Online racing

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Online racing

Postby chris.t » Sat 17.01.2015, 22:10

I'm currently very involved in online racing using a software package called Assetto Corsa. This is not me driving but i thought I would post a link of someone who can drive properly on this software. The s/w has got very highly praised reviews. The physics of the simulation is second to none and the tracks that come with the sim have all been laser scanned for accuracy. If you ever get the chance to have a go, DON'T, you'll be hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQHcGOGjd4
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Re: Online racing

Postby Ian T » Thu 22.01.2015, 23:27

Very impressive - beats the pants off Forza that I've been playing with for a couple of months now.

Only problem with Forza is that it's a bit hit and miss whether the other drivers are simply 'position merchants' or are interested in a clean and fair race. Some evenings I get a really clean racing group and it's a lot of fun.

Dang, I want that setup now... ;)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby chris.t » Fri 23.01.2015, 08:45

There's about 15 of us that race regularly. All good racers and somevarec record holders. All the results are then published on the web site. The race setups I'm on are simracing.org. UK and core racing.com.

An example of the results can be found here

http://simresults.net/141109-z7s?logo=h ... p_points=0

Click on the title to access lap times etc
chris.t
God

Postby Steve A » Fri 23.01.2015, 15:53

8) Hmmmmm

Apart from software what else do you need ?

Steering wheel, pedals ?
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby chris.t » Fri 23.01.2015, 17:05

I'm using a G27 logitech wheel, pedals and stick shift. If you keep an eye on the PC world website there often on sale for less than £150. You will then need a pc http://www.assettocorsa.net/hw-sw-requirements/ and a TV/Monitor, I have a 42" flat screen HD. A £40 5.1 surround sound system is good. All this stuff you can find relatively cheaply 2nd hand on ebay. Brand new you're looking at just shy of £1k. Also you've probably already got some of the stuff. S/W is or was £30.

Now the 2 things I can't advise you on, where you're going to set it up and how you're going to explain to the wife that you're not going to be seeing her a lot.

I must have done over 100 hours since i started over 2.5 years ago, so it does get addictive, you have been warned!
chris.t
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 24.01.2015, 01:20

chris.t wrote:I'm currently very involved in online racing using a software package called Assetto Corsa. This is not me driving but i thought I would post a link of someone who can drive properly on this software. The s/w has got very highly praised reviews. The physics of the simulation is second to none and the tracks that come with the sim have all been laser scanned for accuracy. If you ever get the chance to have a go, DON'T, you'll be hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQHcGOGjd4

I am a great GT fan, mostly because of the massive amount of different cars you play with and extencive modifications you can make, i have been looking into several PC car simulator games in the past few months since i have a Fanatec porche 911 wheel on the side every since the PS3 was stolen,

I had a look into that game and a few others but none had the range of vehicles to play with close to the GT series.
Currently looking forward to see what will come out with project C.A.R.S. there are some good reviews out there and a bit of a hipe for a while.

the only reason i didnt try the game was the fact it lacks cars, so ill stick to dirt 3 and waiting for a GT port on the pc :P
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby chris.t » Sat 24.01.2015, 11:47

There are more and more cars and tracks being developed, albeit some are conversions from rfactor, gtr2 etc. There is a pack on its way which will include 10 new cars and a laser scanned nordschlieffe.
chris.t
God

Return to Circuits & Track Days