My First Trackday!

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

My First Trackday!

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.07.2007, 21:12

Well, the local Lotus dealer sponsored a track day for all his Lotus customers (and a few others) this past weekend and I decided to take the plunge! It was quite an experience for someone like me who's never been on a track before. This track was actually ideal for a Lotus being reasonable short, plenty of turns and short straights. I started sweating 4 days before the actual date.

I'll post some pics when I get them off the camera but the day was dominated by Elises (14) with 2 Exiges, 2, Caterhams, 1 V8 Esprit and single, solitary m100 looking pretty darn good in white. Also on the track were 2 Ariel Atoms and 2 Ferraris plus a smattering of other vehicles. Go figure.

When they were breaking us up into groups of 8 the prime differentiator was track experience. When they asked me how much experience I had I asked if Xbox experience counted.............apparently it doesn't. Who knew. My group of 8 included the Esprit (chipped, brakes, exhaust, etc.), 4 Elises, 1 Ferrari and 1 Honda Civic that wasn't even close to stock anymore. We were all track novices.

I have to say that I think the Elan held up pretty well. The combinaiton of Alan's chip, the new exhaust and Wilwood brakes were fabulous. While its was certainly not a race, I figure I was running 5th. The Esprit had a tough time in the corners and even with its power, it couldn't get away in the short straights. I was on his ass all day until they started to let us pass. Never saw him again after that. The Ferrari was much the same - only looking much better. I was faster than 1 Elise which I chalk up to the driver being a bit nervous. The other Elises were out cornering me easily but I was surprised to see that my Elan could keep up with them on the straights quite well and I pulled out further ahead of the Elises on many occassions coiming out of the corners.........until we got to the next corner :roll: I had to wave a few past. That damn Civic was as hot as the Elise though. Quite a bit of work in that car.

I learned a lot that day. I took the time to read a link that Brian posted some time ago about the Physics of Racing. Excellent read. While I learned the theory of balancing and unbalancing the car, hitting the apex, slow in, fast out, etc. it really falls into place when you feel it on the track. I only had the back end get loose once when I braked in the turn instead of ahead of it. Leson learned - good thing it stayed on the track.

I think I'll try this again some day but not too often. I enjoy the normal, every day drive too :-D Although, on the way home, 100 kmph never felt so slow :lol:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby Dico » Mon 23.07.2007, 21:46

Good stuff :P
I've only ever been a passenger on track, but even thats informative. Hope to have a go myself some day soon. I have to admit though, I would be absolutely gutted if I were to stuff it. The insurance just wouldn't cover the work thats gone into it.
I've done the Ring but that was more like a sunday drive, 12 1/2 minutes :lol:

Bring on the pics!
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
User avatar
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Mon 01.12.2003, 09:45
Location: Moderator Manchester

Postby Monty » Tue 24.07.2007, 00:08

Well done :smt023

:agree: with Dico, before i started and did some pax rides and was a big help even thought it was in and Exige and Elise, it gave u an insight in speeds and lines.

Hey Dico, there`s alot of people who wouldn`t take there pride & joy to the Ring so at least u`ve been there and done it :wink: but u could of done more then one lap LMAO :wink:


Look forward to the pic`s
Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds


Return to Circuits & Track Days

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests