Hi from dougieson

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Hi from dougieson

Postby dougieson » Mon 09.11.2020, 23:32

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for accepting me as a member of your forum.
I'm not a stranger to Lotus as I have owned and restored a 1973 Europa Special and a 1991 Excel Celebration.
I'm now looking for a S2 M100 hopefully with not to much to rectify as I want to enjoy driving it rather than rebuilding it, There is a yellow one for sale on PistonHeads Reg No. N8 LOT. Has anyone any information on this vehicle or an other in similar condition?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
dougieson

Re: Hi from dougieson

Postby rip » Wed 11.11.2020, 18:39

Hi.

That will be an S2. Somebody on here has a record of every known one, but there are many which are missing.
I have never seen it so I don't know how many are missing or how detailed the information is.
I think Clemo or geoffsmith keep this.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dougieson » Wed 11.11.2020, 21:57

Hi
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I'm looking for a S2. Her indoors who must to be obeyed at all times has said it must be a red one.
There is one for sale on ebay but at £14k looks a bit expensive, perhaps I should place a wanted ad. on the site
dougieson

Postby Saltire » Thu 12.11.2020, 13:03

dougieson wrote:Hi
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I'm looking for a S2. Her indoors who must to be obeyed at all times has said it must be a red one.
There is one for sale on ebay but at £14k looks a bit expensive, perhaps I should place a wanted ad. on the site

Of course there’s a difference between what a dealer asks and what a car actually sells for. But £14k isn’t out of the way for a low mileage FSH S2 at a dealer. My S2 - not for sale and BRG anyway - is insured agreed value at £14k, with around the same mileage as the red one, and I think Kathryn’s is about the same - although in her case £11k of that is down to the colour :twisted:

You’ll get an SE for less (and many would argue it’s the better car anyway), but I think if you want an S2, in a particular colour, and you don’t want to spend a fortune on restoration, you’ll do well do get one for under £11-12k.

<sits back and waits for the rumbles of disagreement>
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby dapinky » Thu 12.11.2020, 14:05

Saltire wrote:<sits back and waits for the rumbles of disagreement>

My only disagreement is that you value Kathryns car at £3K + paint........... it is far better than that :lol:

As said, the value of an Elan is in the individual condition, much more than the SE/S2 variation. They are all so similar in age now that the 'newer' S2 no longer commands a premium purely on that basis.

Obviously there are other differences which do add up to make a difference - stuff that was 'standard' on an S2 - like the galvanised wishbones....... but I would suggest that nearly every 'looked after' SE has either had their originals replaced, or it has been sufficiently looked after to keep the originals in good nick.

Personally, I would value a good SE more than an average S2 (for the same price) - but if your preference is for a red S2, then I can't really offer an argument against your choice.... they're all great cars!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby johnj » Thu 12.11.2020, 16:43

Hi dougieson

Welcome

The red car at Carlisle ('cum on ye Blues') has been for sale for some time I'm thinking well over over a year so a deal may be possible. I went to see it when it was first advertised as just down the road from me outside my price bracket but interested to see it. It was traded in against an Elise by someone from Ireland can't remember North or South. Big history file. Condition is subjective but I thought it was good rather than fantastic as I would expect from a £14000 car but it is over quarter of a century old. Check the cambelt was done at the last service. The garage selling it are main Lotus dealers but as far as I could make out they knew very little about Elan.

I would agree with dapinky buy the best you can afford series one or two but if you want a red S2 you want a red S2. Whatever you chose I hope you enjoy

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who are glad to help.
johnj
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Thu 12.11.2020, 17:20

dapinky wrote:
Saltire wrote:<sits back and waits for the rumbles of disagreement>

My only disagreement is that you value Kathryns car at £3K + paint........... it is far better than that :lol:

:agree: Much better! :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby dougieson » Fri 13.11.2020, 21:00

Thank you everyone for all of your help and input.
The S2 in Carlisle is some 260 miles away from where I live, I think I would be happier finding one a bit nearer to home.
"Let the search continue"
dougieson

Postby rip » Fri 13.11.2020, 22:42

It would be nice to see another Elan in Milton Keynes.
I've not even seen much of mine much this year. I've not had much excuse to drive it before I broke my leg..that made it a little difficult.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dougieson » Sat 14.11.2020, 21:35

Hi rip,
Broken leg, that's no joke, this is the time you wish you had an auto!!
Not ideal but probably the best time to be incapacitated in lock down.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
dougieson

Postby rip » Tue 17.11.2020, 23:17

The injury was in August so I am back on my feet now.
The break was quite an awkward one; right at the top of my left femur. The repair will cause me to make airport security arches go beep from now on :-D
I also broke my wrist at the same time.
The only thing I can't do yet is run.
1990 SE
rip
God

Return to New Members - Introductions