Colour Co-ordinated Saturday Convoy - Logistics

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Postby DaveT » Sun 10.02.2008, 11:56

8)

Or alternatively we could do a slow roll for one junction on the motorway line up and then stream off together. Would mean leaving the services about 10 mins earlier. But that way we'd all be line astern. toot toot!!!
DaveT

Postby theelanman » Sun 10.02.2008, 12:09

isnt the HI express on the edge of a sort of buisness park??....
wouldnt theyd have a huge area free on a saturday morning....
an office block car park??.....

anyone live next to donny who might be able to take a quick look on a saturday morning?????
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.02.2008, 12:12

chris.t wrote:
geoffsmith wrote:What about doing a few circuits of the roundabout until it was full of Elans to stop anything coming on but letting the services cars out?

then there is a risk we will become uncoordinated :roll: :wink:

There's enough pink ones to hold the roundabout!

DaveT wrote:Or alternatively we could do a slow roll for one junction on the motorway line up and then stream off together. Would mean leaving the services about 10 mins earlier. But that way we'd all be line astern. toot toot!!!

Up the Ashby Road to the roundabout at J24 and back could work.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Enright » Sun 10.02.2008, 12:48

geoffsmith wrote:
chris.t wrote:
geoffsmith wrote:What about doing a few circuits of the roundabout until it was full of Elans to stop anything coming on but letting the services cars out?

then there is a risk we will become uncoordinated :roll: :wink:

There's enough pink ones to hold the roundabout!

Now I'm sure THAT would be frowned upon if we got caught by the local plod! :shock:

geoffsmith wrote:
DaveT wrote:Or alternatively we could do a slow roll for one junction on the motorway line up and then stream off together. Would mean leaving the services about 10 mins earlier. But that way we'd all be line astern. toot toot!!!

Up the Ashby Road to the roundabout at J24 and back could work.

Unfortunately there are traffic lights all the way round that roundabout, so it wouldn't. Sorry.

Even if we moved the convoy start to the nearby business park, there is still the problem of negotiating a roundabout or getting split up by traffic lights outside EMA and Donington itself on the way there. But as long as we're more or less all in order, then even if there is the odd Vectra or Mondeo in the middle, they won't be following us into our car park anyway, so it shouldn't matter.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby chris.t » Sun 10.02.2008, 12:54

agreed Neil, having done a few on these convoys and seen what happens, participants eagerness to keep the convoy together can become quite hazardous. Everyone getting to Donny safely without annoying other road users is the order of the day not necessarily colour coordinated :wink:
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Enright » Sun 10.02.2008, 13:26

Oh don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of a colour coordinated convoy, and I think that the idea of re-posting the colour separated car-park map will make it much easier for it to happen.

But there are 4 parts to this as I see it:
The first is the meeting at Donington services, which is a bit of a social all of its own.
The second is the spectacle of the convoy for those who are involved in it. If the the odd interloper gets caught in it, no big deal (unless they're spoiling MY view)!
The third is the arrival at Donington, which may pee a few off, but it certainly gets the M100 Elan noticed as a marque rather than just being "the forgotten Lotus".
And the fourth is the spectacle of seeing the rainbow of colours parked up at Donington.

If we get the first bit right, then the rest will be easy and needn't be hazardous at all.

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby dapinky » Sun 10.02.2008, 13:43

If i remember correctly, there were a few places where the colour co-ordination risks being upset:-

as long as we leave the car park in some semblance of order, then most of the rest takes care of itself.

A slow run up one junction sorts it all out nicely and looks good.

The other 'problem' is turning right into Donny itself - if there are cars from the other direction going into the show themselves, they tend to get mixed in - perhaps the only way round that is to approach the venue from the other direction, leaving us a left turn onto the site. Not knowing the area or roads at all, i don't know if it is viable to have a different route or use a suitable roundabout??????
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.02.2008, 14:21

dapinky wrote:The other 'problem' is turning right into Donny itself - if there are cars from the other direction going into the show themselves, they tend to get mixed in - perhaps the only way round that is to approach the venue from the other direction, leaving us a left turn onto the site. Not knowing the area or roads at all, i don't know if it is viable to have a different route or use a suitable roundabout??????

I went back that way last year and thought about it, but I don't think there is an exit off the A42 J14 and I think there is a rather bad uphill blind-ish junction to turn right at.

Personally, the blat up the M1 with the Leicester Forest with the South East crew was more fun than the convoy. Yeah, I know. Heretic, burn me at the stake. :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby chris.t » Sun 10.02.2008, 16:59

Enright wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of a colour coordinated convoy, and I think that the idea of re-posting the colour separated car-park map will make it much easier for it to happen.

I will repost that plan of the car park nearer the time when the numbers will be better known of each colour. Incidentally, has anyone got a load haler?

"GENTLEMAN WOULD YOU PLEASE START YOUR ENGINES" :P
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Gary » Sun 10.02.2008, 17:58

The other thing that splits it up is people going tooo fast. The slower you go the easier it is for the guy (or gal) to to follow.
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby inkitin » Sun 10.02.2008, 18:45

chris.t wrote:I will repost that plan of the car park nearer the time when the numbers will be better known of each colour. Incidentally, has anyone got a load haler?

"GENTLEMAN WOULD YOU PLEASE START YOUR ENGINES" :P

Ooooohhhh Yeeesssssss!! :smt110 I can just imagine 100 or so Elan engines starting up at the same time !!! :burnout: The hair has just stood up on the back of my neck !! :-D
Last edited by inkitin on Sun 10.02.2008, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby Specky » Sun 10.02.2008, 18:46

Gary wrote:The other thing that splits it up is people going tooo fast for the N/A's. The slower you go the easier it is for Clemo to to follow.

:-D

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.02.2008, 18:54

Specky wrote:
Gary wrote:The other thing that splits it up is people going tooo fast for the N/A's. The slower you go the easier it is for Clemo to to follow.

Put Gary in front then.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Convoy will now leave at 6:30. :-D
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Specky » Sun 10.02.2008, 19:32

Now if we all turn up friday we won't need a colour coordinated convoy saturday..

We could manage it.. calling all engineers.. :wink:
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby theelanman » Sun 10.02.2008, 21:57

remember this???
Attachments
donington small.jpg
donington small.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Specky » Sun 10.02.2008, 22:33

Remember this..
Attachments
donny.jpg
donny.jpg (406.95 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
Specky

Postby nchase » Mon 11.02.2008, 21:14

Ah yes, but the first was properly arrange and discussed with Lotus so they reserved the space and we went in colour coordination. Last year no-one arranged the parking (this year they have) and last year I couldn't be arsed to try and get you all in a colour coordinated pattern and this year I am unlikely to be there, so my colleagues Chris and Neil are going to take on the task.

The key is safety and everyone understanding what the parade is about. Remember a parade of this size should have MSC approval and I know that the local constabulary won't support it, I spoke to them two years ago and they weren't prepared to assist in anyway.

That said it's the biggest buzz of the Lotus Elan Year and I am just a pissed off miserable git who is going to miss it.
nchase
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Tue 18.03.2008, 08:32

theelanman wrote:remember this???

brilliant.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Enright » Wed 19.03.2008, 20:42

A call for help:

Nick Chase did a great job of doing the drivers' briefing before the convoy got underway the year before last.
Last year he handed out cards to everyone.
Unfortunately this year he can't make Donington.
Does anyone have any of the cards from last year, and if so, could they post the script here please?

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Specky » Wed 19.03.2008, 20:49

Ask Monty..

It might be still on his windscreen... :shock:

TTFN
Specky

PreviousNext

Return to Historical Donington Pictures