Project Return The Orange Peril To The Road.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Return The Orange Peril To The Road.

Postby Rambo » Thu 17.09.2020, 09:09

dapinky wrote:Ah, that looks so much better when fitted to the correct sides!

Always said that Stevo "didnae ken his earse fae his elbae" :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby CallMeLegend » Thu 17.09.2020, 09:14

Rambo wrote:
dapinky wrote:Ah, that looks so much better when fitted to the correct sides!

Always said that Stevo "didnae ken his earse fae his elbae" :lol:

In his defence I belive it was the Autoglass guy
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Thu 17.09.2020, 17:38

Yes, thought so.

Stevo is a top bloke and very practical. I was just having a bit of a dig at an old mate. LEC, and particularly the trips and weekends away, are poorer places without the likes of Stevo and his escapades. I'm sure the TVR sites are benefitting from his exploits though :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby CallMeLegend » Sun 20.09.2020, 20:36

Made some progress on the windscreen surround this weekend.

Got the A pillar & header corners painted

In preparation for the new, one piece windscreen surround seal the recessed area at the ends of the header needed levelling out, so I floated n a piece of 2mm ABS on a bed of Tiger Seal.

The duct tape fixing for the A pillar drains has been replaced with a better solution too.

Also did a trial fit of the new roof seals, some adjustment needed but they will be fine.

Now just to wait for the screen end trims so I can finish the screen area off, new seals & all.

The B post (falling pillar) seal in also being replaced, it carrier however has to come off as they are manky.

A quick paint strip & some Deox-C

They are going to need a while in there!!!

Finished making the closing panels for the doors from 2mm ABS, they will have some Dynamat strips to reduce resonance.

CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Sun 20.09.2020, 20:56

With such manky A and B post channels and seals I can't but help think that you will have hidden problems under the carpet ie cills/outriggers. I hope I'm wrong Mark :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby CallMeLegend » Sun 20.09.2020, 21:27

Rambo wrote:With such manky A and B post channels and seals I can't but help think that you will have hidden problems under the carpet ie cills/outriggers. I hope I'm wrong Mark :?

Thus far little evidence at all. Had a poke around behind the carpet, will have the carpet out totally over the winter to address any issues
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 21.09.2020, 03:59

CallMeLegend wrote:Image

Looks like your A pillar drain plug has been filled in too (I discovered mine was when taking all that stuff off too). Very :? that that would be the factory detail, but also :? how two different series cars, in different markets would have gotten the same aftermarket treatment. I had an air compressor on the bottom of one of my drains and couldn't even get the slightest whiff past that rubber plug at the top. I ended up drilling them out with a small drill bit and then using a small pick and tweezers. I mean the whole thing is kind of wishful thinking based on how high up that drain hole is, that any water pooled in the recess at the top of the A pillar would go in the drain before spilling over one of the sides first...but then why go to all the trouble of putting the drain hose in, in the first place? Hope the new Jamie seal just blocks it all out for you anyway.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby CallMeLegend » Mon 21.09.2020, 07:27

TorqueHorse wrote:
CallMeLegend wrote:Image

Looks like your A pillar drain plug has been filled in too (I discovered mine was when taking all that stuff off too). Very :? that that would be the factory detail, but also :? how two different series cars, in different markets would have gotten the same aftermarket treatment. I had an air compressor on the bottom of one of my drains and couldn't even get the slightest whiff past that rubber plug at the top. I ended up drilling them out with a small drill bit and then using a small pick and tweezers. I mean the whole thing is kind of wishful thinking based on how high up that drain hole is, that any water pooled in the recess at the top of the A pillar would go in the drain before spilling over one of the sides first...but then why go to all the trouble of putting the drain hose in, in the first place? Hope the new Jamie seal just blocks it all out for you anyway.

Yes. I have filled the recess in as part of fitting Jamie's header seal in, but left the drain pipes in place just in case I've not fully sealed it off
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 21.09.2020, 19:34

Ahh, makes sense. Looking great BTW!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby CallMeLegend » Mon 28.09.2020, 08:46

During the recent wet sanding escapades it was evident that the Stevo's attempts at de locking missy had started to crack.

So at fairly large expense (well over £100) I sourced a full set of lock, keyed alike & thought I'd have a go at de-delocking the car, the door will need repainting if I don't due to the sunken filler, so may save some cash.

A door lock & operating rod is required.

Along with the spring clip to hole the lock in, these were new old stock, so were rusty.

So into the Deox-C with them, followed by etch prime & satin Black.

All went well, the rods were purgatory to fit, ideally you'd strip the window out to make hand room, but that's for another day.

Next on the list was to bond & set the rivnuts for the header & A pillar seal. I mixed up some DP460 adhesive, abraded & degreased all parts thoroughly, then set the M3 rivnuts in place, very gently as the M3 mandrill on the rivnut tool is easy to snap off (don't ask how I found that out).

Seal carrier fits a dream.

Remember he scabby falling pillar roof seals from before?

They have been in Deox-C for 4 days & for good measure also treated with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 as a double measure. Still need etch primer & satin Black to finish.

Final job was to fit the new main beam units that I found in the boot, never as simple as it seams, the carriers are rotten through (isn't everything).

As with many things, OEM parts are no longer available, but there is a CAD model for a simple carrier that Toby from LEC did, but I wasn't 100% happy with the design of it, so I used to pre existing CAD model as the basis for my 3d printed carbon parts that I have ordered, the 3 off mounting holes are having stainless threaded inserts bonded in, rather than self tappers like the existing CAD & I have removed some material to reduce build time & material content (therefore reducing cost).

CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby CallMeLegend » Tue 29.09.2020, 11:26

Got some satin Black paint on the falling pillar seal carriers last night.

There's some pitting evident for where the corrosion was removed, thought about filling it to smooth out, but decided to leave it as the patina is all port of the story the cr has to tell in years to come, it was never intended to make a concours winner after all.

CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby CallMeLegend » Wed 30.09.2020, 09:58

Typically the front screen side trims arrived yesterday, sadly the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

This is frustrating as getting the windscreen side trims on unlocks a whole load of work, including A pillar/header seals & roof seals which ultimately SHOULD result in a watertight car, or at the worst a less leaky car.
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby CallMeLegend » Thu 01.10.2020, 23:27

MORE 3D PRINTED GOODIES....

The windscreen corner pieces are no longer available, so yes, time to get my own 3d printed in Nylon PA12, dust with satin black paint for that original look. Very similar to Toby's. Some minorchages so I am happy with them. Biggest chage is the material, non porous SLS Nylon.

These are 0,8mm thick, due to the wonder of laser sintering, totally doable in Nylon.

CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby CallMeLegend » Sun 04.10.2020, 18:19

More progress, once the rain had stopped.

Managed to get the new screen side trim pieces, A pillar seal carriers fitted & did a test fit of Jamie's seals before committing to Sikaflex.

Also plugged in one of the LED headlights I found on EBAY to see how it compares....

Last edited by CallMeLegend on Sun 04.10.2020, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 04.10.2020, 19:40

Looking good. :smt023

Do the pods raise with the LED unit?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Sun 04.10.2020, 20:10

Very neat :wink:

Just a question about the LED's...... they look much brighter but what is the range and spread like compared to the OEM ones ?
Last edited by Rambo on Sun 04.10.2020, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby CallMeLegend » Sun 04.10.2020, 20:11

GeoffSmith wrote:Looking good. :smt023

Do the pods raise with the LED unit?

Didn't get that far sadly, light was against me.
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 04.10.2020, 20:45

CallMeLegend wrote:…light was against me.

Well it would be if you were stood in front of them. :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby CallMeLegend » Fri 09.10.2020, 10:17

The LED main beam appears to work quite well, my mounting rings were rottenso I 3d printed some in SLS Nylon PA12.

Bonded in some bushes to make a strong M4 thread.

Once cured I trimmed off the glue squeeze & test assembled it all using new, flange head M5 screws.

And in it goes.

Once the other side is done I'll get some night time photos to see what the difference in brightness is.
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Wed 14.10.2020, 18:52

When I saw this heading I thought it was big Donald’s re-election campaign :lol:
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)