Your trackday Video & Photo`s

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

Postby chris.t » Sat 27.01.2007, 19:36

Still got the sound problem then monty :( Tell me when you were cornering were you getting a lot of tyre squeal, couldn't quite make it out from the vid. Bet you're looking forward to a dry track :wink:
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Monty » Sat 27.01.2007, 20:03

kind of strange as some of the footage the sounds wasn`t to bad :? There was some tyre squeeling, only got few full laps on the cam (dodgey ebay batteries) and they were over 3mins a lap but felt like i was doing quite well:? In the rain i could feel the limit, but this time was different i even changed the tyre pressure for more grip to 24 psi and after a session out on track they increased by 5 psi :shock: Maybe it was just a combination of things, red flags, cars going off and then a warning in the afternoon saying they will start sending people home for losing control. Could do with bucket seats and harness so i feel at one with pinky and next time i`m going to stiffen the suspension up. Still had a great day :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby chris.t » Sat 27.01.2007, 20:12

Monty it is usual to increase the tyre prssure by 5-8 lbs over normal to stiffen up the side wall of the tyre.

I know what you mean about the seats though, the steering wheel is duel purpose a) to point the car in the right direction and b) to hang on to :?

Shame about the idiot driving shortening your track time :evil: Was it a LOT do? cos there weren't many Lotii from your vid.
chris.t
God

Postby Monty » Sat 27.01.2007, 23:19

chris.t wrote:Monty it is usual to increase the tyre prssure by 5-8 lbs over normal to stiffen up the side wall of the tyre.

I know what you mean about the seats though, the steering wheel is duel purpose a) to point the car in the right direction and b) to hang on to :?

Shame about the idiot driving shortening your track time :evil: Was it a LOT do? cos there weren't many Lotii from your vid.

Well i`m new to this but to me to get more grip when it`s damp slippery is to lower the pressure so u`ve got more tyre in contact with the black stuff :? Started with 28psi which is what i had on my 1st trackday, now if i increased that by 8 thats 36psi and that would increase to 41psi once the tyre heated up which to me is way to much and may get a possible blow out with the stress of cornering etc :shock: maybe should start another thread on tyres in this section :roll:

It was booked with LOT but it was an Easy Track event, LOT just got a good discount :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby chris.t » Sat 27.01.2007, 23:34

think about the situation in summer. you pump your tyres up when its 15 deg C . Next day its 30 deg c. do you go out and let your tyres down cos there is a 15 deg temp diff. Also how many laps do you do in a session, i do 8 max cos thats how much i want to put the car thru and me.

I thought i could hear tyre sqealing on your vid so that is why i questioned tyre pressures. it is a subject that is often debated but the conclusion is to increase tyre pressures. However i stand to be corrected cos i have only ever done dry track days.

At the end of the day it is a time for experiment, tyre pressures, damper settings etc. Its all about learning more about your car. I guess if you really get into this trackday lark Dico will have his artic stocked full of spare wheels/tyres etc when you next pull up to a track event :-D :-D :-D
chris.t
God

Postby Monty » Sun 28.01.2007, 21:16

TrackPhoto`s has the Oulton day on there site

www.trackphoto.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2416_7545_7573
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Sooty » Mon 29.01.2007, 00:43

chris.t wrote:think about the situation in summer. you pump your tyres up when its 15 deg C . Next day its 30 deg c. do you go out and let your tyres down cos there is a 15 deg temp diff.

The temp difference of the tyres between normal driving and track driving is likely to be more than 15 deg, tho, so you do need to compensate.

Monty, I'll be joining you soon, but I need you to help me fit a chip and brakes first.
I'm back :D
Sooty
Tinkerer

Postby Doug » Mon 29.01.2007, 05:48

Monty, nice vid -- but I think you got a duff microphone, dude!

still need to get me one of them cameras -- got low cash flow at the present.
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby chris.t » Mon 29.01.2007, 16:09

Sooty wrote:
chris.t wrote:think about the situation in summer. you pump your tyres up when its 15 deg C . Next day its 30 deg c. do you go out and let your tyres down cos there is a 15 deg temp diff.

The temp difference of the tyres between normal driving and track driving is likely to be more than 15 deg, tho, so you do need to compensate.

Monty, I'll be joining you soon, but I need you to help me fit a chip and brakes first.

the point i was trying to make was that the tyres will take that sort of temp variation or greater as you point out
chris.t
God

Postby Nige » Mon 29.01.2007, 22:03

The other reason for increasing the tyre pressures for track use (in addition to stiffening the sidewall and reducing the possibility of the tyre rolling off the rim) is to control the temperature increase. The softer a tyre is the faster the heat build up because the tyre is moving around a lot. 5-8 PSI above the road pressure is about right for a dry track, perhaps 2-5 for a wet track. I think i settled on 33 PSI front and 32 PSI rear at Castle Combe last year in very wet conditions.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Monty » Sun 04.03.2007, 19:18

Should of posted the Cadwell trackday (3.3.07) vids here :roll: anyways there here lotuselancentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8755

Here`s a couple of pic`s which one of the NORLOGers took

Monty
Chunder King!

Postby chris.t » Sun 04.03.2007, 20:11

see what you mean by narrow. by the end of the day did you learn all the turn in points, braking points etc??

Well done by the way
chris.t
God

Postby Monty » Mon 05.03.2007, 00:11

chris.t wrote:see what you mean by narrow. by the end of the day did you learn all the turn in points, braking points etc??

Well done by the way

Yes In a fashion, certain corners i could of gone faster and brake that bit later but u need 100% faith and is it worth the risk for those few extra seconds. Watched one of the elise vids from last year and did a lap in 1min 50secs media.putfile.com/Cadwell-16-August-2006-Elise-14984 my fastest on the vid was 2min 8secs might of been slightly quicker in the afternoon, so i was quite happy with that.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Doug » Mon 05.03.2007, 19:05

How did you manage to get the top down while at speed??!
Doug
LEC Founder

Tap dancing...

Postby F1 LOTUS » Wed 07.03.2007, 08:54

F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Gazza » Wed 07.03.2007, 18:37

Did you see Senna's feet, what was he playing at :shock:

I ask you, WHITE SOCKS :lol:
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby Monty » Tue 10.04.2007, 10:39

Even thou Pinky was ill at Bedford i still managed to get a bit of footage :roll:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRbBtWutElQ
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Doug » Tue 10.04.2007, 18:01

Monty wrote:Even thou Pinky was ill at Bedford i still managed to get a bit of footage :roll:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRbBtWutElQ

dude, my ears are bleedin from that cracklin' mic! you gotta get that thing fixed . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby chris.t » Tue 10.04.2007, 18:22

what a shame having hgf, the weather was great and the track looked good. Perhaps everyone will see what i mean when i say there is plenty of run off and be tempted to put their name down for bedford on the aug b/h.

I take it you didn't go out with an instructor. I did the last time i was there and found it beneficial. After the chicane shortly after joining the circuit he said to go flat out round the long right hander, a little way before the long straight, in 5th :? :? :?. i turned to him and said "you're having a laugh" but he was right the car went round like it was on rails. Hope the august b/h has as good weather and pinky is firing with a nice leak proof h/g :-D

cheers c
chris.t
God

Postby nchase » Tue 10.04.2007, 21:28

chris.t wrote:what a shame having hgf, the weather was great and the track looked good. Perhaps everyone will see what i mean when i say there is plenty of run off and be tempted to put their name down for bedford on the aug b/h.

I take it you didn't go out with an instructor. I did the last time i was there and found it beneficial. After the chicane shortly after joining the circuit he said to go flat out round the long right hander, a little way before the long straight, in 5th :? :? :?. i turned to him and said "you're having a laugh" but he was right the car went round like it was on rails. Hope the august b/h has as good weather and pinky is firing with a nice leak proof h/g :-D

cheers c

Yep that's a flat out but you have to come into it correctly.
nchase
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Circuits & Track Days