Possible Thames/Chilterns Reading/Oxford/Wycombe area meet

Exactly that - A section for UK regular regional Elan (M100) social gatherings (for one-off events please look in Events - UK section)

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Possible Thames/Chilterns Reading/Oxford/Wycombe area meet

Postby Jackonicko » Sat 07.08.2010, 00:59

After a lot of people have commented on the lack of a local meet around the Thames Valley/Chilterns, I thought I’d gauge interest in such a thing.

The Ace is all very well, but not very M100, and the Hen and Chickens is quite a distance, so………

I suggest a meet at The Merry Miller‎, Cothill Road, Dry Sandford, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX13 6JW

http://www.millers.tablesir.com/
http://www.merrymiller.co.uk/

for a beer and a bite – they no longer do their curry night, but do do a bargain fish and chips option……….

In order to make it a bit different, I thought perhaps we could first take a picture of a row of Elans at the old MG factory, and then drive their old test route in convoy

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Abing ... siasts.htm

before dashing to the pub.

There are lots of places to go in the area, and a regular date but with changing locales might be fun?

How does Tuesday 17th sound?
Jackonicko

Re: Possible Thames/Chilterns Reading/Oxford/Wycombe area me

Postby tomac1975 » Sat 07.08.2010, 09:36

Hi Jon,

Sounds good shame I'm on holiday! But would be up for another meet at a later date.
tomac1975
Enthusiast

Postby rip » Sat 07.08.2010, 10:13

Not too far from me.

List? :D

1) Jacko
2) rip
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Specky » Sat 07.08.2010, 10:29

I'm lucky at the moment... :-D

H&C, Bollecks and Malvern all within easy reach.

Personally I'd use "Mike Gascoyne's Local" especially as he lives next door to the pub and is a frequent user... and it's closer to me... :wink:

Then again I don't know if it's common knowledge where he lives...I suppose if you have to ask it's not.

If you use Abingdon there are many events held on the Airfield, take this weekend for instance and there's a few LEC'ers there too. (Hope all goes well Tony)

Don't forget to take some photographs, we'll be trawling for the Calender soon.

when it's all sorted I reckon a drive to the H&C and a few drinks and later in the year vice versa, in fact all three meets could merge for the SSSS.

Intresting posibilities....

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby dapinky » Sat 07.08.2010, 10:45

seeing as Geoff hasn't yet organised our 2009 Xmas lunch, and the SSSS is temporarily on hold (maybe until Nige comes home), Malvern has been and gone (and the next one is looming), we've said "Bollecks to France", and the summer is not over...........

1) Jacko
2) rip
3) pinky

(PS - last time I was at the Abingdon factory was for a 'coming home' feature in Practical Classics - it was where the Works Competition cars were built for BL, and they wanted some pics of the Dolly)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby ashm » Sat 07.08.2010, 12:46

Ahh, sounds interesting. Unfortunately I'll be on site in New York from the 13th to 20th, maybe next month?

Adam
ashm
God

Postby terry randall » Sat 07.08.2010, 12:51

yep, count me in. As a newcomer, is this a driver's meet or are spouses expected to be dragged along? Tel
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby Jackonicko » Sat 07.08.2010, 14:23

Willing passengers welcome, of course, those who need to be dragged have an 'out'......

1) Jacko
2) rip
3) pinky
4) Terry R
Jackonicko

Postby Alan_C » Sat 07.08.2010, 23:09

I may be able to come and play, kid sitting as it's summer holidays, so what sort of time for the meet up at Abingdon factory? It's a good 1.5 hours trip out for me.
Alan_C
Fanatic

Postby Jackonicko » Sun 08.08.2010, 00:19

I wasn't expecting such a response!

How does 18:30 suit? 19:00?
Jackonicko

Postby rip » Sun 08.08.2010, 07:50

terry randall wrote:yep, count me in. As a newcomer, is this a driver's meet or are spouses expected to be dragged along? Tel

Whatever.
You would be equally welcome in your daily, although it is usual to bring the Elan along :-D

Jon,

I don't think I could get there much before 7.30. There is no reason why I can't skip the drive & catch you up at the destination.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 08.08.2010, 10:15

Autoroute puts it at an hour and a half if i go M4 to Newbury, or 8 minutes more to do 10 miles less, coming off at Swindon!

Can anyone give me a more informed, local opinion as to the best route, rather than Bill Gates' best guess???

Either way, 7 might be achievable but pushing it a bit with rush hour traffic, but i can try and be there, or can give someone a ring as i approach to see where you are - or i can find a pub!!!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby antelope » Sun 08.08.2010, 11:09

I'm up for this. Any excuse for a drive. Just to confirm...it's the Merry Miller near Abingdon at 6.30 - 7 on the 17th yes?
antelope
Enthusiast

Postby Jackonicko » Sun 08.08.2010, 11:27

If Rip thinks he can make it by 7.30, and Pinky 7.00, let's make it 7 for 7.30 to start the drive. I'll pre-recce and post the exact location here.

Dave,

Bill Gates sounds right! Avoiding Swindon is always good (sorry Specky!) but more seriously, going via the Newbury M4 junction and A34 makes it motorway/dual carriageway all the way, as Abingdon is on the A34. I'm not surprised that it's judged quicker.

1) Jacko
2) rip
3) pinky
4) Terry R
5) Antelope
6) Alan C??
7)
8 )
9)
10)
11)
12)

For a Treasure Hunt/convoy/rally on the public highway involving more than 12 cars you need route authorisation from the Police and something called a local Competition Authorisation Office, (and pay a fee!), so we should cap the drive at 12 cars (how's that for optimism!)
Jackonicko

Postby Specky » Sun 08.08.2010, 11:58

dapinky wrote:Autoroute puts it at an hour and a half if i go M4 to Newbury, or 8 minutes more to do 10 miles less, coming off at Swindon!

Can anyone give me a more informed, local opinion as to the best route, rather than Bill Gates' best guess???

Either way, 7 might be achievable but pushing it a bit with rush hour traffic, but i can try and be there, or can give someone a ring as i approach to see where you are - or i can find a pub!!!

It's 50/50, I used to undertake the journey nearly daily, I asked the better half and she couldn't decide either... :wink:

One thing to bare in mind is the now weekly repatriation ceremony, they normally occurs on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays.

The time varies slightly, but the route is thru Wotton basset ,M4, A419, A420

If you fancy a brew, you're more than welcome to pop in.

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby Jackonicko » Sun 08.08.2010, 12:44

You're in and not joining us, Specky? :poke:

Ah well, if Pinky does drop in, he can perhaps pick up an aerial........ or two! ;-)
Jackonicko

Postby DavidEJM » Mon 09.08.2010, 20:17

Hi Jon

I'd be up for that. Been away on holiday and will need to check the diary but I'll put my name down anyway. Sounds good....

1) Jacko
2) rip
3) pinky
4) Terry R
5) Antelope
6) Alan C??
7) DavidEJM
8 )
9)
10)
11)
12)
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby Jackonicko » Sat 14.08.2010, 17:57

I've just done a quick recce, and have driven the route.

I think that we should meet in front of Oxford Engineering Limited, Unit 6 Colwell Drive, Abingdon Business Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1AU

Units 4-6 used to be Bays 6-8 of the factory's B-block. These housed the Experimental/Development Department
(with Engineering on a Bay-6 mezzanine, and with the Drawing Office downstairs.)

B Block housed the tyre fitting bay, final inspection, paint repair booths, the "rectification" (mechanical repair) shop, the Competitions Department (factory race team), and the Product Design group.

We're looking for a 1930 start from Colwell Drive, so if we can be there a bit early.....

(Colwell Drive leads North from a roundabout with the Police station on one corner, and MacDonalds opposite).

The route can be found at:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 6&dirflg=d

It's more historically significant than interesting or stimulating, as a route, but still, first effort and all that, and it's nice to get a decent number of Elans on the road at once. (Especially if one of us brings more than one Elan................)

We have a table for ten booked at the Merry Miller (extra numbers will be no problem, I suspect) for 1950.

I look forward to seeing you all on Tuesday.
Jackonicko

Postby Specky » Sat 14.08.2010, 18:22

Jackonicko wrote:You're in and not joining us, Specky? :poke:

Ah well, if Pinky does drop in, he can perhaps pick up an aerial........ or two! ;-)

I may pop along, don't think I'll do the convoy, to many blue uns with dodgy brakes...:wink:

See you next Tuesday Jacko

TTFN
Specky

Postby dapinky » Sat 14.08.2010, 18:24

If it makes you feel any better, i can bring a faded red one with dodgy brakes, instead :lol:
Dave

dapinky

Next

Return to UK Regional Elan Meetings (Regular)