Racing/Bucket seats & fitment

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Racing/Bucket seats & fitment

Postby Monty » Tue 06.02.2007, 22:22

Don`t want to be spending to much and hoping to get a set of seats for around £200.

Was thinking of the Corbeau clubman 2004 seats which are smaller than u`r average racing seat but are not FIA approved. See pic below

But i`ve been looking on the net and like the look of the Cobra Monaco seats in black which are FIA approved. Looking at the spec there going to be a tight fit :? See pic below

I know DaveM has Momo RS GT seats fitted but i can`t find any spec on sizes so i can compare the other seats. (I`ll PM Dave for more imfo)

Dave is this the seat u fitted?
www.momoshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4209&products_id=1803150

Does anyone know if the stock runners on the stock seats are easy to remove? as Dico seems to rember one side of the seat can`t be removed :?

There`s a good write up by mickmick
lotuselancentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8824&highlight=
Last edited by Monty on Tue 06.02.2007, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Tue 06.02.2007, 22:45

Last edited by Monty on Tue 06.02.2007, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 06.02.2007, 22:46

Monty

Dico speaks from rear passage - I dismantled his old ones (with difficulty) but it can be done :lol:
Spud

'92 NM SE, '10 Evora NA now gone '90 Calypso SE now sold '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: Wadesmill, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Monty » Tue 06.02.2007, 22:52

Dave Eds wrote:Monty

Dico speaks from rear passage - I dismantled his old ones (with difficulty) but it can be done :lol:

Thanks Dave, he`s getting on a wee bit now lol
Thats good to know as intend to use the stock runners :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Doug » Tue 06.02.2007, 23:13

the runners come off with a few bolts -- I'm sure there's info on the dismantling in my seat warmers write-up.

i nice seat will make a big difference on the track -- I can tell you from experience cornering in the Evo in the Recaro seat is a world different than hoping you don't slide off the Elan's leather OE seat when cornering!
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Monty » Tue 06.02.2007, 23:21

Doug wrote:the runners come off with a few bolts -- I'm sure there's info on the dismantling in my seat warmers write-up.

i nice seat will make a big difference on the track -- I can tell you from experience cornering in the Evo in the Recaro seat is a world different than hoping you don't slide off the Elan's leather OE seat when cornering!

Thanks Doug,

The other thing is i can`t fit Harness until i change the seats and hope to get this done before i go to france in May when i`ll be doing 2 trackdays :-D. It`s just choosing the right seat. :roll:

I`m even thinking of removing the passenger seat and driving down to Deamon Tweaks (motorsport shop) to see if i can test fit a couple of seats but its not local and will do this as a last resort.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby dapinky » Wed 07.02.2007, 11:10

Monty,

The Cobra Monacos were the ones I went for in the Dolomite.

This was because they are (in no particular order) cheap(ish), FIA approved, comfortable, supportive, pretty to look at (that wasn't really a consideration at the time, but it helps!), and most important, my fat ar$e fits into it!!!!

I'm 17 stone of lard, and if i can get into one, most people should have no problem!
(Its actually a couple of cm wider than some others)

I would suggest that you try a few out in the showroom if you can (not necessarily at the place you eventually buy them from) and see how you like them.

I like a fairly 'upright' driving position in the Dolly, and these seats were good for that, whereas others seemed more 'laid back' (can be adjusted a bit with suitable spacers underneath).

PS - I got mine from Merlin Motorsports at Castle Combe racetrack - they do 'price match' and had them in stock (in the colour i wanted).

If you need it, i can take some dimentional measurements for you to see how they would fit in the elan.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Monty » Wed 07.02.2007, 12:58

Cheers Dave,

Like them myself and like u said there FIA approved. If i can get these to fit with no rubbing i`ll be going for these. I`m concered about the base rubbing against the center tunnel, the wings at shoulder height hitting the door and the height interfering with putting the roof up and down.
Don`t think there`s any motor place close to me to test fit, but could drive to Demon Tweakes as a last resort.

There`s dimensions on there site HERE look under motorsports tab it`s the Monaco one. I did a quick check and they look tight, but would appricate on u`r opinion on the fitting.

Manage to upload the dimensions
Attachments
Cobra Monaco dimensions.jpg
Cobra Monaco dimensions
Cobra Monaco dimensions.jpg (9.75 KiB) Viewed 17677 times
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dave M » Wed 07.02.2007, 14:31

http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/seatsizechart.html

Here's a link to the Momo sizes. Yes - the seat you have pictured first is the RS GT which I have. It's a nut squeezer for anyone with a waist over, say 34" - the side bolsters are fairly large for a "street" seat. But they really hold you in place on-track. With my harness on, I really don't move at all, which under heavy cornering or braking is a great feeling. FYI - These are MUCH more comfortable than the Momo Start which is race-oriented. The brackets weren't too hard to make, they just took lots of time for measurements and adjustments so I could clear the chassis tunnel, the door, and mainly the AE rollbar. At 6' I needed the seat as far back as I could get it. Height is no issue at all with the top.

Good luck with the hunt!
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

"Track Elan" Monaco White Elan / "Peely" Calypso Red Elan / 2007 Subaru Legacy GT-Cobb Tuned / 1993 Honda CBR600F2
Dave M
God

Postby Monty » Wed 07.02.2007, 14:56

Cheers Dave,

I`ve converted the measurements to MM and comparing Daves Momo seat to the Cobra Monaco.

Height
Momo 914.4mm
Cobra 870mm

Wing width at shoulder height
Momo 571.5mm
cobra 550mm

Wing height from base
Momo 609.6
Cobra 570mm

Base
Momo 508mm
Cobra 510mm

The Monaco seat is smaller than the Momo RS GT seat Dave has fitted, so in theory there should be no issue :?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby F1 LOTUS » Wed 07.02.2007, 21:08

Have you read about these devices?

DEVICE MEANS FASTER LAPS, CLAIMS COMPANY

CG-Lock says tests show drivers prefer it

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=15708
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Monty » Wed 07.02.2007, 21:20

Nigel, has one off those CG locks and i`ve heard from others that there good, but i manage to get a 4 point Sabelt Harness of Ebay for 17 squid :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Thu 08.02.2007, 12:33

Was going to go for Cloth type seats with vinyl patches as the full vinyl will make u`r back all sweaty and start sliding about. But there`s someone on ebay selling both types and there`s a full black vinyl with red piping there £30 extra. What do u guys think?

Full vinyl red piping
cgi.ebay.co.uk/COBRA-monaco-bucket-seats-black-vinyl-red-piping_W0QQitemZ290075207444QQihZ019QQcategoryZ30172QQcmdZViewItem

Cloth with vinyl patches
cgi.ebay.co.uk/COBRA-monaco-rally-bucket-racing-sports-seats-FIA-black_W0QQitemZ290074429870QQihZ019QQcategoryZ30172QQcmdZViewItem
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby dapinky » Thu 08.02.2007, 13:05

Personally, I prefer the cloth with vinyl patches, but at the end of the day, it's what you want that matters!

When this sleet & hail dies down I'll post some pics of mine, with the 'real' measurements, not just some from the sales catalogue.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby nickgsxr750 » Fri 09.02.2007, 08:37

1st topic I can contribute to. I (not-yet-an-elan-owner) have to Monaco's in my car. First of all, I've got the 'Rock' version. This fabric is slightly more durable then the standard cloth. And the salesman said that this fabric doesn't looses it's color.

However, after riding them for 3yrs I found them turning a bit greenish (no not Lotus green). Now Cobra has the option to re-upholster for you in your own design, so I might give that a go. And the plastic inserts tend to crack, but those are also replaceble.

On the bright side, seats are still good, fitting is excellent (90+Kilo and even sometimes with a thick coat on.) Vinyl on the sides keep them neat also.

Let me know if they fit!

Cheers
nickgsxr750

Postby Monty » Fri 09.02.2007, 17:58

Well i`ve gone and bought the seats of ebay, got them for £185 brand new in black with free delivery. There £212 + £15 delivery at Demon Tweaks so not a bad price :-D should be here Monday but don`t think i`ll be home for the delivery :roll: I`ll post pic`s when i come to fit them and should be fitted for Donny if anyone wants to check them out.

Dave, did u take any measurements? suppose it doesn`t matter now as they`ll be fitted one way or another :lol:
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby dapinky » Fri 09.02.2007, 18:22

Monty wrote:Dave, did u take any measurements? suppose it doesn't matter now as they'll be fitted one way or another :lol:

Not yet - I don't know what your weather is like, but it's a bit on the Arctic side here (hail/sleet/snow/rain) -so much for global warming!

If I get a chance over the w/e i will do (even though you've already ordered!)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Monty » Fri 09.02.2007, 18:36

lol

Dave, i`ll save u from going out in the cold. You don`t need to do any measuring :lol: Hopefully i`ll have a go at fitment during next week/weekend. Think i`ll start with the passenger side, since Dico will be visiting that seat on a few occasions so i can bodge that one :-D

ps we`ve only had a bit of sleet and rain here!
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Mon 12.02.2007, 17:53

Got the Cobra Monaco S seats today :-D
I`ve just placed one on the passenger seat (no runners) just to see what it`s like. Think the main problem will be keeping the part that the seat belt clips in to :roll: as i wanted to keep the seat belts for normal driving. Anyways i`ll spend more time on the seats at weekend.
Last edited by Monty on Mon 12.02.2007, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Dico » Mon 12.02.2007, 17:58

Look pretty good them. Don't seem much if any taller than stock ones. Ah but Theres no runners atatched to them is there?
Does the door shut ok with the wings?
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Next

Return to Circuits & Track Days