A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Postby Hector2021 » Mon 29.08.2022, 15:52

Hello all,
I have been researching and considering the ownership of an M100 for around 2 to 3 years now and seen the prices of them rise over that time. i think i need to jump soon before they get out of my range, and to scratch the long standing itch. Bizzarely however, i have never even sat in an M100, let alone driven one. i dont think i actually even need this experience to know that i would enjoy one, but it would certainly help to know what to look for. I live in Edgworth (Lancashire) so i'm curious as to whether any members fairly close to me are open to an hour of my calling round (or them calling round) so that i can look over one and have a bit of a chat. There is an interesting S2 for sale at a dealer in Urmston so i may go take a look at that, but unfortunatley the salesman isnt going to be exactly impartial. there'll be nothing wrong with it and its will be the best car ever. No doubt he will even have owned one himself.
NMY 1995 S2 No:490
Hector2021

Re: New Member

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 29.08.2022, 19:45

welcome to the forum

there is a section called regional meetings. theres plenty of dead topics there, but you may find something in your area nearby and you can try to PM the people involved.

as far as elan. your dealer opinion is biased, just like the owners club will be.

one thing to note is that, because of this comunity being very active,. and the car being more than 30 years old, there is an extremely high chance that whatever issues you come across, you will find they have already been resolved by smoeone else.

personally In 8 years of ownership. with 5 of them driving it as a daily to work. I never failed to arrive at my destination. HOWEVER i have not been able to return 3 times.
2 of those were my fault for being an idiot
1 - coolant hose burst because radiator fans were not grouded ,
2 - (my fault) Brake caliper bolt snapping because used copper grease on them and they came loose.
3 - (my fault) forgot to put the coolant cap and boiling coolant went over the alarm while queuing on the tyne bridge
4 - my gear cables snapped, which literally speaking did return home on its own power. but that was something that was impossible to predict
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: New Member

Postby Hector2021 » Tue 30.08.2022, 11:16

Thanks for your reply Tuga. I'll be sure to look up any local events and just pester people at will. I did stop and got chatting with a guy who had just got out of his Elan to use the cash machine after me. We probably spoke for about 40 mins.. Much to his girlfriends dismay. I think they were on a night out. I know what its like when common interest people get together. I have a 1972 Spitfire and getting jobs done on it takes twice as long as it should. I have quite a high footfall past my house and someone always stops to look and chat :D
NMY 1995 S2 No:490
Hector2021

Return to New Members - Introductions