Page 1 of 1

Now THAT'S a track day!

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 00:49
by Elanlover
So, for Christmas I was fortunate enough to be rewarded for all the housework, grounds keeping, cleaning, etc. that I sometimes do around the house with a full day of driving a brand new, 2008 Van Diemen Formula car at the Bridgestone Racing Academy. All I can say is that there IS A GOD! :-D Oh, and a loving partner too :bowdown:

I'll post as many pics as people show interest in (we've got over 50, some videos AND the professional photographer will be sending a bunch along on CD too). This was as much fun as I can remember having in a very looong time. Of course, I had plenty of fun after we got home too :wink:

Let's start with some pics of the car.

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 00:58
by Elanlover
Ok, now we've had a woefully short "training" class on taking corners, driving the line, blah, blah by the "Chief Instructor" who was perhaps half my age. For what it cost I half expected Mario Andretti to be making a guest appearance. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 01:29
by Elanlover
Ok, so we're off! Here's some good shots of the car (and me) on the track. Sadly, we had one casuality on the track this day as the gruesome pic below will attest too.

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 01:55
by Elanlover
One of the great things about this day is that we had a brief but heavy rain. So, we got to take a turn on a wet track and learn a thing or two about the difference between the "dry line" and the "wet line". Well, most of us did. In my group of 7 cars 4 people spun out - one guy twice. Not me though :-D The track dried up nicely right after so we had one last kick at the can on a dry track.

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 01:59
by F1 LOTUS
I'm sure that's not the only bug you caught :D
Thanks for sharing, looks like too much fun. When you going to try an F1 car then?

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 02:06
by Elanlover
Brian, I was absolutely giddy. It was an incredible rush. There's nothing like the feeling of having you're head snapped back - in 5th gear! These things were incredible. I've never felt that much torque in a car before and I was scared to death the first few laps. You know a car's got power to spare when your foot moves a bit because you just hit a bump and you suddenly need to upshift!

Its addictive all right.

PostPosted: Mon 23.06.2008, 09:54
by Foo
Brilliant pics :lol:

PostPosted: Thu 26.06.2008, 20:20
by Nige
It really is a blast, I've driven Formula Ford, Formula Palmer Audi and a few years ago for my 40th along with some old school mates F1, a 1994 Larousse (ex Eric Comas) to be precise. Estimate was we were hitting about 175MPH on the long back straight at Lurcy Levis (Danielson) in France. The circuit is south of Magny Cours (where we stayed) and is used as a test track.

PostPosted: Thu 26.06.2008, 21:40
by F1 LOTUS
Nice one Nige 8)

PostPosted: Thu 26.06.2008, 21:51
by Elanlover
Very cool Nige. :smt023 I don't think I got much past about 120 or so on the back straight but when you sit that low to the ground it feels like warp speed.

PostPosted: Fri 27.06.2008, 09:09
by Nige
It was all very French, without any of the nanny health and safety stuff that pervades all we do in the UK these days. We had a detailed lecture on the importance of weight transfer and how to manage it through techniques such as trail braking (to keep the nose in). We were then driven around the circuit in a minibus without seats by one of the pro drivers to show where it went left and right and some idea of lines, this was the most dangerous part as he was quite quick the minibus rolled (leaned) heavily and we had to hang on. Then it was straight into the F1 car, circuit had been wet the previous day was damp to dry for us but the car stayed on inters (wets) as you can see, a reasonably high downforce setting, carbon/carbon brakes, traction control, sequential paddle shift and a 500BHP Ford HB V8 with no artificially low rev limit (tacho didn't read below about 7000RPM, as one of our wider group was told when he came in to complain it wasn't working). 9 laps and that was it, just thinking what to do for my 50th.

PostPosted: Sat 09.08.2008, 23:43
by Elanlover
I've received the [hotographer's pictures in CD now and I think I'll post a few. Not because you need to see more pics of me but because he's done a pretty fine job of capturing some great shots. Guess there's a reason why he's the professional photographer and I'm not :roll:

Here's some of the car.

PostPosted: Sat 09.08.2008, 23:48
by Elanlover
Here's some good lapping shots.

PostPosted: Sun 10.08.2008, 00:06
by Elanlover
Ok, last few pics here.

PostPosted: Sun 10.08.2008, 14:57
by GeoffSmith
HELLO IM A BRAIN LESS CHIMP :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun 10.08.2008, 22:01
by Jackonicko
The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......

and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...

Doh!

PostPosted: Sun 10.08.2008, 22:54
by GeoffSmith
Elanlover wrote:Ok, I'll buy the first glass at Hethel for him who correctly identifies me.


:beer:

Image

Easy! :-D

PostPosted: Mon 11.08.2008, 00:37
by Elanlover
Jackonicko wrote:The one with the duct tape, orangey sleeves and helmet under arm ......

and all the other visual clues from earlier pics...

Doh!


Damn! Shoulda' thought of that. Oh well, how much can a glass of water cost in jolly old England?

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon 11.08.2008, 00:56
by Jackonicko
Special water......

PostPosted: Mon 11.08.2008, 03:19
by Elanlover
Jackonicko wrote:Special water......


:lol: A glass of special water it is then!