Hello from Prestwick, Ayrshire.

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Specky, Elanlover, GeoffSmith

Hello from Prestwick, Ayrshire.

Postby ColinBruce » Sun 04.03.2018, 19:11

Hi, I became a member a few a few weeks ago but I haven't had the time to introduce myself properly until now.
Thanks to Scott J, John_W, Jamie N & Clemo who have already contributed in a post called Monte Carlo Rally Paisley. You seem like a friendly bunch.

This week I have fitted a set of winter tyres on white rally-style 5 spoke alloys. I could use these all year round but plan to keep them for winter navigation rallies. The next modification planned is a LED light bar which will make a huge difference on nighttime events but I expect it will be into the summer before I get around to this.

My Elan now has a cherished number but came with H97OOF. When I bought it nearly 3 years ago the engine didn't run well and sometimes even cut out. Eventually my local garage discovered that the rotor in the distributor had not been fitted properly which was causing the timing to randomly change! I don't know for how long or for how many owners the car had been like that. However - it's all sorted now. I also removed the turbo dump valve as it was a bit 'boy-racery' for me and sounded like the car was sneezing every time I changed gear!!! If anyone knows any history on this car then please get in touch.

Re: Hello from Prestwick, Ayrshire.

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 04.03.2018, 19:42

Well you've got me signing onto confused.com. If it''s an SE with turbo, you mention dump valve, it will have a cam angle sensor and ignition timing is mainly controlled by the Engine Control Unit - the electronic box hidden behind the glove box. Don't know why your garage is talking about a distributor and rotor arm problem as it hasn't got one to have a problem :smt017

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Sun 04.03.2018, 21:31

Must be one of those slower N/A's Phil :?
String vest. From the West.

Postby Kipperozzy » Sun 11.03.2018, 18:22

Hello Colin, welcome aboard it’s good to see another Elan on the West Coast, and Prestwick didn’t get as much snow as us. I had to dig my way into my garage last weekend. I think I picked a good winter to SORN mine to recoat all the metalwork as the roads this year have been very salty here in Greenock

Return to New Members - Introductions