New member in Lincoln

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

New member in Lincoln

Postby Rocklobster » Sat 13.01.2018, 13:03

Hi there.
Just put a deposit on a 1990 SE. Will be picking it up within the next couple of weeks or so. Seems mechanically good, needs some tidying. Can't wait.

I'll probably be looking for advice on refinishing and general tarting up over the next year, so I'll be browsing the forums.

I've not seen any of these around Lincoln area for years. It would be interesting to know how many are in the area.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Re: New member in Lincoln

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 13.01.2018, 13:44

Welcome (not sure I can say that being a member for a few hours longer than you lol).

May I ask how long you were looking for? Do you have any other pictures I can enjoy mulling over?
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rocklobster » Sat 13.01.2018, 17:29

Hello and thanks for the welcome.

After much consideration and looking at Elises and VX220s, I started thinking about the Elan last summer. and made my mind up, that's what I want. I've been keeping an eye on what's for sale since then, but only now been in a position to buy.

I was looking to keep the budget down to 6K ish (and wanted a blue one), so I bought one that needs tidying (mostly interior). If you're spending 7 or 8, you're starting to get pretty tidy cars. I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage as the Isuzu engines go on for ever. Buy on condition, not mileage and you need to either check the underside yourself, or have someone along who knows what to look for. With an S2, there's a bit less to be concerned about as the rear wishbones are galvanised and won't rust. This is an issue with SE's that haven't been kept dry.

Also check out MoT histories on http://https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. You only need the reg and you can tell if the car's been laid up for long periods or if there are recurrent issues.

I do think your strategy of posting links to cars of interest on here is a good one. You've had some good advice thrown your way. I hope I'm not caught out by thinking I know it all and not asking for help...

For photo's of my car, visit the following link. The details are from an auction sale a few years ago, it hasn't aged a great deal.

https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/weekly/car-detail/lot-23-1990-lotus-elan-se

Happy hunting and I hope you find what you want.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Postby clemo » Sat 13.01.2018, 18:25

Hey Rocklobster welcome to the owners club .
Hope you enjoy your new toy .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Rambo » Sat 13.01.2018, 18:58

Looks like you have refurbed seats Rocklobster (nice job but no Lotus logo. No big deal though ;-)

And a Peco or PNM exhaust. And a non standard blue hood.

Jacking points look OK but check them out and the inner cills though :? Cheapo boroscopes available via Ebay

In general, car looks well cared for and engine bay very clean so has had a loving owner in the past

PS your MOT last March so has been laid up quite a time !!

PPS and its missing it's penknife :? Trevor would not approve :x
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rocklobster » Sat 13.01.2018, 19:48

Hi Rambo, yes, the seats have been re-covered. Quite tidy, but with vinyl. I prefer leather and will have them changed, but not yet.

The exhaust is a Peco 2 1/4". Sounds good.

Jacking points are solid. I had it jacked up for a good inspection underneath, everything that you can see looks sound. As you note, the inner cills need checking properly.

It's been in dry store since March with binding brakes to testify, as a cheeky test drive demonstrated. These are being sorted out now and it's being MoT'd next week. Can't wait to pick it up and start tinkering. Shame about the penknife. :(
Rocklobster

Postby Rambo » Sat 13.01.2018, 20:27

Don't worry about the penknife - the condition of the car is more important. The toolkit is fairly useless anyway, albeit good ones go for hefty money on eBay. And, with my limited knowledge gleaned over 16 years or so, the car looks a good 'un on visual inspection anyway. As for driving, you will be the judge of that :burnout:

Don't do what Simon Revill did when he bought my Collapso Red Rambo a few years ago. Much as I told him not to, he rushed out and blew between £1.5 - 2K on the car (including recovering the seats in leather) and then decided a month later that he couldn't hack the car and driving position (Simon was about 6' 5")

Money wasted. Get out and enjoy driving the car and then factor in the major jobs when the sun sets over the horizon in autumn and doesnt reappear until spring
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rambo » Sat 13.01.2018, 22:22

Rocklobster - I'm fairly sure there is another owner in Lincolnshire. Dermott Bell has a BRG SE but serves with the RAF and is possibly away on duty more than thrashing his car round the leafy lanes of Lincolnshire. If you bump into him he is very friendly and knowledgeable on M100's. His Father, Alan Bell, was born with Lotus blood ;-)
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby bbjon » Mon 15.01.2018, 13:39

Hi

I'm just up the A15 from Lincoln in Waddingham - feel free to drop by if you need any help or a brew.

Jon
bbjon
Tinkerer

Postby Rocklobster » Mon 15.01.2018, 21:41

Hi Jon,

You are only just up the A15, I'm in Welton. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, we'll have to have a question and answer session some time. I'll test your knowledge on the things I can't figure out.

Pete.
Rocklobster

Postby Giniw » Mon 15.01.2018, 22:11

Hi and welcome to you Rocklobster!
Giniw
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 15.01.2018, 23:39

Rocklobster wrote: Shame about the penknife. :(

Don't worry about the penknife - the Lotus OE knife was made by Inox, Soligen, Germany so isn't a "Swiss Army Knife" anyway. It has 6 'blades' and the plastic is so soft that the Lotus logo has nearly worn off mine.

The Victorinox Spartan in black is the equivalent but swaps the Crosshead screwdriver (already in tool kit anyway) for a corkscrew (essential for 'Combe or Brands ' Lotus weekends :cheers: ) and you get a toothpick & tweezers as well for £20.
www.swisstool.co.uk/st/spartan-black-swiss-army-knife/ For an extra £5 they'll engrave LOTUS on it too...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby bbjon » Tue 16.01.2018, 00:22

Wow Welton you really are just up the road! It'll be good to see another elan about.

Anyway all this penknife talk - some of us don't even have a toolkit!
bbjon
Tinkerer

Postby Giniw » Tue 16.01.2018, 00:27

bbjon wrote:some of us don't even have a toolkit!
:cry:
Giniw
God

Postby blimeyme » Wed 17.01.2018, 16:12

Lincoln eh....well Welton...I know it well as a Lincoln lad myself, now in Leicester but often around as family still on Doddington Park! Is Black Bull still in Welton?
When weather better I often have a run to Lincoln in mine, be good to see another Elan or two on those days.
Enjoy the car....I've had mine 2 years and still smiling!
blimeyme

Postby Rocklobster » Wed 17.01.2018, 23:38

Hi Blimeyme

The Black Bull's still going strong.
It looks like there are a couple of Elans in the area. Timing doesn't always work out, what with family commitments etc. but if you're visiting Lincoln one fine day (with Elan of course), you'll have to let us know and we'll try to meet up.

I haven't picked mine up yet and I'm smiling. Somehow, I know I'm going to enjoy owning this car.
Rocklobster

Postby roy666 » Sat 20.01.2018, 19:01

Rocklobster - welcome.... there's a couple of us with S2s at RAF Cranwell... we should go for a RAF Lincs Meet!
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Rocklobster » Sun 21.01.2018, 20:14

Hi Roy666. It looks like there are a couple of SE's north of Lincoln then and a couple of S2's at Cranwell. Might be worth a run out and a meet in Summer then. Keep it in mind.

Thanks for posting.
Rocklobster

Return to New Members - Introductions