New prospective owner from Sheffield

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

New prospective owner from Sheffield

Postby MG 4 Lotus » Mon 25.09.2017, 02:12

Hi All
I've always wanted a Lotus and now is the right time for me to fulfil that desire. I think the Elise is really pretty but the mrs may not be able to get in or out of it and it might be a bit too wide to fit down the driveway of my house so it looks like it's an Elan for me but I've never actually been in one. I hope it's easier to get into than the Elise.
I'm just a little bit scared about buying an older car and if there is a lot of work involved in owning one so I'm maybe looking for a bit of re-assurance.
I 've been keeping an eye out on the ads and I've not seen anything in the Sheffield area for about a year. The nearest one was recently sold by Enright in Nottingham. I would have liked to have had a look at it to get a feel for them but with a busy life I am time poor.
Do I go for a cheaper one that needs some work or do I pay a bit more for one that I can just drive and not worry about it?
All advice greatly received.
MG 4 Lotus

Re: New prospective owner from Sheffield

Postby clemo » Mon 25.09.2017, 08:51

Good morning to you ,
and welcome to lotus elan central a wealth of knowledge of how to run and maintain a Lotus elan M100.

Neils car was a good running project which is why it got snapped up for a good price!.

At the moment there are 2 cars which fit your criteria / as in the "Enright price bracket"

One of which , as luck would have it is mine !.

mine:-
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26298

or simon's which is here :-
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 91/7745479

The one thing i will mention is that for a limited produced car you will have to travel , and for one that fits your financial you will be very lucky if one shows up in your home town again ..

Anyway good luck in your quest to find a car . Hope to meet you at a lotus event in a dusty carpark one day

All the best

Us lot here at LEC .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Rambo » Mon 25.09.2017, 09:17

Not wishing to put you off but, with a narrow drive, I think you'll find that the Elan is wider than the Elise (check measurements) However, the Elan is considerably easier to get in and out of than the Elise and is considerably cheaper to purchase

Both the Elans mentioned are a good price and are a good toehold into M100 ownership for someone on a limited budget

Good luck with your search
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Rambo » Mon 25.09.2017, 09:30

Have just checked the answer my own question and it's only marginal. 171.9 cms for the Elise and 173.4 cms for the Elan

The widths are much closer than I originally thought so the odd 1.5 cms shouldn't make too much difference ????
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby dapinky » Mon 25.09.2017, 09:58

When I got our first Elan (for Angie) - she found that getting in and out was FAR easier than with an Elise. You don't have the high/wide sills to contend with, and the door doesn't need to be open as far as possible to enable the move.

It can be used in 'standard' Supermarket parking spaces, whilst the Elise wouldn't. It's just far more like 'climbing in' as opposed to 'falling in'.

I would suggest that you find a car locally (maybe at a dealer?) - ignore the price/condition etc and just go and see how you like the car in relation to such issues as getting in and out.

Once you are happy that an Elan will work for you, then it is far easier to justify travelling to see/buy one in the 'right' condition & price-range.

I fear that if you wait until one comes up locally, it will take a while, and then you may convince yourself it is right when it may not be.

If you can get along to any local meetings, you may find another owner who is happy to show you round their car, have a ride in it, and point out the common pitfalls.

There are LEC members at Elland, Leeds, Buxton and Nottingham (all within an hour of you, in all directions) who may be able to show you what they've got (and possibly even some closer, but maybe not so active on here).

Welcome to LEC, and good luck in your quest.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby MG 4 Lotus » Wed 27.09.2017, 00:58

@ Clemo
I think you're right about travelling to view Elans. Being time poor, there is no way I will get to see yours before you sell it. Good luck with it BTW.
@ Rambo
Of course you're right about the width. I 've got a Volvo V70 which is 1861 wide. 2050 wide including the wing mirrors. It just manages to squeeze down the drive way between our house and the neighbours so the Elan or an Elise will be OK. It was about a year ago when I was looking at the measurements, I wonder If I was looking at the earlier Elan measurements by mistake. The other thing I was concerned about was ground clearance, there is a slight crest when transitioning from pavement to driveway. If I need to smooth out the transition I will just go ahead and do it.
@ Dapinky
Good real life info regarding supermarket parking spaces and the mrs getting in and out.
I think I need to get one that I can just drive, rather than a project, as I don't have the time for a project at the moment and there is at least another 5 to 10 years before I can retire. So I will be looking to spend a bit more (I can't believe I just wrote that) and I will get out and start viewing them and trying them out.
And, if there are any events coming up I hope I can make the time to join in.
MG 4 Lotus

Postby bbjon » Fri 06.10.2017, 17:07

Hi,

I'm over near Scunthorpe so if you feel like a scoot along the m18 to look over an Elan feel free to have a look at mine. I've got a ramp and can give you a good look around and underneath if you like.
The front bumper is off at the minute as I'm popping a new radiator and some fans in but I'll be popping all that back on this Sunday - let me know if you want to come across.

cheers

Jon
bbjon

Postby MG 4 Lotus » Sun 08.10.2017, 00:50

Hi Jon

I'd love to come over and take a look. I'll be in touch.

Cheers
Mark
MG 4 Lotus

Postby C3LOS » Sun 08.10.2017, 21:35

Mine is for sale ( carandclassic and Autotrader website )- the black one with gold trim
It's all done and ready to drive away, but there is huge fun working on them too, esp with the LEC support.
Good luck with which ever way you go...you won't regret it!
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby vinnie » Mon 09.10.2017, 20:17

At Mosborough Sheffield. I have a S2 NMY.
vinnie

Return to New Members - Introductions