What news?!

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

What news?!

Postby madbilly » Tue 06.06.2017, 16:31

Hi everyone,

It's been too long since I last had chance to catch up with the news in the world of Elan ownership. Due to a few recent issues with my Elan I've resolved to re-engage with the community and keep up to date with the latest group buys, last chance to buys, comings and goings of new and long-time owners etc.

So: What news?! What are the current group buys that I'm not too late to join in on? What parts are proving increasingly hard to find? What new services and parts have come on the market (roof seals? rear lights?!)? What are the latest modification crazes? Which gremlins are becoming increasingly common?

Oh, and anyone coming down to Provence, give me a shout - I live in the hinterlands north of Aix.

Cheers!
Will
madbilly
Fanatic

Re: What news?!

Postby HJ2 » Tue 06.06.2017, 17:27

Oooh! I'll be visiting Cadenet soon early this summer 8) Anywhere near you?
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 06.06.2017, 21:48

Well hello Will, long time no see. Drove down to Spain via the A75 in 2015 and 2016 but might do the A7 later this year. This year we were due to drive back via Genoa and the Italian lakes but the Monaco GP and Castle Combe put paid to that so that may be a possibility next year.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby madbilly » Wed 07.06.2017, 13:53

HJ2 wrote:Oooh! I'll be visiting Cadenet soon early this summer 8) Anywhere near you?

Yes Cadenet's not far away. When are you coming down?
GeoffSmith wrote:Well hello Will, long time no see. Drove down to Spain via the A75 in 2015 and 2016 but might do the A7 later this year. This year we were due to drive back via Genoa and the Italian lakes but the Monaco GP and Castle Combe put paid to that so that may be a possibility next year.

The A75's nice, we took that route to Le Mans a couple of years ago. I'm not sure that the A7 is quite as nice, but I've gone north of Montelimar on that road so the northern part may be nicer. In general I try and avoid going on motorways in the Lotus because I find neither roof up nor roof down to be very enjoyable.
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Wed 07.06.2017, 15:18

The problem with the b roads is that they are even more stuffed with both sleeping and awake policemen — or nasty speed cameras ... And of course it's often longer too.
I must say I admire you Englishmen who travel through France from north to south and a part of the England too, it must be very boring after you first discover the scenery. I mean, when there is something to look at.
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby madbilly » Wed 07.06.2017, 16:46

I agree the B roads are often frustrating, especially when travelling across departement borders and the road quality suddenly changes! I notice this going between Var and Alpes-de-Hautes-Provence, the 04 roads are often very poor in comparison to 83 roads!

And the speed bumps in France are incredible, some of them are bigger than an Elan! Speed cameras and policeman aren't difficult to avoid really, certainly no worse than in Britain.

And in summer there are too many tourists down here to make driving enjoyable. Even when there aren't tourists there's always the risk of being killed by yet-another-Frenchman/woman-thinking-they're-Francois-Delacour/Michelle-Mouton!

Driving any convertible car in the summer in Provence is almost impossible in the afternoon, because the sun is strong enough to melt lead.

However, some of the roads are nice, and some of the scenery is nice, and when it's not too hot, it's almost as good as being back in Blighty :D

BTW - I live in France, not in UK, hence I don't travel the long distances. I know that my profile needs to be updated to stop saying Cheltenham.
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Thu 13.07.2017, 11:35

I am in Cadenet till July 19 :D
Obviously not in the Elan (unfortunately) but in the E61 525i. Not so bad either.
Anyone in for a mini meet? :burnout:
HJ2
God

Postby madbilly » Sat 15.07.2017, 14:15

Hi there,
Please excuse my late reply, half way through the weekend's not the best time to arrange a meet up!
It would be great to meet up. We plan to go to the plateau Valensole this afternoon and maybe Mont Ventoux tomorrow. I could meet after I finish work on Monday or Tuesday?
Cheers,
Will :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sat 15.07.2017, 18:43

Monday sounds fine!
PM-ed :burnout:
HJ2
God

Return to New Members - Introductions