Hello from Brisbane Australia

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby Brisvegas » Thu 31.05.2018, 16:46

Hello
My name is Mark and I am based in Brisbane Australia .
I own a low mileage 1987 Excel SA but do not own an Elan -yet !
I am currently in the U.K. visiting family and after visiting the Lotus Owners display at Ragley Hall last week I am excited about finding an Elan to buy and send home to Australia.
I went up to Crossroads Motors in Sheffield to view a car but it wasn't very well presented, so the search continues .
I am looking for a non BRG car ideally blue but needs to be pre 1991 to make it easier to import to Oz .
Question
Is a well presented 2 owner full service history NA car likely to increase in value in the future better than an average condition turbo model ?
Is there a massive difference in the drive and / or the desirability between the turbo and the NA models.
And would the NA model be fine for Day to Day driving ?

Regards
Mark
Brisvegas
Brisvegas

Re: Hello from Brisbane Australia

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 31.05.2018, 20:44

Hay Mark,

Welcome! Great choice of cars (Excel & Elan). Any pics of the Excel you can share :) ?

No idea whether these are going to go up in value. What I do know is that it wont dramatically lose money like my BMW was doing!

My car has only done 35k miles....but it's a 29year old car. It's very reliable car and not let me down, but it is 29 years old so I expect to either do work on it. It's more expensive for me to run this than it was a WRX or BMW 330D (excluding depreciation). But I guess you know all that having an Excel :oops: :lol:

I'm sure NA or Turbo would be fine for everyday driving but I'd personally go for a turbo. Who wants a slow NA regardless of its condition :lol: :burnout:

Jus.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Thu 31.05.2018, 21:40

I can put you in touch with someone selling a very good N/A if you go down that route

But it is BRG :?

Good value though. Fibreglass and underneath in vgc
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brisvegas » Thu 31.05.2018, 22:13

The Excel has been great . I bought it as a last minute bid on eBay from Cornwall 10 years ago and put it on the ship to Brisbane .
Rebuilt the suspension last year and carb rebuild ,ignition and engine bay are this years Plan.
Spoilt with 300 days of sun a year so windows down and twisty roads galore.
Excels have probably tripled in value in the last 10 years .
I will try and post some photos of the Excel soon.
Rules are about to change for imports into Australia so M100s will be easier to import .

I left the UK 25 years ago and lusted after the new Elans then .
Now they are at a good price point and are probably undervalued .
I have missed the boat for the original Elan and Esprits , they are out of my price range until I win the Euro millions tomorrow.

I am looking for a 1989 to 1991 car , not British racing green , needs to be close to original factory spec and I will get any repair or restoration work that needs to be done fixed before I ship because there is little to no support for older Lotusses in Australia .
Cheers
Mark
Brisvegas

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 01.06.2018, 08:43

My mechanic had an Esprit Essex in his work shop that he had owned 20 years ago, then it was shipped to OZ and then shipped back 8 years later just to be sold! Thats some mileage :lol:

I'd suggest you read about the upgrades people have done and decide what you do and dont want. I'm all for originality but there are some that are well worth having as it makes the car much more usable (in my opinion) especially if you are going to use it as a daily driver. A number of these are reversible too.

Some would be easier/cheaper if you decided you wanted them now as you could either look for a car with them or buy the parts now and save on shipping. Brake upgrade (2 pot to 4) is one I did immediately on my car, wind defector, Samco hoses, braided brake lines.

Others you could do yourself and dont need Lotus specific parts
= replacing the open cell (water absorbent) carpet underlay with close cell to save your outriggers.
= Install a remote boot unlocking mechanism. Pain using a key every time you want to go in the boot - drives me nuts but would be even worse if it was my daily.

viewforum.php?f=44

Oh something worth mentioning as you are looking for an earlier car. There was a recall on the earlier cars for the fuel tank. It is plastic and was liable to split near the neck at the top. My car, 1989, was stored most of it's life and didn't get the recall. When I filled it to the top there was a strong smell of petrol. As it's a small tank anyway I didnt want to only be able to fill it 3/4 up and also didnt like the idea of fuel leaking right by my passengers head! So I replaced the tank. Tried initially with a 2nd hand tank from flea bay (£120) and that was split too! So ended up getting a brand new £700 one from SJ Sports, gulp! No smell of petrol at all now :D So one to definitely check to make sure it's been done...or test by getting the owner to fill it up to the top.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Brisvegas » Fri 01.06.2018, 18:10

Thank You Jusnogood and Rambo for your replies.
Looks like lots of options available to improve on the original design.
I missed a car on E bay today . Tried to snag it on the cheap as it needed some work and there was a danger that I might need to store it for a while until the rules change in Oz so tipped my toe in the water and went too low .
Rambo I will send a PM regards the brg car .

Regards
Mark
Brisvegas

Postby DavidS2 » Thu 05.07.2018, 15:09

Hi Mark,
I’m another Elan fan in Sydney (bit closer to home). I can assure you the Elan is a brilliant car. In fact, I’m lucky enough to have two S2’s. I do know someone with an Elan SE who I think might be thinking of selling if your still after one. They are based just outside of Sydney. Happy to connect u with them if you like.
Cheers ... Dave
DavidS2

Postby cjay » Fri 06.07.2018, 07:57

Good to see another Brisbane Elan fan :)

It might be easier to get a local Elan when they pop up :)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you will get air con in an NA along with power steering and a turbo ;) as you probably know no aircon in Brisbane kinda sucks.
I wonder what color the next one will be?
cjay
S2 #475

Postby alan e » Fri 06.07.2018, 16:37

No A/C here at the moment kinda sucks its a bit hot :oops: :oops:
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Brisvegas » Tue 10.07.2018, 10:02

Back in Brisbane .
Was AC an optional extra on the cars?
Did many people specify it?
I have AC on my Excel SA but it isn't very good so use my every day car on hot days in the summer.
I only take the Excel out on dry days and always drive with the windows down so on most days it is fine.
How many later Elans are there in Australia?
Brisvegas

Postby cjay » Tue 10.07.2018, 10:33

As far as I know all S2's had A/C, all the Aussie SE's I have seen had A/C as well. :) I have only seen one NA here, it was at Cleveland and a total mess.

I kept count of Elan's here for a while, last count was around 30 to 35. I checked with the factory, they had no idea.
I wonder what color the next one will be?
cjay
S2 #475

Postby Simon_P » Tue 10.07.2018, 10:50

A/C is straight forward enough to retro fit for an Aussie. The wiring is in place, ideally you would transplant the parts from a wreck, failing that an evaporator would do, the rest could be made up or is generic.
Simon_P
God

Return to New Members - Introductions