida and he had just bought an Elan GTS that was shipped to Florida by the seller.

When he got to Florida, he realized that an original Elan (GTS or other wise) is just not comfortable in the hot Florida sun, so I bought the Elan GTS from him and he found another M100, Blackie.

Nothing sinister going on here. Ron is just not able to drive that much any longer. He is getting up there as we all hopefully will. It sure beats the alternative.

Tony
http://www.lotusowners.com LOONYs (Lotus Owners of New York) 91 Elan, 71 Elan, Elan GTS, 66 Elan Coupe, 99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 93 Caterham, 74 Europa, President of Lotus Ltd, USA's largest Lotus Club.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby steve matthews » Fri 04.10.2019, 21:50

tvacc wrote: I sold it for him. Dean G in Virginia bought it.

And the car was a mess. Dean still trying to get it sorted out.
steve matthews
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 04.10.2019, 21:58

Nothing implied, I just noted that he had one, sold it and bought Blackie and now is selling it in a fairly short time. Most owners don't change cars that quickly.

I "knew" Blackie since I knew Dave S. quite well (I bought out his M100 parts company a while ago). Blackie even had one of my "spare" AC compressors installed so Dave could complete the transaction.

Life isn't all a conspiracy. Just curious why so quick to sell it on...
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tvacc » Fri 04.10.2019, 22:02

I have seen Dean at least 5 times since he bought the car. He has never mentioned anything to me.
Car was not a mess when I sold it as I recall, but they are 20 plus year old cars. Things do go wrong.
I do take exception to the that statement like you are insinuating it was my fault or that I knowingly sold a car that had issues. I did not.
The car drove from Buffalo to Virginia with what I believe with no issues except a battery that was suspect.

All M100s have issues, that is the nature of this car as they age.

Tony V
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby tvacc » Fri 04.10.2019, 22:04

I think I have explained by Ron is selling the car. With age comes health issues.

Trust me, Ron does not WANT to sell the car. But if he really doesn't drive much anymore, why keep it.

Tony V
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby steve matthews » Fri 04.10.2019, 22:45

I agree with diving it on a regular basis to keep it up to snuff. This is my low mileage M100. It had been sitting for 2 years, since LOG 36. I used the LOG trip as a shakedown for a one month trip to the west coast. That was cut short in Illinois due to a head gasket failure.

Since my purchase of it 3 years ago it has received: windshield, muffler, belts, hoses, water pump, belt tensioner, battery, 2 window lifts, 2 headlight lifts, fuzzy weather striping, window scrapers, floor mats, door escutcheons, tires, wheels, front brake pads (the good kind Padget), brake fluid flush, radiator flush and shifter cables. Maybe a bit more.

Hope to see you at LOG 39 in Massachusetts. I want to take my 1963 Elite and show it off. It should be pretty much finished by then. It may not have a repaint by then. I'm receiving estimates in the $15-25K range.

If this was not the M-100 you sold Dean then I apologize.

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby tvacc » Sat 05.10.2019, 04:23

You had better change to DeLorean if you want to meet me at LOG 39. Tune up that Flux Capacitor as LOG 39 was about 7 or 8 weeks ago.
I don't know which M100 you have and if you are having issues with it, and it is the car I sold to Dean, then I am sorry even if it was not my fault nor did I know.
The problem with most of us Lotus Owners is that we get used to the small things (and sometimes large things) that befall Lotus cars as they age. We tend to look past them and just drive the cars, saying "Ill fix that tomorrow"
I know I do. I have an M100 that I am just getting ready to sell. I drive it knowing full well that the brakes are a little bit spongy because I did not bleed the big brake kit all the way. yeah...I will fix that tomorrow.
And the sensor that sits in the thermostat housing that turns on the radiator fans....I replaced it with one I bought off of Amazon...same part number...but it just does not work all time. What is strange is that if I pull the stock Lotus one out of my friends M100, everything works fine...same part number and I have returned it for a new one twice. But since I can turn on the AC to get the fans to run if I see the temp rising....yeah I will fix it tomorrow.

The M100 is just such a "GM" car that it did not age well. Much like the original Elan, it needs pretty constant tinkering. The only reason I am going to sell it is that I want to drive it every day as my daily driver but it is insured by Hagerty so i cannot. If I buy a Honda S2000, I can insure it with my Allstate policy that will not take the Lotus, any Lotus. Then I can drive a sports car or the S2000 every day.

if anyone is interested in a Silver M100 with the big brake kit, 50K miles, timing belt and water pump done last year, and a few little problems...$13K or best offer, let me know. Car is in Buffalo NY.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sat 05.10.2019, 12:10

tvacc wrote:The M100 is just such a "GM" car that it did not age well

I just cannot believe that statement :?

The M100 has aged exceptionally well and for a 30 year old car still holds its own against the current sports car crop. Well, all my 3 have anyway and have been free of any major problems. They still draw admiring glances wherever they go and also win awards at various car shows
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby steve matthews » Sat 05.10.2019, 12:32

steve matthews wrote:I agree with diving it on a regular basis to keep it up to snuff. This is my low mileage M100. It had been sitting for 2 years, since LOG 36. I used the LOG trip as a shakedown for a one month trip to the west coast. That was cut short in Illinois due to a head gasket failure.

Since my purchase of it 3 years ago it has received: windshield, muffler, belts, hoses, water pump, belt tensioner, battery, 2 window lifts, 2 headlight lifts, fuzzy weather striping, window scrapers, floor mats, door escutcheons, tires, wheels, front brake pads (the good kind Padget), brake fluid flush, radiator flush and shifter cables. Maybe a bit more.

Hope to see you at LOG 39 in Massachusetts. I want to take my 1963 Elite and show it off. It should be pretty much finished by then. It may not have a repaint by then. I'm receiving estimates in the $15-25K range.

If this was not the M-100 you sold Dean then I apologize.

Steve

This was one of Deans old posts and i should have stated that. If you can't vouch for certain vehicle maybe you shouldn't sell it. This makes you look like a used car salesman not a Lotus Enthusiast. Enough said BUYER BEWARE.
steve matthews
God

Postby tvacc » Sat 05.10.2019, 15:27

Listen all.
I am tired of someone commenting on a car deal they know nothing about. You have no idea what was said when he car was sold, how the deal went down.

I stand by my Lotus reputation of 40 years.

Now to the other post as to my comment that the M100 did not age well due to GM's involvement. The brakes on the car are horrible. They are right from the GM parts bin. ASTRA and "W" body. The paint is certainly something I would not write home about but i dont know whose fault that is. The interior pieces certainly could have used better material. The steering wheel is terrible in my opinion. The headlight motors are right out of Fiero. There are lots of of GM's cost cutting attributes on the car. This is nothing about looks. The car has great lines and that has certainly held up great. The motor was and still is wonderful. I love the M100 and I have owned one pretty consistently since 1999. It is the most expensive car, by far, that Lotus ever produced and lots of the design elements ended up going into other GM cars whose development was written off to Lotus which is why the car was so expensive to build. GM's hand again. That was the basis for my comment and I apologize to the M100 if I offended it and anyone else.

As to the car I am selling now for Ron. It is a well known car. I have loads of receipts here from Dave for the car that anyone can have a look at. I have been perfectly upfront on the car and I take great offense that someone should say buyer beware when dealing with me. If someone wants to comment on the car that knows it better, feel free to do so. if I am telling an untruth about the car, lets get it out in the open. True information is always a good thing.

If you are interested in the car, take a trip down to Florida and look at it. There is nothing being hidden here.

Edit, rereading my post, now that I am a little more awake.....I have helped more than 100 people, actually probably more than that, buy and sell their Lotus. I have done this for not only people in the USA, but all over North America, Europe and Australia. I have never been accused of misrepresenting a car. I invite others to comment if I have helped you buy or sell a car. As far as the LOONYs go, sometimes on a Sunday morning breakfast, I look out at the Lotus cars in the parking lot and I have had some sort of hand in getting most of those cars to their owners. So if I seem to be a bit touchy on the subject, I am. I honestly know of no one else that is not a dealer who has helped more people with their Lotus cars than me. Sorry to be self-patting-myself-on-the-back but it is just true. There is no one that bleeds yellow and green more than I do, except Arnie Johnson.
tvacc
Tinkerer

Return to North America Elans - For Sale