Using elanscan

A forum where new members can introduce themselves and be welcomed by existing members.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Using elanscan

Postby Rambo » Wed 04.09.2019, 18:12

This is a very interesting thread, despite much of it going over my mutton head, but I am still trying to follow it.

I would agree with Simon's theory that you are trying to adjust and rectify a problem but that problem is still there. It sounds like you have the nous and skills to get your head round it Chas so here's to reading you get it sorted eventually :cheers:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Chas54 » Sat 07.09.2019, 12:52

Thanks for comments.

I think there is probably still a problem but going with Simon P suggestion , I think it may be injector or reg valve.
I will probably have a look over winter , there a place in Devizes, Wiltshire that will clean and overhaul injectors which sounds a cheaper option than new.

At the moment though, its running far better than when I got it -- about four months ago. I new it smelt rich when I got it but it performed ok otherwise but maybe a bit thirsty.

Ive just replaced the fuel filter , as I have put this cleaning fluid in the tank, I thought I might have a look inside , definitely some crud but not blocked or anything drastic.
The injector bandwidth is around 1.2ms which sounds a little low but the CO is running around 2% .

This is my first experience of messing with petrol injection and ECU issues and I have the information and advice on this forum invaluable.

Ive attached my latest elanscan data, all comments welcome of course.

I had some problems getting an understanding of how to use the elanscan software and the fuel system principles.. I am far more familiar with my Austin Sevens.

Now I am also getting to grips with viewing past articles on this forum , I see some people have quite often had to explain the same thing numerous times to others. I'm just gratefull they haven't got bored with it yet.

Regards

Charlie
Attachments
6sept lymington.zip
(146.16 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Chas54

Postby Rambo » Sat 07.09.2019, 13:42

Personally, I think having the OEM injectors professionally cleaned is a better idea than buying new. Particularly if you've laid the car up over winter and don't require an immediate fix
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Sat 07.09.2019, 15:55

I had a set done a few years ago from the company in Devizes - made quite a noticable difference in the smooth running of the car. They were quite fast turnaround and I have no problem in recommending their service.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Sat 07.09.2019, 19:21

That's good news for all M100 owners with injector problems :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Chas54 » Thu 07.11.2019, 18:00

Now I am SORNed for winter I have just removed the fuel injectors and am going to send them off to Devizes in Wiltshire for a test and clean..

The memcal upgrade proved successful and I ran with some fuel system snake oil through August.

I found removing the plenum chamber awkward though. Being unable to see the bolts on the back of the flange and the petrol line clamps results in some cussing.

So, whilst its off, does anyone think I should be doing anything else at the back of the engine??

I will be testing the fuel reg as well , once I think of a method of pulling a measured vacuum on the diaphragm.

All comments welcomed

regards
Charlie
Chas54

Postby Chas54 » Wed 13.05.2020, 12:56

I have been a bit remiss lately and ignoring the Elan. Trying to sort out a 1927 Austin diff .
Anyway I have now reassembled the Elan with its cleaned and tested injectors. I have now managed to get the CO bellow 2% and its running a lot better. It starts well etc but occasionally on braking the engine will fade and cut out. Possibly coincidental with braking lights load.
I still have some trouble achieving the IAC idle target of 20 though.
If I run the car with the elanscan logging, the IAC will sit at 18 until the cooling fan cuts in and the it will immediately go to 20 ?
Bearing in mind the brake lights load effect I am now suspecting a possible alternator or battery problem.
The battery certainly seems OK when starting and when charging. The alternator has no sign of issues,
I suppose it could be an earthing problem though.

I wondered if someone could direct me to a posted elanscan data set from a known good set up car. I could then compare my voltages and other data .
Chas54

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 13.05.2020, 13:06

Try looking at the grounding points for the fans and the brake lights. If it/they are poor (loose/dirty/corroded), the circuit could be back-feeding through other circuits.

Both the fans and brake lights are fairly heavy current sponges so bad ground connections could be a problem.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Chas54 » Sun 17.05.2020, 13:33

Thanks ,
Bit of cleaning done , I found the description of the earthing points in the manual.
I thought I might be really smart and use a jumper lead from the -ve battery terminal to the radiator frame as this is the cooling fan earth point. previously noting the big droop in battery voltage when the fan cuts in..
I still get much the same effect, the voltage drops , the engine slows a bit and the IAC changes position (count increases) as it should to prevent stall . On cut out the voltage improves and the IAC returns to a lower count but generally one count higher than its pre cut in point. I am wondering if the coolant temperature is slightly lower when the fan cuts out than it was when it cuts in, then this part of the ECM calculation results in the slightly higher number of the IAC count when the fan cuts out. At this time the voltage has recovered. Cut in 110c cut out 102c. The battery voltage dip is minimal 13.9 from 14.2v.

I have noticed the ignition advance goes all over the place at the same time as well.

Having said all this though, the CO , which is the emission figure I have to pass for the Ministry of Transport annual test is around 0.5 % , the figure to pass is around 3% I think. The car runs well and smoothly, starts well etc so I am really only trying to spot the reason for the engine fade when pulling up at junctions. There is a momentary drop in the engine speed which feels almost as if the engine will stop.

I am thinking I might go out for a tootle round the roads whilst data logging because I know the temperature is unlikely to reach 102c whilst the car is moving , usually runs around 82c, and so I may get a more representative picture of what the IAC is doing under realistic conditions. HM government have relaxed the Covid19 lockdown restrictions a little.

I may start a new post asking if anyone has a good set of readings from a 9930 memcal precat car I could look at for comparison.

Again, thanks for comments .

Charlie
Chas54

Previous

Return to New Members - Introductions