Page 1 of 2

Just done LoT Snetterton Track Day

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 14:27
by dans
Had a great day last Friday at Snetterton with LoT.
Did a 100 miles on the track, not a lot of other people there so never had to wait to go out.
I was the only Elan there, plenty Exige, Elise, couple of VX220, Caterham, Locost, 911, Subaru and a Leon!

Car went really well, managed to improve my driving some as well, still a way to go though! Few fluids leaking but hopefully nothing too serious.
Everyone who rode passenger or drove the car was very impressed with the Wilwoods.

Got some video but nothing to exciting.

Can't wait to do it again asap!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 16:15
by Dico
Good man. By fluids do you mean coolant overflowing from the header tank? This is pretty normal when the Elans been under boost for prolonged periods.
No spins then? Monty always manages at least one :lol:

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 18:41
by chris.t
damn damn and double damn, i was up that way on friday could have popped over easy.

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 19:18
by dans
Dico wrote:Good man. By fluids do you mean coolant overflowing from the header tank? This is pretty normal when the Elans been under boost for prolonged periods.

Yes, I do!! Thats interesting to hear, any theoryson why?
The coolant temp wandered around about +-1/8 around 1/4 on the gauge (if that makes sense!). But at one point started went above 1/2 so I backed off and it started coming down pretty quickly, back in the pits and there was steam coming from the header cap. After if had cooled I topped it off with about 1/2 a pint of water.

Dico wrote:No spins then? Monty always manages at least one :lol:

Yes.... i had one spin! :oops: At least I can say I was trying! About 1/2 hour from the end of the day I got a bit carried away on the sharp right hander at the top of the circuit..... Good fun though!!! :twisted: Decided that might be a good time to call it a day!

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 19:41
by chris.t
I don't think thats right Dans, would do a sniffer test if i was you.

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 20:32
by Monty
chris.t wrote:I don't think thats right Dans, would do a sniffer test if i was you.


:agree:

Thats what happened to me when my head gasket went :cry:

But good doo`s on getting out on track :smt023 would like to visit Snet one day but it`s a darn long way for me :roll:

Lets see the vids :-D

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 21:06
by Dico
Both mine and Jimp's spat fluid out from the header tank after a lap of the Ring.
Mine (and others) seems to overflow if the level is at the 'level' mark, but seems to settle and remain at around a 1/4 full. Yours too monty iirc? Seem to remember thats why you keep your level low???
Maybe it was this excess just flowing out?

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 21:14
by Dave Eds
mine did same on Jurby track session on IOM trip :roll:

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 21:25
by Monty
Dico wrote:Both mine and Jimp's spat fluid out from the header tank after a lap of the Ring.
Mine (and others) seems to overflow if the level is at the 'level' mark, but seems to settle and remain at around a 1/4 full. Yours too monty iirc? Seem to remember thats why you keep your level low???
Maybe it was this excess just flowing out?


Thats cause my head gasket was on it`s way out and Jim had to replace his head gasket :roll:

There`ll be many members whos gasket is on the way out but won`t realise it, once your out on track thats when things start to show :shock:

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 21:45
by Dico
Blimey, looks like I had better order a head gasket then :smt035

PostPosted: Mon 10.03.2008, 22:58
by GeoffSmith
Dico wrote:Blimey, looks like I had better order a head gasket then :smt035

Don't worry. It should last another 100 miles or 5 years, whichever comes sooner. :-D

PostPosted: Tue 11.03.2008, 20:03
by dans
chris.t wrote:I don't think thats right Dans, would do a sniffer test if i was you.


That was my thought when I saw it :(
Trying to find a kit now....

PostPosted: Tue 11.03.2008, 20:05
by dans
Haven't sorted the vid yet, but heres a pic someone got of me.

Was v. wet early on my sun soon came out and it was perfect conditions

Image

PostPosted: Tue 11.03.2008, 23:27
by chris.t
I heard that there were a couple of 2 11's doing the business there?

PostPosted: Wed 12.03.2008, 00:16
by Monty
chris.t wrote:I heard that there were a couple of 2 11's doing the business there?


Should see a few at Donny as well, some of the LoT will be racing them in this years elise trophy

Dans,
Did you get plenty of understeer in the rain :lol:

PostPosted: Wed 12.03.2008, 09:55
by dans
Those 211's appear behind VERY VERY quickly!!!!! Insanely fast! :twisted:

Yep plenty of understeer, but as you can see from the picture, whilst it was wet I drove like a grandad, until I went out woth the instructor and he shouted at me until I kept accelerating until he said so...... scared the beejesus out of me!!! :shock: Good fun, and very helpful though!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri 14.03.2008, 13:52
by Dico
dans, keep us updated please :-)

PostPosted: Mon 17.03.2008, 12:58
by dans
Dico wrote:dans, keep us updated please :-)


Eh..??? You mean on the state of the head gasket? Or something else ?

Not driving the car at the moment in case there is a problem, then waiting for pay day to go and buy a sniffer test.

Also planning to borrow this jobba of a mate:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gunsons-Hi-Gauge- ... dZViewItem

Some mor useful info here:
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/comp.htm

Cheers,
Dan

PostPosted: Mon 17.03.2008, 13:33
by rip
dans wrote:
Not driving the car at the moment in case there is a problem, then waiting for pay day to go and buy a sniffer test.

Sniff it (hence "sniffer" test :lol:). If your coolant smells of charge & exhaust fumes, then it is likely that your head gasket has failed.

PostPosted: Mon 17.03.2008, 13:48
by Dico
dans wrote:
Dico wrote:dans, keep us updated please :-)


Eh..??? You mean on the state of the head gasket? Or something else ?



Something else? :? Ugh??? Credit card details :P

The head gasket. If indeed the head gasket has failed. :-)