BOLLECKS to Vulcan

Exactly that - A section for UK regular regional Elan (M100) social gatherings (for one-off events please look in Events - UK section)

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: BOLLECKS to Vulcan

Postby Saltire » Wed 28.10.2015, 18:28

Final flight took place this afternoon - just a circuit around Doncaster Airport. Poor video online at http://planestv.com/live, but I prefer to remember her as I saw her at air shows and - on one memorable occasion this summer - directly overhead the house here in Crudwell. We shall not see her like again :bowdown:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Kathryn » Wed 28.10.2015, 19:49

I guess I'm lucky to have seen her seven times this year, three times last year- 18 times in total since 2009. I'll miss her next summer! :cry:
I hope they succeed in getting Concorde flying again, be something to look forward to. Used to fly over my house twice every day. We used to wave to her from the primary school playground in the 80s and I always looked out for her at 11am and 7pm right until she was grounded, still miss it.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 28.10.2015, 20:32

My best ever view was from the top of a convenient fire escape at Filton in 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSJliSnjw0

Despite the money raised, I doubt Concorde will ever make it back as obsolescence was a major issue and there will probably have to be redesign of a lot of the 1970s technology electronics. We had many phone calls from Airbus to see if we had a databook on some obscure device, which we quite often did because I'd resisted the management purges of paperwork. I was up on the hill above the runway to watch G-BOAF land for the last time on 26th November 2003.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Saltire » Wed 28.10.2015, 20:37

One of my team at work was speaking at a conference in New York in the late 1990s. He went back to JFK for the fight home to discover the 747 was tech and expected to be 5 hours late taking off. As he was a gold card holder (we all flew 100 times a year plus in those days) BA offered a seat on an alternative flight. Only as they pulled up to the aircraft in the shuttle bus did he realise that he might be back rather sooner than he might otherwise have been. Like about 4 hours quicker . . .

He was known for ever afterwards as "Concorde Charlie" :D
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Previous

Return to UK Regional Elan Meetings (Regular)