Should have bought a lottery ticket

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Should have bought a lottery ticket

Postby Rambo » Thu 02.06.2016, 20:52

I bet Spud is glad he called off with man flu :shock: He might have also had a loose bowel movement if he'd been in the passenger seat :twisted:

Still, at least you and the car are OK Chris. Could've been a lot worse in heavy traffic. You avoided the barrier, spun and then avoided that fast car not long after the spin

Incidentally, I saw a few cars spin off at roughly the same point last Goodwood Revival so you're not the only one :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby chris.t » Thu 02.06.2016, 21:08

Mark I'm 1/2hour from Goodwood so if you come down again then make sure we arrange a meet.

ETA/ St Mary's is also where Stirling Moss ended his illustrious career.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 02.06.2016, 21:13

You're in an illustrious club then Chris :wink:

Be interesting to know how many others have had a a wobbly at St Marys over the last few decades
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 03.06.2016, 21:43

Wow, that was close! Pleased you missed the wall. Could have been nasty. Did you carry on or was that it for the day?
nicowalker1
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 04.06.2016, 00:09

chris.t wrote:St Mary's is also where Stirling Moss ended his illustrious career.

My Dad took me to Goodwood for that meeting and we were standing right at the end of the spectator area that stopped along Fordwater. Saw Moss get on the grass just after Fordwater (@ about 36 seconds on your video) and kept going straight as the track curved right so he hit the bank at almost 90°. He didn't actually get to the right hand bend before St Mary's. I seem to think that section of bank was much further away from the track in 1962 as he went across a lot of grass before he hit the bank at 90°. Strangely, he appeared to make no effort to correct it or slow down and somebody nearby said they thought his head was slumped down as if he'd passed out.

Graham Hill was leading in a BRM and Moss was a couple of laps down in a Lotus Climax after a pit stop and GH refers to it in his autobiography Life at the Limit (Page 93 & 94). Hill slowed for the right hander and Moss overtook him on the grass on the outside so Hill watched it happen too.

You may find this interesting ...www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/goodwood.html
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby chris.t » Sat 04.06.2016, 08:03

What a fantastic account, thanks for sharing! So it all happened before "no name" corner which is what the right hander before St Mary's is called. Him passing out would explain why he just kept going straight. In those days an impact like that was normally fatal, surviving it must have made him realise his own mortality.

@ Nico, the rule is, spin and in if your able at Goodwood, they have a little chat with you and then you're allowed to carry on. I checked the car over for any mechanical failure and then went out. The first couple of laps were spent looking out for anything unusual after which I carried on as usual. I was just more aware of grip levels.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 04.06.2016, 09:13

Interesting comments about Goodwood and the St Mary s bends from Doug Nye...

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/columnist ... -st-marys/

As mentioned earlier, I saw quite a few spinners at St Mary's and also quite a few spinners round about Lavant corner
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 04.06.2016, 11:47

chris.t wrote:What a fantastic account, thanks for sharing! So it all happened before "no name" corner which is what the right hander before St Mary's is called. Him passing out would explain why he just kept going straight. In those days an impact like that was normally fatal, surviving it must have made him realise his own mortality.

Big shame about Moss. He was always one of the quickest and good entertainment. Jim Clark was as quick but so smooth he didn't really look it. Amazing how many non-championship F1 races there were in those days too.
Not a lot of protection in those old cars ... this is a recent accident in an old'un - only a broken collar bone! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021GVfHJ_YE

As the signs say 'Motor Racing is Dangerous' .. :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Circuits & Track Days