XIL - A Rolling Project

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: XIL - A Rolling Project

Postby cliff » Wed 28.11.2018, 22:42

The rack was put on the test rig and worked fine, no stiffness, the adjustment was checked and set correctly after my messing around. Installed today, I did pay particular attention to the position of the UJ's on the intermediate shaft, pretty sure I just put it together last time.

UJ's.pdf
(328.47 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Not sure how much difference it will make but a good reminder to RTFM! :oops:

Column and fluid in the morning.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby cliff » Sat 01.12.2018, 15:54

Its been a long time coming but finally got there.

20181201_142504 (Copy).jpg

Not all good news though.

It will not idle properly despite setting the base timing and many adjustments, it passed the emissions test easily but doesn't sound good. The only obvious thing I found was that the knock sensor is disconnected, not sure how much that will affect the idle. I have tried to reconnect it but no joy so far, it is in a horrible place!

Leaving the testing station, the gear problem raised its ugly head again, stuck in a forward gear! I got the guys to push me backwards with the clutch in then limped the short distance home in what feels like 2nd. I had the gearbox overhauled to cure the crunch into 3rd gear, since then going from reverse to a forward gear causes an intermittant lock out. I have replaced the selector, the whole gear lever assembly and adjusted the cables more times than I can count. The cables are the modified ones from he who shall not be named. I had no gear problems before I took the engine out and it worked fine when I took it for a run prior to the MoT. Maybe the orientation or positioning of the cables could be causing this.

I really am sick of this car at the moment, I have never worked on anything, car or airplane, that has fought back as much as this one.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 01.12.2018, 16:49

Cliff:

It sounds like the 5th gear retaining nut has come loose. It is an easy thing to check, but will require draining the gearbox or it will dump the lube when you remove the 5th gear cover plate. Maybe, the repair shop didn't dimple the nut flange enough and it has "backed-off" allowing the gears to "float" more than acceptable.

Look at John_W's write-up here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14484&p=346995#p346995

I have no suggestion about the knock sensor, but it is something the ECM checks frequently, so it might cause poor running. You could drop the Prongeron

To gain better access. You don't need to support the suspension as far as I can see. It is easier to do it from a lift, but I actually replaced an oil sump on one of mine while it was up on the car trailer. There was enough room under the trailer for my fat butt... Took about an hour or so, so not a huge project.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby cliff » Sat 01.12.2018, 23:16

Hi John,

thanks for the input. I had the 5th gear issue a few years ago and it was sorted by Gerald at GST, this one can be reset with a screwdriver and is intermittent. Reading John W's write up it points to the selector box issue. If all else fails, I will open it up for a look.

I checked the closed loop manual for info about the knock sensor, it says remove the prongeron & starter for access (EMJ3 page 27) The prongeron is easy, takes about 10 minutes, certainly on my car, it's been on and off more times than an ex Suits actresses underwear! :roll:

Just need a little enthusiasm.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 01.12.2018, 23:34

If you find you need a shift selector box, I have several used ones that came off working GEO Storm gearboxes. They are the same...

I also have a NEW one (from a new NA gearbox) but it won't be any better than one that hasn't been played with.

Have you verified that the shift cables are allowing the selector to go into absolute neutral? If one is a bit tight (short or long) it might confuse the selector.

It took me around 50 attempts to get one of Bob B.'s kits assembled correctly and actually shift the gearbox to my satisfaction. I made a "jig" out of shift lever parts to create a starting point for assembly. Then I just have to tweak the fittings at the gearbox. (this is why I pre-assemble, install my cables and adjust them before I ship them).

If you want to "talk" about this and you have a UK 01 phone number, I can call for free, so I can answer any questions. Just email me the phone number and let me know what would be a good time to call. (I am 5 hours behind the UK...).
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby cliff » Mon 03.12.2018, 10:41

The selector box is a 'new' one so I will concentrate on the cables initially, even though they were fine before I removed the gearbox.

Thanks for the support, I came to Cyprus yesterday so that and our new project further south, means I probably won't be able to do anything with the car until after the new year. Several hours of cable adjustments is not something to look forward to!
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby cliff » Wed 12.12.2018, 23:07

Gearbox put back into neutral, it seems to be working fine now. :? :?

New knock sensor coming tomorrow. looks like a fun job.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

cliff
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 13.12.2018, 01:04

email sent.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)