Not so Pinky III

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Not so Pinky III

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.11.2017, 00:50

par wrote:Looks like we are both doing similar work at the moment, I have stripped down the passenger side and removed the window. As expected the butterfly clip broke upon removal and one of the sliders was broken so ordered the bits from Wayne and decided to replace the centre regulator slider at the same time, which I changed tonight.

I also found the rails were all gunged up and any lubricant had combined with dirt and dust to form a sticky paste so have cleaned these up and applied fresh vasoline so hopefully will be a bit smoother when all put back together.

Will be keeping an eye on your progress for any tips :D

Yes very similar work ;-)
I'm now having to wait for my centre regulator sliders, I've ordered for the passenger side also just in case.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 28.11.2017, 01:52

Word of warning about overhauling windows.... about 10 years ago the passenger window on my other SE was getting slower and slower and didn't fit against the hood or hardtop very well so I gave it an overhaul. Got rid of the 'cheddar cheese' and put some fresh slippery grease in,reset the runners and it whizzed up and down and sealed nicely against the hardtop. Was feeling smug and had left the door card off in case I wanted to tweak it further... but when I hit a pothole the old butterfly clip broke and the glass dropped at speed inside the door and exploded into 'a trillion bits', a lot of them coming into the car on the passenger side. :banghead:

So If you have a freely moving glass I'd definitely recommend fitting a new butterfly clip.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Jamie N » Tue 28.11.2017, 09:53

You could stick a couple of closed cell foam blocks on the bottom of the door to cushion the glass if it ever did drop, be a lot cheaper than a new door glass. Also bear in mind Steve if your battery is not 100 % and you are putting the window's up and down without the engine running you might think it's not sliding properly when it's actually low power, just a thought.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby chrisP » Tue 28.11.2017, 15:17

You could try re greasing with a silicon grease, it doesn't seem to break down the same as mineral ones. I found that I had to adjust the angle (fore /aft and inwards/outwards) of the front and back guides. if you loosen them off, the window should go up and down easy as they move around - then you have to find the sweet spot and tighten them up.

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.11.2017, 17:08

Jamie N wrote:You could stick a couple of closed cell foam blocks on the bottom of the door to cushion the glass if it ever did drop, be a lot cheaper than a new door glass. Also bear in mind Steve if your battery is not 100 % and you are putting the window's up and down without the engine running you might think it's not sliding properly when it's actually low power, just a thought.

Yeah I had though of that, I also had the engine running. :smt023
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.11.2017, 17:16

chrisP wrote:You could try re greasing with a silicon grease, it doesn't seem to break down the same as mineral ones. I found that I had to adjust the angle (fore /aft and inwards/outwards) of the front and back guides. if you loosen them off, the window should go up and down easy as they move around - then you have to find the sweet spot and tighten them up.

Chris

That would be my angle of attack, I bet the guys in the factory that set these up were like Jedi's 8)
Finding the sweet spot and the window being in the right position :smt072
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 28.11.2017, 18:50

Steve A wrote: ..., I bet the guys in the factory that set these up were like Jedi's 8)
Finding the sweet spot and the window being in the right position :smt072

:agree: They must know exactly where to add the packing washers to get the desired adjustment for each window glass as curvature isn't very consistent. Spud sold me a replacement green tint passenger side glass and did it fit straight in?
Did it heck! Was right back to square 1 on adjusting runners but the more you practice the better you get ... :lol:
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Steve A » Tue 28.11.2017, 19:39

:agree: Get it right without the weather strip (it just gets in the way) then when your happy put the strip back on
after taking the glass out etc etc :bonk:
Steve A
God

Postby chrisP » Thu 30.11.2017, 12:44

Also Steve, I have just remembered... I packed out the top of the front guide with some spacers (pushing the guide further into the door by a couple of mm's). That helped a lot with the line up of the window and the A pillar seals. Also make sure you have the Aluminium spacers in place at the bottom of the rear guide, they are rounded lozenge shape with two holes in.

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Mon 04.12.2017, 14:06

I've fitted a new centre slide block as the original was broken causing it to lock up as it twisted on all the old sludge.
Just the simple matter of setting the glass to run freely or should I say as freely as it can be. :roll: :wink:
Everything is adjustable :bonk:

Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 04.12.2017, 14:35

You're be a Jedi soon Steve ... :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Steve A » Mon 04.12.2017, 17:07

lotusflasherman wrote:You're be a Jedi soon Steve ... :lol:

:) I'm trying.
Thinking out loud: :smt017
Because there is no real fixed datum to set everything up to
you've kinda governed by how the guide rails sit relative to the glass and slidersr,
So if you have one too many spacers or one missing your going to struggle.

I'm making sure my battery is fully charged for a good session tomorrow :bonk:
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Tue 05.12.2017, 14:05

:D The drivers side window is now working as it should. :bananasex:
What was really confusing me :? is that once I'd replaced all the missing and broken parts
the lock end glass seemed to touch the top seal as you slowly closed the door far too early compared to the passenger side :?
at the point where the seal just touches there is still a gap of 25mm at the bottom of the glass :?
I ended up removing all the spacers at the bottom of the lock end rail (12.5mm). :?

I've also removed the window from the passenger door, the only thing I can see wrong so far is he centre slider has broken the same as the drivers side (I have a spare),
and the top rear slider is a short version instead of the full version.
So this side should hopefully be a straight forward clean up and rebuild :)
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 06.12.2017, 14:04

As I have shown on another post, progress has been made :-D
The seal is just resting on the door but I have achieved the required bend :D
I have spent most of my precious time this morning removing the rails etc of my passenger side
the cleaning and replacing takes far too long but it's got to be done. :roll:

Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Wed 06.12.2017, 18:48

See I told you could curve it a bit more ! :D .

You might have added the end cap and polished the glass for a better picture presentation :-D .

Good job nonetheless Steve ;-) .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Steve A » Wed 06.12.2017, 18:56

Jamie N wrote:
You might have added the end cap and polished the glass for a better picture presentation :-D .

Well if I had more time :roll: I had to go to work :(
Steve A
God

Postby clemo » Wed 06.12.2017, 19:03

was wondering about an end cap . I guess thats on the tidy up / next picture .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Rambo » Thu 07.12.2017, 14:39

Just stick a wadge of butyl rubber on the end to make it look a bit nearer until you have a better fix :smt023
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby Steve A » Fri 08.12.2017, 17:12

:D After adding the "subtle bend" to the passenger side weather seal and doing some "fine fettling"
I screwed the seal to the door using the four especially crafted brackets and some new stainless screws.
If he bend is true to the door shape little pressure is required to align the brackets.
Once again I ran out o time before it all had to go back in the garage for another day :roll:
Steve A
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)