H194 VVF

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

H194 VVF

Postby Joe Roberts » Thu 04.07.2019, 17:30

Hi there I'm new to this group and currently recommissioning/restoring the above Elan, its a normally aspirated version in red. Registered 1992 but manufactured 1990 not sure why (probably kicking around the factory!) Does anyone know of its history as all i have is the V5. Its in a bit of a sorry state and was standing for the last five years. I've got it running now as the coil pick up had failed and now slowly rectifying all the things that don't work which are mainly electrics. Chassis is ok but the suspension will need restoring.
Struggling to get the headlights to work Main and dip which i think i've narrowed down to the Pod Delay relay (red one) but struggling to find one anywhere if anyone knows or has one please contact me..
Joe Roberts

Re: H194 VVF

Postby Steve A » Thu 04.07.2019, 18:11

Hi Joe :m100: (Nice colour)
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the journey
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby LRS7 » Thu 04.07.2019, 22:59

Hello Joe
Lots of suspension upgrades out there and many discussions about stock our upgrade on the Forum for you to read threw .. I’ve got an Se that heading for an suspension upgrade soon and will be facing the same choice I’ll let you know what I choose?
Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Range Rover Evoque
M100 1991 Lotus Elan Se
M100 1994 Lotus Elan S2 #498
LRS7
Tinkerer

Postby NewLogik » Fri 05.07.2019, 11:34

LRS7 wrote:Hello Joe
Lots of suspension upgrades out there and many discussions about stock our upgrade on the Forum for you to read threw .. I’ve got an Se that heading for an suspension upgrade soon and will be facing the same choice I’ll let you know what I choose?

I'm not in need for a new suspension yet, however started looking as well. I'm looking foward to what you guys will choose. :)

Welcome aboard Joe.
NewLogik
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 05.07.2019, 14:12

Joe Roberts wrote:Hi there I'm new to this group and currently recommissioning/restoring the above Elan, its a normally aspirated version in red. Registered 1992 but manufactured 1990 not sure why (probably kicking around the factory!) Does anyone know of its history as all i have is the V5. Its in a bit of a sorry state and was standing for the last five years. I've got it running now as the coil pick up had failed and now slowly rectifying all the things that don't work which are mainly electrics. Chassis is ok but the suspension will need restoring.
Struggling to get the headlights to work Main and dip which i think i've narrowed down to the Pod Delay relay (red one) but struggling to find one anywhere if anyone knows or has one please contact me..

Pod Delay Module, Part # B100M0110F went obsolete 13/11/18. I am in the US and I still have a couple at $40.00 each + postage, but best that you make sure it is really what you need. Read the attached sections to properly understand and test the module.

Headlamp Operation (relays and pod control):
HL Operation.jpg
Click to enlarge

Additional info:
HL Operation-2.jpg
Click to enlarge
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 05.07.2019, 15:59

All of the manuals are readily available using the link in my signature (below my posts)
Or here http://www.lotusm100.com/manuals/
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 05.07.2019, 18:46

Joe Roberts wrote:Hi there I'm new to this group and currently recommissioning/restoring the above Elan, its a normally aspirated version in red. Registered 1992 but manufactured 1990 not sure why (probably kicking around the factory!) Does anyone know of its history as all i have is the V5. Its in a bit of a sorry state and was standing for the last five years. I've got it running now as the coil pick up had failed and now slowly rectifying all the things that don't work which are mainly electrics. Chassis is ok but the suspension will need restoring.

How have you narrowed it down? The function of the Pod Delay Relay is just to hold the pods up for 2 seconds after the headlamps are flashed - it let's the driver do a quick 'double flash' without the pods trying to go down in between those flashes.. It shouldn't stop them coming up. If it's failed I think they'll just go down immediately. Wiring Diagram 6A applies to most SE's. (Early 'opera glass' headlamps had micro-switches - Diag 6)

The Pod Control Module controls the feed to the motors using electronic switches to reverse the polarity for up or down, and uses electronic switches to sense current draw. When the lights are switched off, it also uses an earth through the dip filaments to trigger the reversal of polarity to 'down' rotation of the motor, to put the headlight pods away. If both dip bulbs have failed the system will not work properly and get's itself in a muddle with motor feed polarity .. it can pop some fuses.

First thing to check is whether the dip headlamps are coming on when the pods are still down ... quite easy to see when it's dark. With a bit of luck they won't be and all you need is a couple of bulbs.. possibly a fuses or two ..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby esprit888 » Fri 05.07.2019, 19:32

I believe the headlamp control module is the same as the 88 to 91 Esprit, and i just so happen to have a spare (but i'm on the other side of the pond) Also the modules can be repaired inexpensively , See:
https://www.lotusmarques.com/info/techn ... irs-part-1
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 05.07.2019, 20:40

If you are registered, it would be helpful for you to provide chapter 2 as it has the real info but restricted to only members and no way to join anymore.

The actual diagnostic steps are in my previous post.

The control modules are also used by several Pontiacs (firebird, fiero, sunbird), Buicks (Riviera), Chevy (Corvette) among others. They changed the stall current requirements around 1989, so anything earlier is liable to do weird things or not work at all. Early Fiero controllers look the same but are NOT correct and might burn up the motors.

Several owners have replaced the transistors and there are several posts on LEC with part numbers and suggestions. Tuga and Geoff did a bit of discussion not too long ago.

I have a few NEW controllers if anyone needs one ($125.00 + postage). Lots of used ones on eBay - some into the $300.00 to $500.00 range (that is
criminal).

I also have a few new pod delay modules (B100M0110F) for $40.00 each + postage.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Joe Roberts » Sat 06.07.2019, 19:08

thanks for your replies, i've ordered a pod delay relay as i think this is what it is. Headlight pods go up and down and stay up for a few seconds using the flash, neither the main or dips working and there is no feed to either of their relays which comes from the delay relay. I will let you know. fingers crossed! Just now trying to find the plastic part that fits between the hood storage cover pull and the door jam, is this plastic part the only thing stopping it being pulled through??
Joe Roberts

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.07.2019, 20:47

Joe Roberts wrote:"Just now trying to find the plastic part that fits between the hood storage cover pull and the door jam, is this plastic part the only thing stopping it being pulled through??

There is no "plastic" piece at the hood stowage cover pull. The outer cable goes through the hole in the door jam (B Post) and a M10 x 30 washer goes on and then the nut that pinches the cable housing to the B Post. See page 35 of Parts Guide S2 for a decent picture of the cable and it's connections.

The parts guides are a great place to look for a pictorial hint where parts go. The S2 version contains ALL M100 models including the S2 while V6 only covers the M100 up to the SE and US/FED model. The guides also provide the part numbers for the parts you need so you can use the numbers to search for your parts instead of a description that might not match the description generated by Lotus.

You can also see a picture of the cable at https://www.deroure.com/search.asp?MAK= ... T=100b0605 and clicking on the picture icon (far right of table)for item 47

Learning how to use the parts guides is a better solution.

I am assuming you ordered the relay from SJs? Their price of £22.12 is about what I paid for mine before postage to the US.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Joe Roberts » Mon 08.07.2019, 20:28

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I've been using the parts guide via deroure but my vehicle is an earlier version than what is shown so this isnt the same. I Have a genuine Lotus manual/service notes workshop folder which shows the earlier version and both the fuel and roof cover release cables are secured in the same way. I've fabricated a bracket now which seems to work ok just have to adjust the cable which is very fiddly! Yes relay from SJ as you state still awaiting delivery
Joe Roberts

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 08.07.2019, 20:42

I have the V2 guide and it still shows the same as all the others. It lists parts for the NA and is dated early 1990. Any chance you could send/post a picture of the door jam, B Pillar and the cable?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Joe Roberts » Tue 09.07.2019, 21:24

Struggling to upload a photo as system saying its too big? anyway my Elan has the older catch mechanism which has one latch assembly on each side of the aperture and the the handle pull on the o/s b post.

Good news is the lights now work with the new pod delay relay! whoop whoop. one job down many others to go!
Joe Roberts

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 10.07.2019, 04:49

That sounds like my car. The cable housing has a large "disk" type end that goes on the outside of the hole, the housing goes through the hole, the washer and nut and slip on the housing and gets tightened to secure it to the B post and then the cable runs around to the first latch, connects and then continues to the second latch.

I believe that your stowage cable starts on the drivers and goes around while the fuel door cable starts on the passenger side and goes directly to the fuel door.

I will confirm it when I look at the RHD body in the shop.

I will dig out a cable set and take a picture of the cable on a RHD car.

You can email me your picture and I will re-size it for you as well.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 10.07.2019, 22:58

Joe,

I just sent you an email that contains a ZIP File with a bunch of pictures of my stowage cable setup as well as a few from the UK car I use for my shift cable adjustments.

If you don't receive it, let me know and also let me know if you have another email address because Google Mail loves to refuse emails from other hosts.

I sent it directly to you as it is 3mb and LEC is limited to a maximum 2mb file and I didn't feel like splitting it into two files.

I could upload them to this post, but there are 15 files and that would take a while to accomplish.

I hope the pictures clear up any questions you have.

The Stowage Cable is installed in the R/H (your driver's side) "B" Post. The hole in the L/H side is for the fuel lid release cable.

If anyone else wants to receive the picture group, just email me a request and I will reply with the file attached.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:39

Thanks for your email. I see what you are describing. Too bad the Lotus supplied parts book are all newer than the first generation bodies.

Joe is looking for help with the following:

Stowage Cable.jpg
Click for larger view

Fuel Cable.jpg
Click for larger view

Fuel opening.jpg
Click for larger view

Retainer.jpg
Click for larger view

Book.jpg

He could really use replacements for the housings, retainers and cables.

If anyone knows the part numbers or where he can get replacement housings, retainers and cables, please speak up.

The part numbers are not in any books I have found including DeRoure.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to New Members - Introductions