Okay, let's get this thing started...
So I pondered introducing myself in the intro section, but I feel that considering I have some specific reasons for owning my M100, I would start here.
Quick background: I live in MD, USA and picked up my Elan about 2 months ago. The car is pretty cherry and has been a blast to drive. I bought the car looking for an open-top car to autocross. I have been racing for about 5 years in my BMW and was ready to step into something a little more nimble. I had my heard set on a turbo Esprit, but came across the M100 with an incredible pedigree and couldn't pass it up.
The good thing is, the previous owner added Wilwood brakes and Gaz adjustable shocks to a rebuilt suspension with additional ride height adjustment. Other than that, the car is relatively stock.
So I have raced the car at two events now...won my class 3 of 4 days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOs5fHjzVw4
Here's a video of my fastest run at the last event. I was significantly faster this past weekend but I don't have the videos uploaded yet.
So here's where I need your help. There are a few modifications I need to make to the car to take it to the next level. Tires are a given, but a set of wheels and slicks are easy to come by. Body roll is horrid in these cars, rather than shoot directly to stiffer springs is there a set of sway bars out there? The rear is pretty small and the front doesn't seem to cut it...perhaps hollow? Are there any poly bushings available or do I need to have those made? Lastly, any of you running the everest chip set up have anything to say as far as success stories? Oh, and who do I have to sell my soul to for a short-shift kit?
I know that's a ton and a horrid way to introduce myself, but I have 3 weeks off until the next event and this car has the potential to be a force in my autocross series.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick - USA
Quick background: I live in MD, USA and picked up my Elan about 2 months ago. The car is pretty cherry and has been a blast to drive. I bought the car looking for an open-top car to autocross. I have been racing for about 5 years in my BMW and was ready to step into something a little more nimble. I had my heard set on a turbo Esprit, but came across the M100 with an incredible pedigree and couldn't pass it up.
The good thing is, the previous owner added Wilwood brakes and Gaz adjustable shocks to a rebuilt suspension with additional ride height adjustment. Other than that, the car is relatively stock.
So I have raced the car at two events now...won my class 3 of 4 days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOs5fHjzVw4
Here's a video of my fastest run at the last event. I was significantly faster this past weekend but I don't have the videos uploaded yet.
So here's where I need your help. There are a few modifications I need to make to the car to take it to the next level. Tires are a given, but a set of wheels and slicks are easy to come by. Body roll is horrid in these cars, rather than shoot directly to stiffer springs is there a set of sway bars out there? The rear is pretty small and the front doesn't seem to cut it...perhaps hollow? Are there any poly bushings available or do I need to have those made? Lastly, any of you running the everest chip set up have anything to say as far as success stories? Oh, and who do I have to sell my soul to for a short-shift kit?
I know that's a ton and a horrid way to introduce myself, but I have 3 weeks off until the next event and this car has the potential to be a force in my autocross series.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick - USA