Bullet Cam

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby chris.t » Fri 27.10.2006, 16:14

monty the thing is that if you want shots from the side of the car where the surface is not exactly flat then the the one sucker option might be risking it if it sticks at all. Can anyone post on pistonheads to see if they have had any experience of these mounts they can pass on?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby jimp357 » Fri 27.10.2006, 17:01

For what it's worth, I bought the suction mounts from DogCam (and the Lanc control, & incar power supply)

You can use 1,2 or all 3

All the footage I've done recently was using the suction mounts with the Cam.
Last edited by jimp357 on Fri 27.10.2006, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
VORSICHT! Die Nordschleife ist gefährlich.
jimp357
Fanatic

Postby Doug » Fri 27.10.2006, 17:10

at risk of clogging up a good thread:

sutures are about the caliber/thickness thread you would sew seats with

fluid pressure keeps the bleeding at bay

a truly healthy joint will have white cartilage and surrounding structures

:wink:
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby chris.t » Fri 27.10.2006, 17:39

jimp357 wrote:For what it's worth, I bought the suction mounts from DogCam (and the Lanc control, & incar power supply)

You can use 1,2 or all 3

All the footage I've done recently was using the suction mounts with the Cam.

can u check the link cos i'm getting

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
"
chris.t
God

Postby jimp357 » Fri 27.10.2006, 17:53

fixed...
jimp357
Fanatic

Postby chris.t » Fri 27.10.2006, 19:28

Now they look the chiens boules and at a reasonable price. Jim if i was to stick the camera in one of those and stick it to the side of the car do you think it would fall off and would it give a steady image ie the camera would not wobble on the mount?

Cheers Chris
chris.t
God

Postby jimp357 » Fri 27.10.2006, 20:46

OK. The footage on Bloody Humps was taken with my Bullet Cam stuck to the top of the wing mirror (you can see it in the photo of my car) for the forward stuff, and the rear spoiler for the rear facing stuff.

A friend borrowed the Cam and stuck it to the front wing of his Elise. Rock solid and really steady pictures.

I don't think it will be a problem.

As Tony said..... they're grrrrrrrrrrrreat
jimp357
Fanatic

Postby Monty » Mon 20.11.2006, 17:33

Monty wrote:Oregon Scientific have a new one coming out ATC 2000 look Here but over here it's going for £160 so did a search on the net and manage to find a site that does it for $99 and $35 to ship so i've gone and ordered one, let see if i get it before christmas :roll:

Next thing 2gb memory card and suction mount :roll:

Ok, i got the above Action cam from the USA for £73 that included the postage. The only thing is i got hit with the duty of £12.11, which i expected but there was also a Parcel Force Clearance fee of £13.50 whats that all about :evil: So i rang parcel force and said it was a charge that customs put on and to ring them :evil: Robbing B**tards. Any how still £60+ cheaper than here.

Also got a 2GB MD card of ebay for £18 and some rechargeable batterys, BTW it only takes 2 AA`s
+ got the suction mount number 2 from here £30 all in

The only thing is there`s no connection to u use a Suction mount :shock: so adapted one of the brackets which comes with it, which is for attaching to a bikes handle bars. See pic`s

Done a quick run with the cam over the weekend (See link below) and found the sound is crackley :roll: I just used Windows movie maker to edit but it does take time + on youtube u`r restricted to 10 mins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDP_6b4CLc

Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
action cam
Picture 001.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 16653 times
Picture 002.jpg
action cam
Picture 002.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 16653 times
Picture 004.jpg
action cam
Picture 004.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 16653 times
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby chris.t » Mon 20.11.2006, 18:37

Not bad monty, i think there must be a loose connection somewhere re the crackle. try setting it up on someone elses camcorder to track it down.

I'm going to get those suction cup thingies that Jim posted.

Have you got any ideas about filming. I'm going to do my best to do a bit of filming which is a bit more than the point it forward and press record. Don't get me wrong i know you are just playing around at the mo. When you get into the editing it takes so much time. I've found this music track called 'Lotos'. It's about 6.5 mins long and i 'm going to try and edit the footage i take to sync with the music. that should take up a couple of sunday afternoons :?

i'm going to try putting the bullet cam on the road and then drive over it - hopefully avoiding the cam :shock: and some ou of car shots. When you start doing this sort of thing you can see what a skilled job it is making a film. Anyway good luck with your filming - perhaps we can compare notes/footage (ooohhhh errrr missus) at dony next year!!
chris.t
God

Postby dans » Mon 20.11.2006, 18:43

Could be a loose connection or what I found on mine was the wind noise would just max the audio amps out. I attached some foam to my microphone ( ie. like the booms what you see on tele!! ) to try and muffle and soften the wind noise some. It worked a bit!

Dan
dans
Fanatic

Postby Doug » Mon 20.11.2006, 20:49

Monty,

looks good to me :smt023

I think I will get one for that price and ease of set-up and use.

Crackle is weird--do you get it with all vids or just this one or just with the uploaded one??

Should be way cool to get multiple angles and then edit/splice/soundtrack/etc

We'll have to make an editing thread/area to discuss as I will be having fun sticking it all around my Evo--sorry no Elan to film anymore :? . Even suction to the bonnet pointing at windscreen would be an interesting shot--or on the rear spoiler/wing looking forwards. . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Mon 20.11.2006, 21:37

It has a built in Mic, so might have a wire loose inside :?

Thats the 1st test i`ve done on the road, but IIRC when i 1st got it and had a mess about with it in the house i didn`t hear any crackling :?

Editing is a pain, u have to wait to upload it to the comp then to the software and then upload to a dedicated site ie YouTube.

Couple of questions to u editors

what software do you use and cost?
and whats the best sites to upload to?

The best thing about the movie maker is when u come to save the footage (once edited) to the comp you can save it to what ever size u want ie the above one i set to 40mb.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby dans » Mon 20.11.2006, 21:59

Used a few of the cheaper/ free ones.

MGI Video wave, rubbish crashes all the time

Pinnacle Studio - limited in some ways but ok and fairly simple, takes forever to generate the final file though

Sonic Foundry - Currently finding my way through it but looks pretty good with loads of toys to play with. maybe a bit more complicated than others

Windows Movie Maker - Prob the easist to use. Basic functionality but you can just get on with it.

I've always found editing takes an age. Got hours of amateur video sat around I've never done anything with cos I haven't had time!!!

DAn
dans
Fanatic

Postby Doug » Sun 17.12.2006, 18:25

Monty,

looking to get one now -- was that sound crackle only on that one video or with all the windy ones?

how are the mounts working out?

-D
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Sun 17.12.2006, 22:08

Doug wrote:Monty,

looking to get one now -- was that sound crackle only on that one video or with all the windy ones?

how are the mounts working out?

-D

Actually Dico and I did a small run today and it`s still crackles, not sure what is causing it :roll:

The suction mount seems great, but like i said above u will need to bodge the bracket (which is for bike handlebars) to fit the suction mount.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Doug » Tue 17.04.2007, 05:38

yo, Monty, I remember you or someone pointing out a place that sells your cam in the UK -- maybe you can get another one and swap it for your one with the bad mic - and then send back the bad one saying the mic is messed up :roll:

I want to get one but I am wary if they are all going to crackle?
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby chris.t » Tue 17.04.2007, 08:09

as it was a nice day yesterday i decided to try out my new bullet cam mount like the one jimp has bought (the 3 suckers). Mounted the camera on the hood stowage lid looking forward. Went to a nice bit of elan type road. Waited until the traffic had gone long enough to give me a clear run. Then went for it no holding back. Had the Road Angel mounted up front so actual speed could be recorded. Was really flying went round some great bends and thought this is going to look really good on the bullet cam. eventually got caught in traffic. I then looked round at the bullet cam which wasn't there :shock: Oh shittttt i thought i had better go back and look for it or the bits :cry: Stopped the car and found that the camera was down the back of the seat. Phewwwww. Ran the film back to see if i had captured the good bits to find that it had fallen off right at the beginning :? Well anyway felt thankful that the camera had fallen off forward rather than backward. To be fair i think it was user error. Each one of the suckers has got to be squarely planted. if one is at a slight angle it will not adhere for long and it will put strain on the remaining suckers. Anyways - lesson learnt i hope
chris.t
God

Postby Doug » Tue 17.04.2007, 09:37

:shock:

christ, you lucky man.

tie on a safety leash if you mount it in a place it could fall off of and get lost!
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Tue 17.04.2007, 11:02

Doug wrote:yo, Monty, I remember you or someone pointing out a place that sells your cam in the UK -- maybe you can get another one and swap it for your one with the bad mic - and then send back the bad one saying the mic is messed up :roll:

I want to get one but I am wary if they are all going to crackle?

Doug,

Did u ever get one off those cams? Did a search on the net and it looks like it`s a cheap Mic thats been fitted and people have been complaining on forums of muffled sound and with me using it for trackdays it`s the high revs that make it crackle :roll:

Lets hope they come out with a better version :twisted:
For the price u can get them for in the states its still a good buy.

Chris,

How lucky was that, NChase used the same type at Bedford but he also used electrical tape to keep it in place. Think i`d prefer the one i got as it got a lever for greater suction.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby theelanman » Tue 17.04.2007, 11:26

monty
is yours the ATC2000?.....
just looking at web site in the US ......theyre out of stock until the end of the month.....sounds like a 'mod' has gone on....anyway...theyre $78 now in the US but theyre still trying to flog em over here for £100+ so guess where Im gonna get mine from next month!!!!!
cheers
g
ps off topic.....need a chat about the head gasket.....Ive got mine but the discussion about the bits that need removing from the kmc ones has got me thinking I'll buy a propper lotus one anyway.....
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

PreviousNext

Return to Circuits & Track Days