New car lift

Discuss items to help maintain, repair, beautify, or use on your beloved Elan here

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

New car lift

Postby HJ2 » Wed 06.09.2017, 09:33

I took the plunge and ordered this lift!
Cant't wait to start improving the Elan again :burnout:

https://www.toolmania.nl/nl/tm-volautom ... h-30t.html
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Re: New car lift

Postby CalElan » Wed 06.09.2017, 20:41

nice!
CalElan
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Wed 06.09.2017, 22:13

Brilliant! You won't regret it. I installed one of these recessed scissor lifts when I built my garage, and it gets quite well used.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.07.2018, 18:47

Henk-Jan,
How are you getting on with your scissor lift?
I am awaiting planning permission for my new garage/workshop, and want to get similar.... I'm looking at this one. Is there enough clearence to drive the Elan over/on to it?

Rusty,
I have also been looking at the built-into-the-floor ones (as it won't be much extra effort whilst it's all being built), but like the 'portability' of the one I linked to so I can use it without having to shift cars arround.
The garage will be 7m x 6.5m, so I could have it built in - but if I want to use it on the elan and the Triumph is in the way, it will be more awkward......

.... decisions, decisions

If only there were enough head room for a 4-post lift it would be easier :lol:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 05.08.2018, 15:58

dapinky wrote:Henk-Jan,
How are you getting on with your scissor lift?
I am awaiting planning permission for my new garage/workshop, and want to get similar.... I'm looking at this one. Is there enough clearence to drive the Elan over/on to it?

Rusty,
I have also been looking at the built-into-the-floor ones (as it won't be much extra effort whilst it's all being built), but like the 'portability' of the one I linked to so I can use it without having to shift cars arround.
The garage will be 7m x 6.5m, so I could have it built in - but if I want to use it on the elan and the Triumph is in the way, it will be more awkward......

.... decisions, decisions

If only there were enough head room for a 4-post lift it would be easier :lol:

Dave.
can you give me an update when your planning permission business is approved or refused ?
im considering taking the same route to sort myself a garage. so, listening to someone else's experience will be valuable.

I had a read in the gov sites and everything is too foggy. but it gives me the impression that im likely to get approval for the 2 story extention id like to make to my house (double garage in bottom floor and an extra bedroom or 2 in the upper floor)
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 05.08.2018, 16:41

Joao,

Having read everything I could find before we actually bought the house, I then started again having moved.... they changed all the rules and Wales is now slightly different than England - but not in any ways that will make a difference.

The first thing to establish is if you actually need planning permission - 'Permitted Development' no longer exists here (or not in a way that benefited me), but it may do in your area - - but that doesn't matter as the project you describe possibly exceeds that anyway (but maybe not).....

I will let you know in due course, but it is all going swimmingly at the moment. Nowt will happen until after the end of next week as that is the cut-off time for 'consultations' - after that, it's just a decision to be made by the planning officer (who visited and can see no problems).

It isn't a quick process, and there are many hoops to jump through, but it isn't difficult if you approach it all logically (and even better if you can do the drawings yourself).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 27.11.2018, 22:14

HJ2 wrote:I took the plunge and ordered this lift!
Cant't wait to start improving the Elan again :burnout:

https://www.toolmania.nl/nl/tm-volautom ... h-30t.html

So HJ2, How are you getting on with your lift?

I've been looking at these and also a more traditional lift like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POST-LIFT- ... :rk:3:pf:0
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby dolmerob » Tue 11.12.2018, 06:43

A 2-post lift is great for doing some maintenance and repairs. For storage, consider a 4-post.
dolmerob

Postby HJ2 » Tue 11.12.2018, 09:00

If I had the height and Space I would have bought a 2 post. Cheaper and more flexible.
However, I can do pretty much everything with my lift and it is not in the way when lowered. I can also work on the exhaust and stuff, which is great!

So one happy camper and I definitely can recommend it. Good value for money as well, but still an investment nonetheless...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Giniw » Tue 11.12.2018, 12:52

Personally I much prefer a four posts lift:
- much more secure as the car is on its wheels
- you can do the wheels alignment on it
- of course it's less convenient when you need to remove the wheels but it's not that often that you need to remove them, and there is often an auxiliary jack on the lift itself, plus there are sometimes two auxiliary lift on the ramps themselves which is the best of the two worlds as you can put the four wheels in the air when you really need it, and still be quite secure.
Obviously it's quite expensive when new, but if you are lucky you can find one from the 80s for an acceptable price =)

(obviously it's the bulkiest option, so it's not for everyone)
Giniw
God

Postby NewLogik » Sun 12.05.2019, 18:39

Giniw wrote:Personally I much prefer a four posts lift:
- much more secure as the car is on its wheels
- you can do the wheels alignment on it
- of course it's less convenient when you need to remove the wheels but it's not that often that you need to remove them, and there is often an auxiliary jack on the lift itself, plus there are sometimes two auxiliary lift on the ramps themselves which is the best of the two worlds as you can put the four wheels in the air when you really need it, and still be quite secure.
Obviously it's quite expensive when new, but if you are lucky you can find one from the 80s for an acceptable price =)

(obviously it's the bulkiest option, so it's not for everyone)

It really depends on the kind of work you're actualy planning on doing on cars. I really do prefer 2 posts lift and this is why I own one myself, however yes 4 posts are good and I did work on different model, but for what I do and to so many different cars, it wouldn't be that good for me and it way more easy to get things out when you do major work on a 2 posts vs 4 posts.

Scissor lift is quite good for body work and maintenance work. It also save on space requirement.

That said, every style of lifts have Pos & Cons.

But...

Once you got yourself working on a lift.... You don't want to look back at not having one ;)
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sun 12.05.2019, 22:43

NewLogik wrote: Once you got yourself working on a lift.... You don't want to look back at not having one ;)

So true! The thought of getting out the trolley jack now appalls me.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Mon 13.05.2019, 13:21

:agree: :-D
Giniw
God

Return to Tools