Cadwell Park 7th July

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Cadwell Park 7th July

Postby texas2201 » Sun 08.07.2012, 16:15

Took me over 6 hours to get there on Friday, filled the Lotus and jerry can on the way up - packed the jerry can and bits back in the boot went and paid and set off. Forgot the Lotus petrol cap and flap - AGAIN....... Drove through about an hour of torrential rain until someone beeped me and I pulled into some services to have a check. Managed to get a temporary cap which fitted, so that stopped me loosing any more fuel.

Second problem was - I got to Cadwell and started to unload the car and it conked out and would not start - after about four hours of Andy, Nige and Chris helping - Nige towed me up and down the track road a few times - no go. we checked the spar, injectors and the inertia cut off switch - all good.

Andy took the fuel lead off to check we had petrol - we did - so we put it together - we then sprayed wd40 into the intake and the engine started but would not idle. It was very late so we left it until the morning.

I jump started it as the battery was very low from all the attempted starts - got it going but it was not right. it would only keep running if you gave it some revs. After about 15 minutes running like this it cleared and was running fine.

we reckon that some rainwater had got in through the open petrol neck and "contaminated" the fuel! surprised it cleared so well - as the fuel filter is in the middle of the car under the Roll Bar! which will need to come out if I need to change it yikes

Did some cracking laps - but on the 3rd session I noticed the water temp creeping up on track, it doesn't do this normally. So came in and opened the bonnet - Expansion tank had split around the middle join - this is the foourth one I have changed..... I will need to get an alloy one made up.

A mate turned up and suggested we try some liquid metal - to see if we could cure it. It worked but then it leaked from another part of the join - so we sealed a lot more of the join. We let it go off and then refitted it - hurray it had worked - so I took him out for a session but it started to miss and flutter- sounded like a Subaru.

It expired again and so I gave up - day over :-( but I had managed to get over 30 laps in and they were great.

It was also good to meet all the Northloopers - have a few drinks round the Chimneria and have a good chinwag.

one of the guys kept repeating the same joke about me reducing the price of the Audi - no way it is cheap as it is :-)

Only managed an ave mpg of 22 this trip - probably to do with the narrow roads and hills leading to Cadwell - Only took me 4 hours to get home and that inc a stop for a snooze, fill up with fuel, coffee and a biccy and go to the loo - about 40 mins in total - so well pleased.
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Re: Cadwell Park 7th July

Postby Monty » Sun 08.07.2012, 23:46

Glad you managed to get some laps in, only done cadwell once many years ago and loved it, great circuit.

Btw, i`d do another sniff test to be sure it`s not `you no what` and get an O2 sensor fitted mine does well over 30mpg :wink:
Monty
Chunder King!

Re: Cadwell Park 7th July

Postby texas2201 » Sun 08.07.2012, 23:48

did a sniff test a few months ago - was OK - and it has an O2 sensor fitted and running closed loop
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Return to Circuits & Track Days